Varuste Order Invoice/International Wire Transfer Help

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Varuste Order Invoice/International Wire Transfer Help

Post by JohnSKepler » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:33 pm

Stephen wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:48 pm
I'm seeing these on Varuste at an even lower price.
Pretty killer deal, if your interested.
Looks like the deal is good for about nine more hours...
Capture.JPG
I've tried multiple times to act on their "campaign" but the credit card keeps failing. I imagine something is getting lost in translation with their web form. At any rate, I finally did the "invoice/wire transfer" option but don't know what to do with the invoice, and I've had the fear of god put into me with wire transfers. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking these will improve my XCD/Telemark performance (obligatory telemark skiing comment to avoid getting deleted!) :D
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Varuste Order Invoice/International Wire Transfer Help

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:51 pm

Fraud Protection.
I have had the exact same problem.
I think you need to contact your CC issuer and authorize the international charge on your card.
Even if it looks like your card was charged twice, the CC issuer should resolve that on the back end, so there ends up being just one charge to your card.
Should work -- good luck!

comradeporcupine

Post by comradeporcupine » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:57 pm

I had problems even with Telemark Pyrenees earlier this month. I had to call my bank (CIBC) and get them to whitelist TP.

In the past I used to get a text message from my bank when rejected. This time that didn't even happen, and I had to manually call my bank.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:01 am

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:59 pm
I've written about this somewhere. Calling them isn't going to do anything. You need to call the card company and tell them what you're trying to do. Varuste wants verification from the actual card company, not the corporate holder of the account. So my verification code didn't do a thing. I had to call BoA who then called VISA with my plan and then, with BoA on the phone I made the purchase and it went through. Varuste getting BoA verification was worthless, the site needed VISA verification.

You couldn't know this, it's a back channel behind the scenes thing going on and while my VISA card is held through BoA the BoA green lights are worthless to Varuste who wants VISA to say it's ok, which is why making a phone call and explaining what you're trying to do is the way to go about this. Calling Varuste probably won't fix it.

America is perpetually about ten years behind with credit card technology with the rest of the world and I suspect this is part of the issue. (Even though the companies are all the same)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:28 pm

PayPal is my solution to this issue.
Yes- there is a small fee- but well worth it to be free of the hassle.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:41 am

related question: for those who have ordered skiis from varuste.net - what have the shipping charges typically been?

The general info on the website says $22-$24 (USD),
but after I've placed skiis in my cart, that number jumped to $178.00. :-/

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:56 pm

corlay wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:41 am
related question: for those who have ordered skiis from varuste.net - what have the shipping charges typically been?

The general info on the website says $22-$24 (USD),
but after I've placed skiis in my cart, that number jumped to $178.00. :-/
I got my credit card company on the line and pushed the transaction through that way. Shipping for my order, that did not include any skis, was around $27 for DHL. FedEx was few bucks less, like $24.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

freedom glider
Ski style: cross country, backcountry
Favorite Skis: karhu catamount; asnes lillehammer MT-1; atomic outback tr; fischer e99 crown; asnes usgi/mt-65
Favorite boots: nnn-bc

Post by freedom glider » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:50 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:28 pm
PayPal is my solution to this issue.
Yes- there is a small fee- but well worth it to be free of the hassle.
wow, so Varuste takes PayPal now?!? i could not find a PayPal path there when i was trying last season. PayPal would be way better than calling the card issuer, to call the credit card co as suggested in this thread.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:08 pm

Not trying to pimp Varuste, but in case the info is helpful…

1. PayPal is only a payment option on Varuste if you see that option at checkout. If you don’t see PayPal as an option, for whatever reason, its is not possible.

2. Recently ordered some 210 MR 48s from Varuste. Normal price is 281€. On sale for 225€. At checkout, shipping was 70.30€. Hours later, after the sale ended, I happened to check ordering the same item again (at the 281€ price — not to buy, just curious about the high shipping charge), and at that time, the shipping was going to be 55.30€. I wondered why the shipping was 15€ less than what I had paid earlier. I was thinking the worst, and that Varuste jacked up the shipping cost when things are on sale, but that was not the case. When I asked, I was told that: “A discount is applied to FedEx deliveries to the US when the ordered products exceeds the threshold value of 250,00€. As the price of the discounted skis has not exceeded the required threshold value, the delivery fee of the order has been calculated as follows …”

I guess the moral is, if you have an order that is near 250€, it might be worth adding items to your order to get above the discounted shipping threshold of 250€ (that’s what I would have done — spend 25€ more, but with a net cost increase of just 10€).

3. I have had one CC fail payment with multiple attempts, with no help available, but then used another card, had it fail once, get an automated fraud protection text from my bank asking if the charge was valid (respond Y for Yes / N for No), me respond Y for Yes, and retry successfully.
Use a card with no Foreign Transaction Fees, if you have one.

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:18 pm

In addition to what @Stephen said, I also had a DLH duty fee that I had to pay with my Varuste order. It wasn't very much and came later, directly from DHL. Can't even remember now. $20-something. The duty bill said it was for the poles I ordered. (No skis in that order.)

I've recently ordered from Sport Albert in Germany (they had a great selection of Gamme 54) and used Paypal. Worked great. But, shipping was >$100. I guess that's for the oversize box. It also came FedEx, not DHL, Took less than a week to get here and there was no duty bill to pay. Who knows???
Veni, Vidi, Viski