Asolo Snowfield Fit?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JB TELE

Asolo Snowfield Fit?

Post by JB TELE » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:38 am

There are a pair of new in box Asolo Snowfield boots on ebay. They are listed as "U.S. 8.5", but US sizes can be inconsistent. I measure about 40.5 EU or 7.5 left foot/ 7.75 right foot on a brannock. Normally I go for size 8. I like to wear a thick wool sock. Sometimes I layer 2 thick wool socks if a boot fits slightly big. I have a wide forefoot, high instep, and narrow heel that slips a lot.

Do you think it's worth giving these a try? Do they fit big, small, or true to brannock size? Wide or narrow? Is having a leather tele boot that's slightly too long but fits well in the heel and midfoot an issue? The seller accepts returns but shipping can be pricey.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Asolo Snowfield Fit?

Post by fgd135 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:47 pm

In my experience, Asolo Snowfields, and in fact all the old Asolo leather tele boots, are true to size while wearing socks. With very thick socks or thicker insoles you might fit that 8.5 boot. The width of these boots is about a men's c/d, and Asolo boots have narrow, stiff, heel pockets.
Fwiw, Snowfields are very similar to the Alico ski march boots; the Alico definitely has a wider fit, overall.
NB: These are not my boots on Ebay.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:52 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:47 pm
In my experience, Asolo Snowfields, and in fact all the old Asolo leather tele boots, are true to size while wearing socks. With very thick socks or thicker insoles you might fit that 8.5 boot. The width of these boots is about a men's c/d, and Asolo boots have narrow, stiff, heel pockets.
Fwiw, Snowfields are very similar to the Alico ski march boots; the Alico definitely has a wider fit, overall.
NB: These are not my boots on Ebay.
Ok, they may not fit my wide forefoot then. Are there any models you can think of that are wider in the toes with a narrower heel? For reference I pretty much exclusively wear altras for my trail shoes.

fgd135

Post by fgd135 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:15 am

I have similar feet to yours, i.e., narrow heels and wide forefeet. The Alico Ski March boots work really well for me with Spenco Polysorb Heavy Duty Insoles, liner socks, and medium wt wool hiking socks. I can't think of another current model 75mm boot that has that much support to compare to either the Snowfield or the ASM, but there are probably other members here that can enlighten you on those options.
Fwiw, Asolo did manufacture the Snowfield II in two widths, "MM" for a medium width, the normal width, and "MW" for the rare wide fit. If they're returnable, I'd get them and check the fit before giving up on the boots.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:10 pm

Did you end up getting the Asolos?
Just wondering if they were in fact a 8.5US and not a 8.5UK...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:26 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:10 pm
Did you end up getting the Asolos?
Just wondering if they were in fact a 8.5US and not a 8.5UK...
I found some size "8" used asolo snowpines for super cheap with free shipping. Going to give them a try and maybe I can resell them on here if they aren't the right fit.
I looked at a bunch of asolo leather tele boots on ebay and none of them have EU sizing despite being made in Italy, not sure if it's us or uk sizing as its just a number with no other info. My assumption is they were sold to the US market and that's why there is no EU sizing. I would assume that any sold to the UK would also be in the European market and have EU sizing. We will see.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:57 pm

Well, the Asolos were the right length but too tight in the toes.

Has anyone tried old merrel leather telemark boots? How do those fit?

fgd135

Post by fgd135 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:36 pm

Too bad about the Asolos, but sounds like a typical Asolo fit.
The older Merrell boots are quite different in fit, in fact, almost slipper-like compared to the Asolos, with wide heels and wide toeboxes. This is a closer match to the fit of the Alico Ski-March.

Just like those old Asolos, any Merrell tele boots these days would be at least twenty five to thirty years old. Pay close attention to details. Leather and rubber deteriorate over time, even if sitting in a dark closet and controlled temps. In other words, look for leather dry rot and cracks, torn and rotten stitching, torn heel linings, torn tongue attachments, cracked midsoles and toes.
Trust me on this when I say it is much more cost effective to buy a newer leather tele boot than to buy an older pair of boots and then have to pay to have them repaired and/or resoled.
Last edited by fgd135 on Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:26 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:36 pm
Too bad about the Asolos, but sounds like a typical Asolo fit.
The older Merrell boots are quite different in fit, in fact, almost slipper-like compared to the Asolos, with wide heels and wide toeboxes. This is a closer match to the fit of the Alico Ski-March.

Just like those older Asolos, any Merrell tele boots these days would be at least twenty five to thirty years old, so pay close attention to details. Leather and rubber deteriorate over time, even if sitting in a dark closet and controlled temps. In other words, look for leather dry rot and cracks, torn and rotten stitching, torn heel linings, torn tongue attachments, cracked midsoles and toes.
Trust me on this when I say it is much more cost effective to buy a newer leather tele boot than to buy an older pair of boots and then have to pay to have them repaired and/or resoled.
Good point about older boots falling apart.

I just found some size 8 merrel boots, I think they are ultras? Very high top lace up. They fit much wider in the toes and I'm super stoked about that. But part of that is the toe reinforcement is only at the tip of the toe box, I wonder if that will mean bad turning performance.

Heel fit is kind of loose, but I'll see if I can add a heel lifter and heel gripper to fix that. I would rather have a slipping heel than crushed toes.

Either way, they fit so well that I'm willing to take them to my local guy for a resole if needed.