T2 Ecos as a boot quiver of one?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
spopepro

Re: T2 Ecos as a boot quiver of one?

Post by spopepro » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:28 pm

JB TELE wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:08 pm

For trips that involve longer ascents, the T2's are fine. They don't have the greatest range of motion in the cuff, but you can push off of your toes and get the bellows flexing on the uphill.

I have only used T2's with free pivoting voile switchback bindings. I wonder if using them with 3 pin clamp style bindings would allow you to flex the bellows and push off of your toes. Or are the new generation T2's too stiff to take advantage of the resistance in a 3 pin clamp binding?
I’ve used my T2ecos with both pins (objective BC) and switchback x2 (V6, flat). Yes, the extra resistance does make it feel a little more like an xc setup helping the flex, but then it’s flipped from what you said on the up: the very limited cuff ROM makes any typical skin track really challenging as you’re pushing up against the resistance all the time.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:46 am

spopepro wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:28 pm

I’ve used my T2ecos with both pins (objective BC) and switchback x2 (V6, flat). Yes, the extra resistance does make it feel a little more like an xc setup helping the flex, but then it’s flipped from what you said on the up: the very limited cuff ROM makes any typical skin track really challenging as you’re pushing up against the resistance all the time.
Funny story. A few years back, I had my Objectives mounted with a 3 pin, and my plan was to ski the Objectives with both T2 eco's and leathers depending on tour conditions. As it turned out, I rarely skied the T2 / Objective combo for the reasons you mentioned. On one outing I got caught on a long uphill slog in very deep bottomless early season powder on the T2 Eco/ Objective combo and I kept snagging the ski tip on buried brush and branches on the uphill climb. It would have been so much easier with my switchback X2's and the free pivot. As it turned out I was skiing with a group of AT skiers and I let them break trail and pack the snow so I could get through one difficult section of the route. How embarrassing, as I was leading them up a route they had never been on before. The T2 eco 3 pin Objective combo is a blast to ski downhill. Amazing predictable control, so much better on the downhill than my leather setup at the time, but I would almost always pick leathers over the T2's when I was skiing a non active pin binding.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:29 pm

Any notable differences between this model and the current t2 eco?
Screenshot_20231212_172714_Facebook.jpg

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:32 pm

Looks like my T2X (after T2 and before Eco).
Edit: And I recall thinking the t2 Eco looked just like my T2X.
(But that's just me looking not "examining" like others here probably did.)

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:51 am

The person selling them has a high price at 325 CAD and I already own T2 terminators so I'm trying to justify this price. They have intuition liners and all the other features look consistent with current model. Side by side looks like only color differences and aesthetician differences in the buckles. Just don't wanna pay a premium for a dated model, but also can't afford msrp on this boot new @ $950 CAD
20231213_085447.jpg

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:31 pm

I was researching going from the Meidjo to 22 Designs and came upon this from FHL.
Hopefully some good info on the subject:

I used to ski the T2 and liked it (I went from the Syner-G to the Eco years ago). Given Scarpa's lack of R&D, I don't imagine it's changed much.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:38 pm

Thanks. Much appreciated. I do have experience in the t2 and understand their use, I feel like their use parallels the dynafits I've used for use, but with not so much ROM. The tradeoff being scarpas are built to last. Anyways, I picked up the "Kermit" green T2s, I haven't tried on the latest T2's and imagine there's not much difference so I'm happy. The difference between the t2 eco and the terminators is very noticeable though. I was going to keep the terminators for backup but I think I'll pass them on and just rely on t4 and t2 to bracket and backup, and end the holding

https://www.telemark-voices.com/post/75mm-resurrected

It's so easy to get caught up stacking boots, but use em or lose em

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:21 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:31 pm
Given Scarpa's lack of R&D, I don't imagine it's changed much.
Mmmmm....I think the Pebax is now made from vegetarians instead of dead dinosaurs.
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:10 am

twopass wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:21 am
Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:31 pm
Given Scarpa's lack of R&D, I don't imagine it's changed much.
Mmmmm....I think the Pebax is now made from vegetarians instead of dead dinosaurs.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Pebax has always been made from vegetarians who only ate castor beans. It seems like the only "innovation" Scarpa has made in the last 10 years was to get rid of the Tx with the rear tech fitting,