I want to buy ONE ski system only. please advise ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DG99

Re: I want to buy ONE ski system only. please advise ?

Post by DG99 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 am

Oh my. Garmont Veloce from a long time ago I remember that was equivalent to a Scarpa T2. Basically a medium weight boot for all around, backcountry, uphill downhill. Mine ended up not fitting well, I think I had some bad pressure points.

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:18 am

DG99 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 am
Oh my. Garmont Veloce from a long time ago I remember that was equivalent to a Scarpa T2. Basically a medium weight boot for all around, backcountry, uphill downhill. Mine ended up not fitting well, I think I had some bad pressure points.
thanks

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:21 pm

AbnerLico wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:04 pm
fisheater wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:55 pm
Just so you know, I ski my FT X with an Alaska 75 boot. It is quite powerful with the Rotte ST binding with cable. I also have these boots
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224356416769?h ... SwCh1gLk8H

They are British size, so if you are a 10 US you are a 9 UK

The Alico boot is much stiffer than the Alaska 75. However the increased lateral stiffness offered by the Rotte ST binding with cable over the Voile cables, allows me to usually use the much softer Alaska 75. The Rottefella cable is a significant difference over the Voile with soft leather boots.

I do not use or recommend a T-4 for a FT X or s-98/112. If you are going to a boot like the T-4 go to a more powerful ski like a Voile Objective or Vector. There may be specific reasons to use a T-4, I think overnight trips where a double boot makes sense.

Another stiff leather boot that should be readily available is the Fisher Transnordic 75. There have been mixed reviews regarding fit and comfort. I would wear them indoors, flexing into imaginary turns. Some guys like the flex, others didn’t. I believe the 75 mm boot received more favorable reviews than the BC version. It is a strong, stiff, boot if it fits you and is comfortable. You do not need a T-4 for this class of skis. Although it is a good thing to own a T-4.
SO fisheater... I 'think' why I am getting from your response is that the system I am looking at would be acceptable with a leather boot or a transnordic type (excursion, etc)... I'd need skins as well
Hello @fisheater I haven't bugged you in a while ….since your last recommendation I have been able to get my hands on some nice XCD gear. Primarily a pair of Madshus Epochs with a very neat pair of leather Alico (your recommendation) and voile hardwire bindings. The Alico's are very heavy duty; they are lace up (no buckle) but come with an inner-boot. Heavy and stiff. They work well on the downhills but when I put on my plastic pair of Crispis it's another story. I just purchased a pristine pair of Scarpa T3's and the fit is perfect. I think the T3 are even lighter than the Alicos. I don't want to hang on to too much gear. Do you think the Alico's would now be redundant? I can't see them being better or more comfortable for kick and glide. Thanks

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:11 pm

It really sounds as if you have answered your own question. It seems that the T-3 is performing better for you. There is certainly no need to keep two pair of boots when they both are so similar. I’m glad things are working out for you.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:02 am

... as a side note, do not bother with those Veloce... They are kind of heavy and burly for this class of boot. The only good thing about them relates to their nice flex, a bit like the Garas...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:14 am

fisheater wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:11 pm
It really sounds as if you have answered your own question. It seems that the T-3 is performing better for you. There is certainly no need to keep two pair of boots when they both are so similar. I’m glad things are working out for you.
Fair answer… I haven’t tested the scarpas as I have the alicos… you are wayyyyy more experienced than I and if you replied, “hang on to those leathers… you’ll be glad in the long run” or they should be much better at kick and glad I may change my mind…

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:41 am

AbnerLico wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:14 am
fisheater wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:11 pm
Fair answer… I haven’t tested the scarpas as I have the alicos… you are wayyyyy more experienced than I and if you replied, “hang on to those leathers… you’ll be glad in the long run” or they should be much better at kick and glad I may change my mind…
It sounds as though you have an Alico Double. I would believe even if the sole was of comparable stiffness to my Alico Ski March boot, the Double would ski stiffer due to the liner and the higher cuff. That is neither good or bad, just a little different. I own both an Alico Ski March boot and a Scarpa T-4. I am happy to own both boots. The Alico Ski March is the heaviest boot I use on my Falketind X ski. I doubt I will ever use the T-4 with that ski. I also ski the Ski March boot with my Tindan 86 in ideal powder conditions. However I don’t usually ski the Tindan in ideal conditions. In anything but beautiful powder I ski the Tindan 86 in my T-4.
For my range of skiing I have three skis, Gamme, FT X, Tindan 86. I have four boots, Alaska BC, Alaska 75, Alico Ski March, and T-4. The boots and skis were acquired in an over than 10 year period, probably closer to 15 years. One pair of those skis I was fortunate to acquire from two members here, at very reasonable pricing. The Alaska 75 came to my door, new, for less than $100 USD in July one year. I have also sold two pair of skis over those years, because they weren’t quite what I wanted.
I wouldn’t want to be without any of this equipment! However, I don’t ski in your boots, or store my gear in your house. This is gear I use, and I can store. I am quite fortunate to have a nice collection of ski gear that works for me, and fits in my house!
I would ski the new Scarpa, and see what I like. Also, have you ever tried only lacing your Alico up to your ankle? On my Ski March boot, the shaft rises just above the ankle. That freedom of movement in my ankle really helps with kick and glide with such a stiff soled boot.

metamorphosis108
Ski style: BC-XC

Post by metamorphosis108 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:20 am

fisheater wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:55 pm
Just so you know, I ski my FT X with an Alaska 75 boot. It is quite powerful with the Rotte ST binding with cable. I also have these boots
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224356416769?h ... SwCh1gLk8H

They are British size, so if you are a 10 US you are a 9 UK

The Alico boot is much stiffer than the Alaska 75. However the increased lateral stiffness offered by the Rotte ST binding with cable over the Voile cables, allows me to usually use the much softer Alaska 75. The Rottefella cable is a significant difference over the Voile with soft leather boots.

I do not use or recommend a T-4 for a FT X or s-98/112. If you are going to a boot like the T-4 go to a more powerful ski like a Voile Objective or Vector. There may be specific reasons to use a T-4, I think overnight trips where a double boot makes sense.

Another stiff leather boot that should be readily available is the Fisher Transnordic 75. There have been mixed reviews regarding fit and comfort. I would wear them indoors, flexing into imaginary turns. Some guys like the flex, others didn’t. I believe the 75 mm boot received more favorable reviews than the BC version. It is a strong, stiff, boot if it fits you and is comfortable. You do not need a T-4 for this class of skis. Although it is a good thing to own a T-4.
Is it a fair inference to draw from the above suggestion that a well made leather boots like Crispi Bre paired with ST/cable would power/control a ski like Madshus M78?

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:32 am

That's what I inferred, although m78 would be absolute widest I want to go, and have plastic for certain conditions.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:11 am

@fisheater has much more experience than me and has actually skied both of these bindings whereas I have only had limited experience with the Voile 3 pin cable, but there are some advantages to the Voile.
It is lighter.
It is cheaper.
If you are doing laps you can have the cables on your boot with the lever open and loose then at the top of the hill it takes a second to clamp it down. If you want to ski up with the Rotte ST cables on but not tight then you need a riser to clip it to which adds even more weight and expense.
The Voile won't work well with 3 pin boots with thin duckbills like the Alaska and cheap boots like Whitewoods but all other boots and plastic boots in particular it accommodates very well.
My intent isn't to argue just to point out that the Voile is a good product and I've been really happy with it. My Ski March, Svartisen and vintage Heierlings all have thick durable duckbills, easily clip firmly into place on the second notch and show no sign of wear. I do believe the RST Cable is more powerful than the Voile 3PC and more directly compares with the Voile Hardwire, but I could be mistaken here. When I step up to a more robust ski like the Voile Ultra Vector I won't be mounting the Voile 3PC but would consider the Rotte ST Cable, Voile Hardwire or Switchback.