Skijorers sound off! Asnes Finnmark 54 or Mountain Race?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Severianin

Skijorers sound off! Asnes Finnmark 54 or Mountain Race?

Post by Severianin » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:49 pm

Hello!

I'm currently training my malamute in anticipation of a long season of skijoring in interior Alaska. I am considering the Asnes Finnmark 54 or the Mountain Race skis, which have the 3/4 metal edge.

Does anyone have experience with either ski? I currently ski the green Asnes Gamme 54 and love them. I was leaning toward the Finnmark because it is reported to be an almost identical ski. However, being connected to a young malamute without at least some metal edge gives me pause though I think I could make it work without the edges.

Word on the street that my local ski shop in Fairbanks will be getting some Asnes skis in this year, but I will believe when I see it.

Cheers,
Tyler

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Skijorers sound off! Asnes Finnmark 54 or Mountain Race?

Post by fisheater » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:57 pm

What about detuning the entire edge with a gummy stone? It’s still a steel edge, it’s harder than ice. However it would not be wicked sharp, as Asnes skis come out of the box.
I had a pair of skis that were manufactured with really thin edges, so thin I never dared to touch them with a file. They seemed to get really detuned, dull, dull, dull! I’ll tell you what, they still held an edge much better than a ski with out an edge!
I lost my gummy stone, I just use a Scotch-Brite pad for detuning now. It works just fine.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:24 am

Although I have never even seen a Nansen in real life, why wouldn’t you be looking at a more turn oriented ski for skijorring?
The minute my skis hit a certain speed, I want to drop a knee!
Good luck, I look forward to your reports.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:34 pm

Hey Tyler!
Great to hear from you!

Crister (x Asnes pro) claimed that the redesigned Gamme 54 was made because of how much they loved the flex and balance swing weight of the Finnmark.

Never even seen a MR48- don't know how the flex and camber compares to the Finnmark/Gamme 54.

I would want the Finnmark for skijoring over the MR- unless for some reason you think you need steel edges on this ski?

Theoretically the MR48 should work better in a classic groomed track than the Finnmark-
but I bet the Finnmark is better than a Gamme in a groomed track- I bet the steel-free tip of the Finnmark is better on the classic track than the very stiff tip of the Gamme...

I ski regularly with my herding dogs and do not worry about steel edges- but I am not tied to them.

I would want a steel-free edge if I was skijoring.
Finnmark for me.
Or Breidablikk-
Or Kongsvold
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:49 am

Severianin wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:49 pm
Hello!

I'm currently training my malamute in anticipation of a long season of skijoring in interior Alaska. I am considering the Asnes Finnmark 54 or the Mountain Race skis, which have the 3/4 metal edge.

Does anyone have experience with either ski? I currently ski the green Asnes Gamme 54 and love them. I was leaning toward the Finnmark because it is reported to be an almost identical ski. However, being connected to a young malamute without at least some metal edge gives me pause though I think I could make it work without the edges.

Word on the street that my local ski shop in Fairbanks will be getting some Asnes skis in this year, but I will believe when I see it.

Cheers,
Tyler
Hi Tyler!

We frequently see people up here go out with harnessed dogs on prepared tracks with edgeless track skis. We have a friend with the Åsnes Kongsvold skis, which are also edgeless. He uses them on prepared tracks (edit: down the middle, and I'm sure in the wilds too). Er... hopefully this is helpful even if tangentially!

Edit: I really like fisheater's idea of detuning the edges... it strikes me you could get some very versatile skis that way which you could use without your dogs, too.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:58 pm

Although I have limited skijoring experience, I did dabble in it 20 years ago. I woouldn't even consider using medal edged skis for skijoring. You Will overtake your dog on a downhill at times. Much better to hit the dirt(snow), to brake if necessary than to take a chance on slicing your pal's tendons. Just my 2cents worth.

Severianin

Post by Severianin » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:47 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice! I really appreciate it. I'm not sure I want to detune my Gamme 54s, but I get what your setting down. I'm leaning toward a set of the Finnmarks. I thought about the MR48s a potentially a fun snappy ski and that maybe I could get by with the 3/4 metal edge. I've spoken with others in town here who say don't skijor with any edge ever - even strong malamutes such as mine.

I really appreciate all of the knowledge on this board! Thanks!

Tyler

trite

Post by trite » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:14 pm

Just curious if anyone has tips on detuning for dogs? I'll be travelling to a place where I will only have access to Åsnes skis with metal edges and I'll be skijoring with my dog. I won't be able to bring skis without metal edges. It'll be mostly flat lakes. If I filed the edges down so they're super dull, is there any disadvantage to that over true edgeless skis? Is dull steel still a problem?

trite

Post by trite » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:13 pm

Rounding off the steel edges for dogs sounds somewhat common based on this thread: https://www.kammeret.no/topic/53666-run ... ellskiene/