What is the closest you have come to buying the farm skiing?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: What is the closest you have come to buying the farm skiing?

Post by connyro » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:30 pm

randoskier wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:18 pm
connyro wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm
I'll bite. Waterville Valley resort 1990. Winter break from college charging the groomers, not a care in the world and going too fast. Crashed into an unfortunate woman full on that I didn't see until too late as she cut onto my trail suddenly. I tried to avoid her but ended up clipping her and smacking my head on the ice, momentarily knocking the sense out of me. When I come to, the woman's I assume husband is beating on me with his ski poles and cussing in French. She was unharmed by the collision thank god but boyfriend/husband was murderous with rage. I was glad to be on skis at that moment so I could get the f out of there. Not exactly a glorious story but that dude was seriously pissed and a lesson was learned the hard way...
Some French dude yesterday plowed into a five-year old and killed her, she was standing in a lesson on an easy slope.. he was flying. He is volunteer fireman and tried to revive her, and failed. I feel bad for everyone involved.
Ugh that's terrible. I would hate taking someone out like that. There's really no excuse when you are hauling ass

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:35 pm

connyro wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:30 pm
randoskier wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:18 pm
connyro wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm
I'll bite. Waterville Valley resort 1990. Winter break from college charging the groomers, not a care in the world and going too fast. Crashed into an unfortunate woman full on that I didn't see until too late as she cut onto my trail suddenly. I tried to avoid her but ended up clipping her and smacking my head on the ice, momentarily knocking the sense out of me. When I come to, the woman's I assume husband is beating on me with his ski poles and cussing in French. She was unharmed by the collision thank god but boyfriend/husband was murderous with rage. I was glad to be on skis at that moment so I could get the f out of there. Not exactly a glorious story but that dude was seriously pissed and a lesson was learned the hard way...
Some French dude yesterday plowed into a five-year old and killed her, she was standing in a lesson on an easy slope.. he was flying. He is volunteer fireman and tried to revive her, and failed. I feel bad for everyone involved.
Ugh that's terrible. I would hate taking someone out like that. There's really no excuse when you are hauling ass
Yeah and he feels it, a stupid error of judgement can change your life and others'. Sad.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm

I went out after a wind event one time. Not expecting to find any good snow I took my dbl camber skis to do some exploring. I came to the bottom of a cross loaded gulley that I had skied many times in the past. I checked the surface conditions and it seemed to be not too bad carvable wind buff. If I had different skis I would have skied it.

I continued my tour and got to a spot where I was looking down at that same gulley. I was surprised to see three guys digging a pit on the flat area at the bottom of the gulley. Almost immediately the whole slope gave way. Nobody got hurt or buried, but they spent almost an hour looking for their gear. According to the report they submited to the avy center they remotely triggered it by digging the pit. The crown was three feet thick and certainly capable of causing harm or death especially to a lone skier. I was sure glad I had the "wrong" skis that day.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:22 pm

Montana St Alum wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:40 pm
randoskier wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:39 pm
Montana St Alum wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:20 pm
I almost wet my pants once, stuck on the chair. It was horrible.
My cousin was going up a chair at Glen Ellen in VT and stuck his tongue out at me when I was under it which promptly froze to the chair rail- sucked for him at end! ... he ate cold soup for a long time.
We could have combined forces. Warm urine and all....
A joint USAF Navy exercise

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:26 pm

randoskier wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:22 pm
Montana St Alum wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:40 pm
randoskier wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:39 pm

My cousin was going up a chair at Glen Ellen in VT and stuck his tongue out at me when I was under it which promptly froze to the chair rail- sucked for him at end! ... he ate cold soup for a long time.
We could have combined forces. Warm urine and all....
A joint USAF Navy exercise
Word!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Not skiing, but learning to ride snowboard.
Not buy the farm, but probably acquired 10% of the farm that day.

This one looked stupid, but felt concussive. Coming to the end of a run, slowing down on my heel edge. As a novice, did not grasp how slower speeds require progressively more pressure come to a full, complete, safe stop. I didn't pressure the heel edge enough, let the board go flat side, and caught the toe edge, by mistake.

In motorcycle terminology, it was a high-side. Slingshot face forward. And of course, right near the chairlift entrance. Remember taking about 5-minutes to get up, and during that time experienced random yellow lights, similar to a traffic light, flash in and out of the field of view.

Not the whole farm, just 10%. Eventually I progressed back to two sticks, I much prefer falling to the side.
Last edited by joeatomictoad on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 pm

Sent in error.
Last edited by joeatomictoad on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:34 pm

hucked a cliff at the local resort on xmas day when I was 17. resort was closed, had to hike down half the mountain to my truck. 45 min drive to the hospital. I was in shock, so had windows down to keep from passing out. got to the ER and couldn't get out of truck. had to think the horn until someone came out. my back was fractured in 3 places and my body temp was 90' degrees. hypothermia, shock, broken back. I would have died of exposure if I had not made it back to my car, or passed out driving and hit a tree. yup, farm was nearly purchased .

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:36 pm

mine are subtle, maybe not close, maybe too close depending on your experience and risk tolerance.

1) Was skiing solo in non-avy terrain after unusually high-ratio snow for cali. In about 3 ft of powder I had my tips submarine and went face first and was completely covered. I was able to relax and get myself uncovered (the light pow taketh and giveth) and realized that maybe I shouldn't be doing this solo.

2) I was with a group of randoms and we were way to casual with everything. The day turned into an absolute epic that is too long for the margins here, but the broken ski in my avatar happened on this trip (not my ski, but those are the stays out of my backpack). On the last climb out the AT fellows were leaving me in the dust... and going the wrong way. I knew it, but couldn't communicate with them. It was getting dark, so I thought the best thing to do was to follow them to try and stick together even though it was bringing us right into a major slide path on a considerable day with all the major risks in play. To top it off we had to solo the 10ft cornice to gain the ridge. Nothing catastrophic happened, but we were supremely lucky.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:16 am

Yesterday's news.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50331968/bo ... ski-resort

A very accomplished outdoorsman, 68. Details are a bit sketchy, but it doesn't look like he did anything way out of the ordinary.
Regardless of past outcomes be prepared for today.

To paraphrase an old saying, you can't stop the bullet with your name on it, but you can try to dodge the ones that say, "To whom it may concern".