Ski Marches or Mountaineers need adjustment

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
John Dee

Ski Marches or Mountaineers need adjustment

Post by John Dee » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:34 pm

With the Ski Marches, the red Voile Mountaineers will go down to two clicks on one boot, and three on the other if I try real hard. They're pretty loose at two clicks. What should I alter? Can I file the "notches" on the latch? These are super-epoxied to my favorite skis, so I need to be careful.

For reference, they go down only to two clicks on my Voile Traverses. But they are almost free of movement there, so I just use them like that.

I really want to use them tomorrow afternoon.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Ski Marches or Mountaineers need adjustment

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:46 am

I never had to go more than two clicks with my Ski March boots with any of the Voile 3 pin binding I have used with them. That would include two sets of 3-pin cable and a set of 3-pin Hardwire. I only use one click for general kick and glide on my Ski March. Obviously your situation must be different, but if you can’t get it to click down further I think it would be tight enough. I also couldn’t imagine pushing my Voile bindings down to the 3rd click on my Ski March boots.
I’m no light weight either, I sledge hammered the ice free, and pulled fifty manhole covers yesterday to resolve a quantities dispute with a municipality yesterday. I know a whole lot of guys my age couldn’t do one.

bark-eater

Post by bark-eater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:56 am

Have you measured the boot duck bills thickness? Or tried switching the boots left and right? Are the boots pin holes clear?

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:42 am

Personally, I wouldn't fret too much over that issue, just use the highest notch that allows the boots to be retained and allows control when turning and etc. Too much pressure might accelerate the eventual cracking of the midsoles, the curse of every Norwegian welted leather tele boot.
I have to use different settings with the Alicos with different bindings; most pair of my skis that have Rottefella STs require only one click to hold the boots securely, but one pair of skis with the ST/Cable requires 2 clicks to secure, when I don't use the cables.
Don't know why...unless the ST/Cable bail has a different spring temper, or has some minor difference in tolerances from the regular ST.
My one pair of skis with Voile pin/cables holds either pair of the SM boots with just a click, even without using the cables, and it requires a pretty hard push down on the bail to latch.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:57 pm

Interesting how they don't need to be that tight. Also interesting that being real tight might be bad for the boot.

The newer Voile Traverses just seem so right, 1 is loose, 2 is real good. It seems like it would really help with keeping the ball of my foot down, not being like nnn. But I haven't tried them much.

These Red Voiles are also a little harder to line them up in. All around a little wonkier.

@fisheater That sounds cumbersome to unbearable depending on how far apart they were and whats inside.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:35 pm

@John Dee Actually it was a beautiful sunny, calm 20 degree day. It was nice to be outside and getting a little exercise. It beat the heck out of crunching numbers in the office. As a bonus the city rep is a cute young 50 year old women that is pleasant to work with and easy on the eyes!