Which angle for sharpening sides? old Fischer Outtabounds 98 + Boundless88

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Bohemian
Ski style: AT, telemark, BC, XC, snowboard (alpine)

Which angle for sharpening sides? old Fischer Outtabounds 98 + Boundless88

Post by Bohemian » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:56 am

Does anybody know which angle should be used for sharpening the sides of these skis?
-Fischer S-bound Outtabounds 98 (i.e. predecessor of S-bound 98, probably from early 2000s)
-Fischer Boundless 88 (i.e. predecessor of current Excursion 88, also probably 15-20 years old)
Straight edge 90 degrees? -1 ?
Same question for early 2000s E-109 whilst we're at it :)

Or : what angle do you generally use on BC skis?

Thanks!
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Which angle for sharpening sides? old Fischer Outtabounds 98 + Boundless88

Post by fgd135 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:26 am

Really depends on snow conditions, your boot choice and your ability level. 90° for most conditions is normal. 89°, (-1°)or even 88°(-2°) helps to set edges, with less skidding, in harder snow and/or with more aggressive skiing with stiffer boots.
Here's a decent article:
https://the-raceplace.com/pages/how-to- ... s%20better!
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Bohemian
Ski style: AT, telemark, BC, XC, snowboard (alpine)

Post by Bohemian » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:08 am

Thanks!
Looking at that website it looks like I can't do much wrong with 89 on the sides for all BC/XCD then?

-For the boundless 98 (s-bound98) as short as 169cm I think it should be -1° on the sides then (89°) : to be skied often with leathers, sometimes old 2-buckle plastic boots, 3-pin hardwire bindings, mixed conditions, icy spots & powder.

-Outtabound (excursion) 88 in 179cm : 3-pin bindings without cable, plenty camber ; they'll most likely be lent out to newcomers to BC/XCD, tours in mixed conditions on leather boots. 90° or 89° on the sides ?

-old E109 178cm : mostly to be skied with leather boots, for some tours plastic 2-buckle boots, 3-pin bindings without cable, sometimes icy spots downhill, perhaps to be lent out to introduce friends to XCD/BC: 90° enough on the sides or better also 89°?

Or simply for all XCD/BC use stick to 89° or 90° for the whole lot in order to avoid making the mistake of tuning up with the wrong angle? :roll: ..89° or 90°? That is the question.. :lol:
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:59 pm

I'd go 90/90 for all. Simplify,as you've observed, plus you aren't going to feel any difference skiing 90 than 89.

Ziggy
Ski style: Touring, telemarking

Post by Ziggy » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:04 am

You'll most likely find the factory angles all over the place and the first thing to do is to see what you've got. Not least because you may have to sacrifice some base.

Mark the base edge with a felt tipped pen in say 4 places for 50mm, set your file for 89 degrees and see what happens to the ink and the pattern.

Also check to see how much stiffness is left in the camber. The timber droops with age just like we do :)
Last edited by Ziggy on Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers from Down Under

bornaginalpiner
Ski style: Fall alot
Favorite Skis: Soft flex.
Favorite boots: The ones that fit.

Post by bornaginalpiner » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:38 pm

Bohemian wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:56 am
Does anybody know which angle should be used for sharpening the sides of these skis?
-Fischer S-bound Outtabounds 98 (i.e. predecessor of S-bound 98, probably from early 2000s)
-Fischer Boundless 88 (i.e. predecessor of current Excursion 88, also probably 15-20 years old)
Straight edge 90 degrees? -1 ?
Same question for early 2000s E-109 whilst we're at it :)

Or : what angle do you generally use on BC skis?

Thanks!
One thing that I do when I sharpen any ski is to make sure that I detune my tips and tails. Anything that will dull the edge down will work. I use a file. With Powerball excuse I just take it down to just below where the tip and the tail are distinguished by the shape. Tips up.