Ski choice for winter expedition with pulk and kite sail

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Alex82

Re: Ski choice for winter expedition with pulk and kite sail

Post by Alex82 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:27 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:36 am

NNN-BC or Xplore are the correct bindings for what you're planning (distance, pulk, varying conditions).

I don't know about kite-skiing at all, though.
I considered this kind of binding but I am a little worried about the safety release in case of going with a kite sail with them. I am really considering the safety release as a must have option. If really considering this kind of binding, then a cable binding like the Finngrip Era would be on my choice list, as I could use regular winter trekking boots. Is there any feedback on using a kit sail with these kinds of binding?

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:17 pm
Hello and WELCOME Alessandro!

Did you decide on a ski?

Ski touring in Greenland!!! On my list of todos!!!

Keep in touch and let us know how you make out!
Gareth (lilcliffy)
Thanks! No, I have not decided yet on a model. But my planned expedition is stilll some months away (around next March-May). Also, I see major online suppliers are now restocking long skis for each model, in the 190-210 cm range.

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:17 pm
If I was expecting hilly terrain and highly variable snow→ Nansen

If I was expecting gentle terrain ansd highly variable snow→ Amundsen

I would not describe the current Ingstad BC as "stable" on dense consolidated snow- it XC skis very short and dead on consolidated snow. The Ingstad BC is stable in deep snow.

If you are wanting more width underfoot than the Nansen/Amundsen- but more versatile than the Ingstad BC→ Combat NATO.

Gareth (lilcliffy)
Yes, that's the hard choice. But based on this, probably the Amundsen would be better, since I am planning to go on the frozen sea and flatter terrain when possible, and if the conditions are good (and safe) using the sail to gain on distance and save on fatigue. I am not after speed or summit records. Just to say, I am looking for a Land Rover and not a Ferrari.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Ski choice for winter expedition with pulk and kite sail

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:21 pm

Hey, Alex, so Christian Iversen Styve (polar explorer/ adventurer) took a kite to Greenland. Maybe see which gear he took?

And contact these people https://kitekurs.no

They've taken expeditions to Greenland too and they should be able to help you choose your gear.

Let us know what you find out!