Damage to Scarpa TX Pro inserts with Meidjo 3 binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
WillG

Damage to Scarpa TX Pro inserts with Meidjo 3 binding

Post by WillG » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:49 pm

Skiing last week I had a ski release on relatively easy but hard-packed ground, resulting in a cracked rib. Looking at the boot and binding to try to work out what had happened, I can see that the right hand insert in my right boot is missing a chunk at the top edge. Has anyone else experienced anything similar and what was the fix? My fear now is that the boots are trashed.
image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Damage to Scarpa TX Pro inserts with Meidjo 3 binding

Post by Stephen » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:40 pm

I have the same setup.
Before the release, is it possible the binding pin was not in the metal insert, but may have been next to it, in the plastic?
I have taken many falls with this setup, with lowest release setting (6’3” / 175#) and not had the binding release.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:48 pm

Looking closely at that photo, you appear to have a significant divot behind the pin insert. Could you have stomped down really hard to step in, with the boot out of alignment? I have a pair of TX’s with about six years of stepping in to Meidjo, Dynafit Radical and Trab Vario toes. The plastic area around the pins is pretty chewed up but the binding still holds fine.

WillG

Post by WillG » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:11 am

Before packing the boots for return to the shop, I took a few photos of the insert under a microscope - see the cracks! To me, this insert has failed structurally.

All photos have the front of the boot off the bottom, the back of the boot off the top.
Scarpa insert cracks zoom rear cracks zoom 3.jpg
Scarpa insert cracks zoom rear cracks zoom 2.jpg
Scarpa insert cracks zoom rear cracks zoom 1.jpg
Scarpa insert cracks zoom rear cracks.jpg
Scarpa insert cracks zoom front crack.jpg
Scarpa insert cracks zoom 2.jpg
Scarpa insert cracks zoom 1.jpg
Scarpa insert cracks overview.jpg

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:18 pm

Those cracks are “interesting.”
Do you have any unmagnified pictures of the insert and surrounding area shot straight-on, rather than from the side?
Can’t really see that in any of the pictures, so far.

Not pushing back on there being a problem — jut observing that, even though the inserts seem to have cracks in them, they also seem to still be structurally functional — the cracks have not opened up and changed the shape of the insert.

Will be interested to hear further info on this.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:16 pm

I agree with Stephen, that looks odd. My understanding is that the toe pins are one complete piece, which extends across the toe of the boot embedded in the plastic. So theoretically, if the metal is good the pins should hold you in. It those are cracks maybe there was a fault in the manufacture?

WillG

Post by WillG » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:20 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My feeling is there was some abnormality in the manufacture that led to the insert being weakened. I wouldn't say I'm particularly aggressive and not that big either (186cm, 75kg) so I shouldn't have been stressing the inserts that much.

The boots are now back with the retailer, who has passed my photos on to Scarpa. I wouldn't be surprised if Scarpa want the boots back for inspection, so I'm not expecting a conclusion any time soon. Thankfully I'm not expecting to be skiing any time soon either!

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:13 am

Shit now I need a microscopic camera? :D

WillG

Post by WillG » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:39 am

I certainly wouldn't have been able to spot the cracks without a microscope! Of course it may just be the limitations of the camera on my old phone :D

After a bit of a wait Scarpa has now agreed that the photos show a problem with the inserts and agreed to replace the boots. The retailer I got them from can't say yet whether I'll get the replacement immediately or in August when Scarpa will have more stock.

WillG

Post by WillG » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:13 pm

Still waiting to receive the replacement boots! I did happen to visit a telemark shop in Europe over the summer and mentioned the cracked inserts, they said they’d had a pair brought back to them with the same issue. Looks like there may have been a problem with a few.