Telescoping XC ski poles

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
dave52

Telescoping XC ski poles

Post by dave52 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:23 am

Has anyone found a reliable and durable pair of telescoping ski poles that they enjoy for XC touring? Are fixed height that much better?

I've been looking at a few pairs but they seem to cap out at <= 140cm, I'm 6'2" so would prefer longer than this, and something that is decently strong to hold up for some years.

The telescoping feature would be great to compact poles for travel, and I drag friends out skiing, having the adjustable pole height for people of different sizes would be nice.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Re: Telescoping XC ski poles

Post by stilltryin » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:15 pm

I like my Black Diamond Traverse, and my wife likes her carbon version (whatever it's called). No issues, never gave it a lot of thought. According to the numbers on the pole, mine goes to 155cm. Handy for many reasons to adjust (like traversing a slope). I'm also 6'2".
Last edited by stilltryin on Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:40 pm

6'3"
BD Traverse Pro (has safety release straps that work -- "SwitchRelease™ breakaway technology strap").
After 350 miles / 55k vertical, they seem pretty decent.
I fall a lot and have put minor bends in them that I have been able to mostly straighten out, so would say at least as durable as any other option.
Spec'ed to 155cm.

dave52

Post by dave52 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:07 am

Thanks for the endorsement, nice to hear 2 for Black Diamond

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:06 pm

dave52 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:23 am
Has anyone found a reliable and durable pair of telescoping ski poles that they enjoy for XC touring? Are fixed height that much better?

I've been looking at a few pairs but they seem to cap out at <= 140cm, I'm 6'2" so would prefer longer than this, and something that is decently strong to hold up for some years.

The telescoping feature would be great to compact poles for travel, and I drag friends out skiing, having the adjustable pole height for people of different sizes would be nice.
I second the Black Diamond Traverse pole at 155cm! They are durable- I have been skiing this pair since 2017, many KMs and not a few falls. They take it.

I am 5'14" and these poles work great for me. I replaced the stock baskets with these 120 mm baskets. They sell the baskets at Aventure Nordique for about 15 bucks.
rondelle-poudreuse.jpg

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:04 pm

Asnes makes telescoping poles to 155cm. I don't have any but I watched a video about them and read Johnny's rave review (of the Combat NATO poles) and will be buying a pair of whatever they have available in the states next season. Seem like the best poles around from what I saw, re strap system and extended grip.

dave52

Post by dave52 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:50 pm

randoskier wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:06 pm

I second the Black Diamond Traverse pole at 155cm!
I replaced the stock baskets with these 120 mm baskets. They sell the baskets at Aventure Nordique for about 15 bucks.
Was the basket upgrade something you did because of equipment failure?

mca80 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:04 pm
Asnes makes telescoping poles to 155cm. I don't have any but I watched a video about them and read Johnny's rave review (of the Combat NATO poles) and will be buying a pair of whatever they have available in the states next season. Seem like the best poles around from what I saw, re strap system and extended grip.
Didn't even think to check if Asnes makes poles, thanks for pointing out. If their poles are like their skis, probably a wise choice.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 am

Over the years have had three adjustable poles...Destroyed all of them....have had some excel poles for ever......they don't break easily....takes a tremendous demolition to do it.....We also get them long and that helps on the up....Cactus tele on the way down...TM

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:55 pm

greatgt wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 am
.....We also get them long and that helps on the up....Cactus tele on the way down...TM
Sorry to be a great big dick but this is not good ski advice. Hands above your head is not good form and will be less stable than keeping your hands down and centered in front of your torso. Yes, even when skiing the trees. Proper weight distribution, including your arms, is key for balanced, controlled skiing. In the BC or groomers, long poles can be choked up on or simply held more or less parallel with the slope. Then you don't need to have your hands up so high.

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:17 pm

Another vote for the BD Traverse poles. I used the same uppers for 12 years and just replaced the lowers last season. The BD powder baskets work well too in place of the weird 3/4 ones that come with the poles.