Relative beginner in New England, advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Slidey_Hiker
Ski style: Uncoordinated

Re: Relative beginner in New England, advice

Post by Slidey_Hiker » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:40 pm

Fly4aphish wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:23 pm
Are there any NH ski shops that have a good selection of used equipment I should check?
Three places I know of for consignment deals are:
Jackson XC (Mostly skinny skis but you get some wider ones, especially early season)

International Mountain Equipment in North Conway has a ton of consignment stuff, mostly softgoods but some skis and boots, crampons, ice tools etc. They has some tele setups last weekend.

Ragged Mountain Equipment in Intervale. They had some tele setups as of last weekend. They also make some pretty nice outdoor clothes and gear in the store and have a great fabric/ fastener section if you're into DIY. Most importantly they stock the Åsnes skis that are so popular on the forum here.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Re: Relative beginner in New England, advice

Post by 12gaugesage » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:54 pm

Are there any NH ski shops that have a good selection of used equipment I should check
What he (slidey hiker) said^^^^^
I finally got some snow down here and had a blast lapping the hill in my backyard. I think I'm hooked on XCD. My little hill is pretty thrilling on fairly whimpy nnn boots. I love being able turn around and easily climb back up the hill. Just so much more freedom than alpine skiing.
Yeah, it's a great thing to be able to go and ski wherever you can or want. Light kit makes low angles interesting, and the worst ski day is still more fun than snowshoeing and infinitely better than riding a couch.
I'm already thinking about getting a second pair of wider skis. Thinking about a pair of S bound 98s or Madshus M68s with 3 pin bindings.
I do have a pair of S98s in 189 with Rotte ST's I'd part with if you're interested BTW.

I'm a big fan of the bigger XCD gear, it's just more capable for descending and better in challenging terrain or conditions.
Other options are the Voile Objective and Vector or the Altai KOM.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie