Åsnes ski recommendation

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Re: Åsnes ski recommendation

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:01 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:07 pm

...If I am Nordic touring in hilly/steep terrain- the Nansen will ALWAYS work- no matter the snow conditions.

If I am Nordic touring on gentle/rolling terrain- the Amundsen will ALWAYS work- no matter the snow condtions...
Can you elaborate on the word "work" in these two statements? I'm putting together a three-ski quiver for this winter. For simplicity and cost I'm using the Xplore binding with Alfa Free boots (and maybe an Alaska Alpina if I can swing it!)

Looking for:
- A wax ski that'll get me there but shine on moderate downhill. For that I've chosen the FT62. I was lucky to get a pair from REI but I think they are all gone now.

- A wax ski primarily for efficient skiing on a groomed track. Not chosen yet.

- A waxless ski that is in between. I'm looking mostly at the Asnes line because, frankly, there are SO many choices I'm trying to limit with something arbitrary. Asnes makes great skis across a broad range. I'm looking more and more at the Nansen and Amundsen for this in-between ski.

So- what do you mean by "works".

I've not seen the Nansen for sale anywhere. Either they've not come out for this year or they already appeared and are gone. I don't have a good feel for this product cycle.

Thoughts?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:33 pm

With it being September 27th, I think you are overly concerned with availability.
I’m not saying don’t be concerned, it’s just that you are still ahead of the curve.
Stuff should start showing up over the next few months.
The FTX you got from REI is most likely left over last year’s stock.

Some regions or vendors may get stock sooner than others, but I would bet that right now, they are most concerned with getting rid of summer stock, with winter stock on its way.

Have you said where you are skiing?
Based on what you want, the FTX sounds like a good choice.
If you’re sticking with Asnes, you could use the Mountain Race 48 for the track focus.
But it may be hard to find.
https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/mountain-race-48-2/

Other than the Mountain Race 48 or Mountain Tour 51 I don’t think Asnes offers a ski that will work well in a groomed track. The tips will be too wide.
Generally, tracks are 70mm. The Gamme tip is 68mm, so would fit going straight (although tend to rub and drag), but will hang up in the turns, and send you out of the track (they want to go straight).

For the in between ski, many here are not happy with the Asnes waxless skis — not enough traction.
Based on posts, the Nansen waxless seems to get the most positive reviews, but still somewhat lacking.

For the in between ski, it sort of depends on what you want from that ski. Maybe you just want an all around ski, that’s not going in a groomed track, and you’re not expecting great turning, but can do pretty much anything else, to some degree.
Just my two cents, but if you are set on a waxless ski, you might consider the Fischer Traverse 78 for the in between ski (they get generally favorable reviews). The Traverse 78 is just about the same width under foot as the FTX, but has a much narrower tip and tail.
Another option is to go with something like the wax version of the Nansen, and just leave a 30mm mohair skin on most of the time. Not ideal, but I have been impressed with the glide I get with a 35mm skin on a Gamme (which does have more wax pocket camber than a Nansen, so the glide with a skin on the Nansen may be less).

Hope I have helped more than confused!
Last edited by Stephen on Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:50 am

Stephen wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:33 pm

For the in between ski, many here are not happy with the Asnes waxless skis — not enough traction.
Based on posts, the Nansen waxless seems to get the most positive reviews, but still somewhat lacking.

For the in between ski, it sort of depends on what you want from that ski. Maybe you just want an all around ski, that’s not going in a groomed track, and you’re not expecting great turning, but can do pretty much anything else, to some degree.
Just my two cents, but if you are set on a waxless ski, you might consider the Fischer Traverse 78 for the in between ski (they get generally favorable reviews). The Traverse 78 is just about the same width under foot as the FTX, but has a much narrower tip and tail.
Another option is to go with something like the wax version of the Nansen, and just leave a 35mm mohair skin on most of the time. Not ideal, but I have been impressed with the glide I get with a 35mm skin on a Gamme (which does have more wax pocket camber than a Nansen, so the glide with a skin on the Nansen may be less).

@JohnSKepler Former Nansen Waxless owner here, and I will double up what @Stephen here says : in my opinion waxable Åsnes skis are far superior to waxless versions. Use grip wax when it is a little below freezing and stick on a 30mm Mohair skin when snow temperature is close to freezing. Skins stick fine on any properly buffed, hard grip wax (Swix Polar / green / blue extra).
If you want a waxless XC ski, Fischers are better options for grip: E99 Crown / Traverse 78 / Excursion 88 are viable alternatives.

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:00 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:33 pm

Roelant wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:50 am
@JohnSKepler Former Nansen Waxless owner here, and I will double up what @Stephen here says : in my opinion waxable Åsnes skis are far superior to waxless versions. Use grip wax when it is a little below freezing and stick on a 30mm Mohair skin when snow temperature is close to freezing. Skins stick fine on any properly buffed, hard grip wax (Swix Polar / green / blue extra).
If you want a waxless XC ski, Fischers are better options for grip: E99 Crown / Traverse 78 / Excursion 88 are viable alternatives.
Haha! I only started XC a few years ago and fell in love with it. Moving into XCD, XC-BC, and Tele is just a natural progression. But, I don't know squat about waxing yet! I'll be doing it myself, for sure, and all I've ever done is rub that Swix F4 All Purpose Glide Wax on my fish-scale Rossis. Was hoping to have at least one set of easy skis :D .

I just figured out all this binding/style technology, have been learning about ski geometry/construction/use and now I've got an entire additional segment of this technology to figure out. I feel like I'm a freshman in engineering again taking Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry at the same time! Alas, first world problems.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:12 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:01 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:07 pm

...If I am Nordic touring in hilly/steep terrain- the Nansen will ALWAYS work- no matter the snow conditions.

If I am Nordic touring on gentle/rolling terrain- the Amundsen will ALWAYS work- no matter the snow condtions...
Can you elaborate on the word "work" in these two statements? I'm putting together a three-ski quiver for this winter.
Both the Nansen an the Amundsen have old-school traditional geometry and flex in their respective categories.

While a ski like the Sverdrup or Ingstad will outperform the Nansen when the snow conditions are ideal- the Nansen will always perform- even when the snow conditons are not ideal. The Ingstad BC is my favourite Nordic BC touring ski- the Sverdrup is a close second- but if I had to have just one touring ski for hilly/steep it would have to be the Nansen.

Same can be said for the Amundsen in its category. There are conditions where I prefer the performance of the Gamme 54 or the E99- but if I had to have just one touring ski for gentle to moderate terrain it would have to be the Amundsen.

And my local touring is hilly-steep enough that if I had to go to just one touring ski it would be the Nansen.
For simplicity and cost I'm using the Xplore binding with Alfa Free boots (and maybe an Alaska Alpina if I can swing it!)
You going to use the Alfa Free boot on the groomed track?
Looking for:
- A wax ski primarily for efficient skiing on a groomed track. Not chosen yet.
Get a dedicated track ski.
- A waxless ski that is in between.
Fischer. Fischer TN66/T78/E88.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:29 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:12 pm
Same can be said for the Amundsen in its category. There are conditions where I prefer the performance of the Gamme 54 or the E99- but if I had to have just one touring ski for gentle to moderate terrain it would have to be the Amundsen.
Now I am really curious. Under which conditions would the Amundsen perform better than the Gamme or the Ousland?

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:42 am

lilcliffy wrote:
JohnSKepler wrote:

For simplicity and cost I'm using the Xplore binding with Alfa Free boots (and maybe an Alaska Alpina if I can swing it)
Yeah, I know that sounds weird. But...

For geographic reasons I do the majority of my XCBC skiing in canyons with dirt roads groomed for skate and classic. As these roads go in to mountains they are up the whole way. (These roads are closed to vehicular traffic when snow-covered.) This means you can take the road up and then find stashes of better snow off to the side coming back down. So, groomed up, ungroomed down. The local nordic club does a pretty good job of keeping the grooming up to date but the tracks and the road get blown out pretty quick by all the use. After this happens I use wider skis in the track. (When the track is fresh, I use different skis.) Otherwise, I just use the road. Either way, it makes the climb quicker and easier.

All this adds up to times when a stiff boot and BC skis in a track or on the road makes sense. Loosen up the top BOA and you get plenty of flex in the ankle for a classic motion. Tighten up the BOA for heading back down and it is stiff enough to provide some control for turning.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:42 am
lilcliffy wrote:
JohnSKepler wrote:

For simplicity and cost I'm using the Xplore binding with Alfa Free boots (and maybe an Alaska Alpina if I can swing it)

For geographic reasons I do the majority of my XCBC skiing in canyons with dirt roads groomed for skate and classic. As these roads go in to mountains they are up the whole way. (These roads are closed to vehicular traffic when snow-covered.) This means you can take the road up and then find stashes of better snow off to the side coming back down. So, groomed up, ungroomed down. The local nordic club does a pretty good job of keeping the grooming up to date but the tracks and the road get blown out pretty quick by all the use. After this happens I use wider skis in the track. (When the track is fresh, I use different skis with NNN bindings.) Otherwise, I just use the road. Either way, it makes the climb quicker and easier.

All this adds up to times when a stiff boot and BC skis in a track or on the road makes sense. Loosen up the top BOA and you get plenty of flex in the ankle for a classic motion. Tighten up the BOA for heading back down and it is stiff enough to provide some control for turning.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:45 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 am
JohnSKepler wrote:
lilcliffy wrote:

For geographic reasons I do the majority of my XCD skiing in canyons with dirt roads groomed for skate and classic. As these roads go in to mountains they are up the whole way. (These roads are closed to vehicular traffic when snow-covered.) This means you can take the road up and then find stashes of better snow off to the side coming back down. So, groomed up, ungroomed down. The local nordic club does a pretty good job of keeping the grooming up to date but the tracks and the road get blown out pretty quick by all the use. After this happens I use wider skis in the track. (When the track is fresh, I use different skis with NNN bindings.) Otherwise, I just use the road. Either way, it makes the climb quicker and easier.

Veni, Vidi, Viski

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:49 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:45 am
JohnSKepler wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 am
JohnSKepler wrote:

For geographic reasons I do the majority of my XCD skiing in canyons with dirt roads groomed for skate and classic. As these roads go in to mountains they are up the whole way. (These roads are closed to vehicular traffic when snow-covered.) This means you can take the road up and then find stashes of better snow off to the side coming back down. So, groomed up, ungroomed down. The local nordic club does a pretty good job of keeping the grooming up to date but the tracks and the road get blown out pretty quick by all the use. After this happens I use wider skis in the track. (When the track is fresh, I use different skis with NNN bindings.) Otherwise, I just use the road. Either way, it makes the climb quicker and easier.

It's a set of conditions and use cases that really stresses the limitations and blurs the boundary between types of gear. Technology and manufacturing is slowing providing equipment that will work across a wider variety of conditions and applications if one is willing to trade efficiency in one area for efficiency in another.
Veni, Vidi, Viski