The sudden demise of the greatest European Telemark Festivals

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

The sudden demise of the greatest European Telemark Festivals

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:48 am

The Demise of the two largestt Telemark Fesitvals in Europe- Partly Covid partly generational.

Bye bye Black Shoes festival in France and bye bye Skieada in Italia! They looks to be fo-ver gone.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: The sudden demise of the greatest European Telemark Festivals

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm

That's too bad, the big ones seemed to have bit the bullet, but there are still some at smaller areas. I always wanted to hit the one in Lavigno, it looked like a good time. Have you been there?

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:22 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm
That's too bad, the big ones seemed to have bit the bullet, but there are still some at smaller areas. I always wanted to hit the one in Lavigno, it looked like a good time. Have you been there?
I skied there a bunch but we never made the festival, it was very late in the season, now we wish we had (ah regrets!) . There is a tunnel from Livigno it is like 18km long, very low, rough rock, and it is one way! It was made for the Hydro Electric project. They alternate direction every few hours, it goes to St Moritz, we skied there one day with the Oligarchs. Great skiing, actually few people on the slopes as they are busy bronzing and wailing champagne (or more likely- vodka), Livigno is great skiing too, so is nearby Bormio and San Catarina.

Maybe they will come back? ...but I doubt it. Young people are more inward focused now- more solitary ear-buds and their phones than 200 watt Marantz stereos with 15 inch woofers blaring at a big party, generation selfie. I see the change in the huts too- people used to talk and tell stories more, even sing. Now they just edit their videos and play video games and write social media posts and fly drones around. It must be horrible to be so attached to an electronic appliance that you can't go out in the woods and just be. Oh well "progress"

The best huts have zero cell reception, largely the case in northern Norway/Sweden- hooray! Some have a guitar! I have a friend in Iceland who runs a remote BnB on Hornstrandir (The Old Doctor's House) for a couple of months each summer- he does not allow guests to use phones! All the Icelanders sing at that one, it is a great ambiance (if you are not within earshot of my singing).

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:41 pm

Skiing fakie telemark has a special sense of awesomeness. But fakie tele in traditional clothing, with lurk?... too much stoke!

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:48 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:41 pm
Skiing fakie telemark has a special sense of awesomeness. But fakie tele in traditional clothing, with lurk?... too much stoke!
It sets them atingle

hunter933

Post by hunter933 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Not navigated to this page to read about the demise. Not very informative.