Asnes Skin Rec

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
AdamA
Ski style: xcD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falketind 62 Xplore
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX Transnordics
Occupation: Making terrible turns throughout the New England backcountry.

Asnes Skin Rec

Post by AdamA » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:22 pm

Hey Friends,

Picked up a pair of Asnes FT62 Explores this off season. Looking to get a set of Asnes skins for maximizing K+G on the flats (I have a pair of full length nylons for climbing). Anyone have any recs on width? Theyve got 30, 45, and 58.

Adam

エイダン.シダル

Re: Asnes Skin Rec

Post by エイダン.シダル » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:41 pm

For one skin, I'd go wide on Mohair, but I think it depends on your use.

If two, maybe a narrow Mohair for when you're going up and down moderate pitches, and a wide nylon for sustained climbs, and you might not need full length skins.

I've only got Mohair for my Gammes, but somebody will chime in for how they behave in different conditions.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:28 pm

AdamA wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:22 pm
Hey Friends,

Picked up a pair of Asnes FT62 Explores this off season. Looking to get a set of Asnes skins for maximizing K+G on the flats (I have a pair of full length nylons for climbing). Anyone have any recs on width? Theyve got 30, 45, and 58.

Adam
From the Varuste website:

At 58mm this skin is well-suited for the wide BC models – perfect for Ingstad, Tonje, Breidablikk, Konsgvold, Falketind 62 and Rabb 68.

Cheers-
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:56 pm

I understand the inclination to ask for advice, but, in the end, only you will know the right answer, after trying one or more of the skins.

First off, mohair is probably your best skin material (unless you are using them primarily in conditions that are unfavorable to mohair, such icy or wet conditions -- doesn't seem Quincy, MA is that).
The next question is whether you want to prioritize grip / traction, or glide / distance efficiency.
Any one of those widths will work, with the narrower ones giving better glide, but reduced grip, and the wider ones better grip and reduced glide.

So, it comes down to what terrain and conditions you are skiing, and what you want for the balance between grip and glide.

I don't mean to give you an ambiguous non-answer, but it really is that simple.
The 45mm might be a good compromise, but it all comes down to what you want.

I have a few widths and use the narrower ones for flatter terrain in challenging waxing conditions, and the wider ones for better grip / climbing traction.

Hope that helps...

PS
Also, you will likely find that the full length nylon skins will have NO glide and you will be able to climb a tree with them, so it might not be too much of a gamble to try the 45mm first, since you have a fallback that will work for climbing traction???

Also, many people trim the length (to, for example, close to where the back of the boot heel is) to get better glide without reducing traction much.

AdamA
Ski style: xcD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falketind 62 Xplore
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX Transnordics
Occupation: Making terrible turns throughout the New England backcountry.

Post by AdamA » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:37 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:56 pm
I understand the inclination to ask for advice, but, in the end, only you will know the right answer, after trying one or more of the skins.

First off, mohair is probably your best skin material (unless you are using them primarily in conditions that are unfavorable to mohair, such icy or wet conditions -- doesn't seem Quincy, MA is that).
The next question is whether you want to prioritize grip / traction, or glide / distance efficiency.
Any one of those widths will work, with the narrower ones giving better glide, but reduced grip, and the wider ones better grip and reduced glide.

So, it comes down to what terrain and conditions you are skiing, and what you want for the balance between grip and glide.

I don't mean to give you an ambiguous non-answer, but it really is that simple.
The 45mm might be a good compromise, but it all comes down to what you want.

I have a few widths and use the narrower ones for flatter terrain in challenging waxing conditions, and the wider ones for better grip / climbing traction.

Hope that helps...

PS
Also, you will likely find that the full length nylon skins will have NO glide and you will be able to climb a tree with them, so it might not be too much of a gamble to try the 45mm first, since you have a fallback that will work for climbing traction???

Also, many people trim the length (to, for example, close to where the back of the boot heel is) to get better glide without reducing traction much.
This is an excellent answer. Definitely a lot to think about. Not sure what I will end up going with, though having a 30mm mohair with my full length nylons seems like a decent 1, 2 punch.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:57 pm

Thanks.

Unless you plan to make very modest traction demands on the skins, you might consider the 45mm, instead.
If you do the full length nylon and the 30mm X-Skins, you might end up with extremes, rather than something you're generally happy with.

Or, like some would say, "Just get both!"
:lol:

Just a thought...

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:36 pm

@fisheater
Ask Bob about the camber profile of the current FT62X-

I have the 1st and 2nd gen of the FT62 and almost never skins on it, but if I did I would use the 35mm mohair for K&G as their is so little tension and camber underfoot.

Unless the FT62X is significantly more cambered than the previous gen- a 45mm- and even worse the 58mm- is going to seriously drag...My understanding is the FT62X is longitudinally stiffer than the previous-gen model- as opposed to more cambered...

By comparison (not an apples-to-apples) I regularly use the 45mm mohair on my Gamme/Amundsen, but both of these skis release underfoot when I stride forwards...

If I wanted to use a kicker skin with the FT62X- for K&G XC skiing- I would want to get away with as little drag as possible and would probable start with the 35mm mohair.

What about grip/kick wax/klister?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:08 pm

I am really the wrong guy to speak to skins, as my experience is limited to 100 yards and straight back to wax.
The new FT Xplore, while significantly longitudinally stiffer than the original version is still quite low cambered. I would think a skin would drag. Frankly, I was pleasantly quite surprised with the kick and glide performance of the ski utilizing kick wax. It does not kick like my Gamme, but it sure can turn as well as kick.
Asnes really threaded a needle on their third version of this ski!