I want to buy ONE ski system only. please advise ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: I want to buy ONE ski system only. please advise ?

Post by fisheater » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:51 pm

I will answer the last question first. I personally would not buy a three pin binding without a cable option. For a soft boot such as the Alaska, a laterally stiff cable such as the cable that comes on the Super Telemark makes an incredible difference.
Here is a link to the Super Telemark with cable:
https://en.aventurenordique.com/rottefe ... cable.html
If you were planning on using the binding primarily with a plastic boot I think the Voile bindings are an excellent match. Higher spring tension helps compress the bellows on a boot like the T-4, especially when the boot is new. You need to compress that bellows to keep the ball of your foot on the ski, on the trailing ski in a turn.
In rating boots stiffest to softest they would go T-4, Excursion, Transnordic, Alaska.
I’m sorry, what kind of terrain are you hoping to ski? If the variety is broad, what type of terrain would you ski the most? It is easier to choose equipment for specific needs. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a Swiss Army knife, but you want the knife that is going to be best at what you want to do the most

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:36 pm

I re-read your original post. I already was an accomplished Alpine skier, and a pretty decent downhill Telemark skier, when I went into for lack of better term XCD. My first outfit was T-4’s, S-112’s mount with Voile Hardwires. I still have the T-4’s and the Hardwires. I’m in Oakland County, Michigan, we have some glacially deposited terrain. Most of my local skiing is trail skiing, and when I started that combination was acceptable. However, then I discovered this forum, I bought a surplus pair of Asnes USGI skis. They were my first waxable ski. They were so much faster on the trails. I was still using the S-112 at the ski hill when skiing with my son. Somewhere I bought a surplus Alico Ski March boot. That boot is in the same weight class as the T-4, but not as stiff. However I liked the flex better, and I still use that boot quite a bit. I added different skis, and the Alaska boot.
If you are an accomplished Telemark skier by all means go Alaska and Super Telemark binding. I say that because an accomplished Telemark skier can handle an S-98, with an Alaska. When you want another ski to go faster on the flatter terrain, the Alaska 75 will pair just fine with the faster ski.
If you’re still learning the Telemark turn, the T-4 will make skiing so much easier. You will have a more powerful boot that will help you overcome bad technique. They still kick and glide, it isn’t like a soft leather boot like the Alaska. However if you don’t have the technique going downhill, that T-4 will get you down. If you buy the T-4, and you enjoy this, you will be buying a soft leather boot to go with that skinnier, go fast skis in a couple years. Be happy, unlike a wife, you can have more than one set of skis.
Lastly, if you go T-4, I recommend you look into the Voile Vector, v-6, or Objective.
I really hope this helped rather than confused

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:52 am

fisheater wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:36 pm
I re-read your original post. I already was an accomplished Alpine skier, and a pretty decent downhill Telemark skier, when I went into for lack of better term XCD. My first outfit was T-4’s, S-112’s mount with Voile Hardwires. I still have the T-4’s and the Hardwires. I’m in Oakland County, Michigan, we have some glacially deposited terrain. Most of my local skiing is trail skiing, and when I started that combination was acceptable. However, then I discovered this forum, I bought a surplus pair of Asnes USGI skis. They were my first waxable ski. They were so much faster on the trails. I was still using the S-112 at the ski hill when skiing with my son. Somewhere I bought a surplus Alico Ski March boot. That boot is in the same weight class as the T-4, but not as stiff. However I liked the flex better, and I still use that boot quite a bit. I added different skis, and the Alaska boot.
If you are an accomplished Telemark skier by all means go Alaska and Super Telemark binding. I say that because an accomplished Telemark skier can handle an S-98, with an Alaska. When you want another ski to go faster on the flatter terrain, the Alaska 75 will pair just fine with the faster ski.
If you’re still learning the Telemark turn, the T-4 will make skiing so much easier. You will have a more powerful boot that will help you overcome bad technique. They still kick and glide, it isn’t like a soft leather boot like the Alaska. However if you don’t have the technique going downhill, that T-4 will get you down. If you buy the T-4, and you enjoy this, you will be buying a soft leather boot to go with that skinnier, go fast skis in a couple years. Be happy, unlike a wife, you can have more than one set of skis.
Lastly, if you go T-4, I recommend you look into the Voile Vector, v-6, or Objective.
Hey thanks for you post... excellent advice and very interesting. I am going to have to find out if we have glacially deposited terrain over here in Ontario...first I will have to find out what that means. Right now I am trying to carve turns with Rossy BC70's, nnnbc bindings, and Ross BC10 boots. It's hard mostly b/c they're not built for tele turning and I am not very good and it does work but only under favourable conditions. I think I will look more toward the T3/T4 as I may have to resort to resort skiing from time to time. Thanks again!

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:57 am

fisheater wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:51 pm
I will answer the last question first. I personally would not buy a three pin binding without a cable option. For a soft boot such as the Alaska, a laterally stiff cable such as the cable that comes on the Super Telemark makes an incredible difference.
Here is a link to the Super Telemark with cable:
https://en.aventurenordique.com/rottefe ... cable.html
If you were planning on using the binding primarily with a plastic boot I think the Voile bindings are an excellent match. Higher spring tension helps compress the bellows on a boot like the T-4, especially when the boot is new. You need to compress that bellows to keep the ball of your foot on the ski, on the trailing ski in a turn.
In rating boots stiffest to softest they would go T-4, Excursion, Transnordic, Alaska.
I’m sorry, what kind of terrain are you hoping to ski? If the variety is broad, what type of terrain would you ski the most? It is easier to choose equipment for specific needs. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a Swiss Army knife, but you want the knife that is going to be best at what you want to do the most
I think I have learned ore about free heel skiing from your responses than all other resources. Thanks. I think I will go the stiffer boot route since I already have a good set up for the terrain in southern Ontario. I may hit a resort here and there to practice turns and hopefully get out to the Appalachians/Adirondacks (east) a couple times/year.

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:35 am

After months of searching I just picked up a pair T4's from ASM Sports in Quebec. Stoked to ski them on some low mileage 72-80mm waisted skis I have stashed from the past.
Also have some Vector BC's and V6's. Be interesting to see if the T4's work out with the Vectors but no way I see myself being able to ski the V6's w/them. :lol:
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:28 pm

You shouldn't have any problem with either the Vector or V6 in soft snow and your old 70-80 mm skis should work on packed snow

I have no problems skiing bigger skis, 185cm x112mm, with T4s is powder. And it doesn't have to be deep, a couple inches is enough.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:02 pm

twopass wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:35 am

After months of searching I just picked up a pair T4's from ASM Sports in Quebec. Stoked to ski them on some low mileage 72-80mm waisted skis I have stashed from the past.
Also have some Vector BC's and V6's. Be interesting to see if the T4's work out with the Vectors but no way I see myself being able to ski the V6's w/them. :lol:
FWIW: Excursions are softer than the t4s and on soft snow and at reasonable speeds, they work fine for several skiers that I ski with who are on v6s and vectors and bc snow.

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:37 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:09 am
Yes- this resonates with my experience as well.

I have ordered Asnes skis from both Varuste in Finland and Sport Albert in Germany.

The prices at Varuste are unbeatable. The price on skis is unbeatable- the price on bindings is almost unbelievable.

The prices at Sport Albert are actually pretty competitive- prices posted on the site include VAT- the price excluing VAT will show up once you get to check out. Pricing is much less on skis than Canadian MSRP- bindings even less- with package deals.

I have also bought from both the Norseman and LaCordee and have been happy with the purchase- depsite the high price. I prefer to buy from CAN- and would most prefer to buy locally in Fredericton if I could get them.
Do you know where I can find used around southern Ontario gear besides Facebook and Kijiji?

AbnerLico

Post by AbnerLico » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:27 pm

AbnerLico wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:52 am
fisheater wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:36 pm
Hey thanks for you post... excellent advice and very interesting. I am going to have to find out if we have glacially deposited terrain over here in Ontario...first I will have to find out what that means. Right now I am trying to carve turns with Rossy BC70's, nnnbc bindings, and Ross BC10 boots. It's hard mostly b/c they're not built for tele turning and I am not very good and it does work but only under favourable conditions. I think I will look more toward the T3/T4 as I may have to resort to resort skiing from time to time. Thanks again!
I have everything I need now to make a choice. I just one last question around size of ski. I am 180lbs (5'11"). My current skis are 180 and I would go shorter if it made the turns easier. thanks

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:19 pm

@AbnerLico, is this what you are thinking?
"and go Fischer 98's and the Alpina Alaska 75 mm"

Are you thinking new (more choices) or used (fewer choices)?

If the above skis and boots, and new, then the length choice would be 169, 179, or 189.
You say your weight is 180. Weight should include everything, ready to ski, including any pack.
That might put you at the top of the 179cm length.
169cm would be really short. They would still slide and turn easier, but...
Many people in that weight range might pick the 189cm (believing that the length recommendations run short).
179cm seems like a pretty reasonable choice.

Fischer S-Bound 98 Recommended Skier Weight (From REI)
159 CM: 120 and under pounds
169 CM: 110-154 pounds
179 CM: 145-189 pounds
189 CM: 185 and over pounds

EDIT:
However, I have not skied this ski, so others may have different advice?