Relative beginner in New England, advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Jasonsansfleece

Relative beginner in New England, advice

Post by Jasonsansfleece » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:46 pm

Good day, I’ve been cross country skiing on and off (mostly off] for 27 years on badly fitting and inappropriate equipment. Decided to change that. Depending on which fits best I’m going to get Skarvet or Alpina boots. As for skis I realize there is not one ski for all occasions so if I were to start with two what would they be?
Given that
A, I live in coastal Maine where the snow is usually heavy and even if I drive two hours inland snow is often no better.

B, I’m not really sure what B is but I think it has something to do with lack of public access and wide open spaces with snow on them and being forced onto trails in the woods. Perhaps someone with Maine experience would chime in?

I can make turns on alpine skis and I would love the ability to do that on XC skis.

I’m sure I need a narrow ski for any time I’m on groomed trails but what about something wider and that can turn down hill? I’m sure there are places in Maine where I could enjoy such a thing, even the field behind my house is wide open and on a slope.

I keep getting drawn to the Fischer skis, metal edges, would the 98 mm skis be too wide?
68 mm for the trails or 62 mm. What do you think?

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: Relative beginner in New England, advice

Post by riel » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 pm

Jasonsansfleece wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:46 pm
I’m sure I need a narrow ski for any time I’m on groomed trails but what about something wider and that can turn down hill? I’m sure there are places in Maine where I could enjoy such a thing, even the field behind my house is wide open and on a slope.

I keep getting drawn to the Fischer skis, metal edges, would the 98 mm skis be too wide?
68 mm for the trails or 62 mm. What do you think?
Stay away from the Outback 68, it is too soft to give good glide. The S-Bound skis also have a lot of scale drag due to their soft flex, which isn't a big deal for their use casfie of steep open slopes with soft snow. However, those conditions are not typical in New England...

For the conditions that are typical here, a ski with enough side cut and tip flex to initiate a turn, but stiff enough flex to actually lift the fishscales off the snow to give you good glide will be more fun.

Something like the Fischer Traverse 78, Alpina Discovery 80, Madshus M62, or the Åsnes Nansen or Ingstad will be more fun.

Of these, the Fischer has the best grip, the Åsnes are the fastest, while Madshus and Alpina are still good enough at a significantly lower price.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:26 pm

riel wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 pm
Stay away from the Outback 68, it is too soft to give good glide.
I handled someone's otx68's last year and they seemed more like a 1 1/2 cambered ski than the earlier, soft Outback 68. They look the same this year, but I haven't seen them outside of the plastic. They still stay made in the Czech Republic.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:27 am

If making turns like you do on alpine skis is your main priority then I'd suggest a light plastic boot, Scarpa T4 and a single camber ski like the S98 at the least or a Altai Kom or Voile Ultravector or Summit Cone Vagabond at best. With a set up like this you will be doing parallel right out of the gate as apposed to ending up laying in a twisted heap with a sore knee and your face in the snow. You will have better control in all situations and still be able to cruise 3 to 4 mph without much effort.

At any rate I wouldn't go with a double camber no wax ski if you want to do turns. I find that because of the stiff camber the scales are grabby when you compress the ski.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:49 am

Hello and welcome Jasonsansfleece!

I have much experience with racing-against-time to ski on temporary fresh snow in Coastal New Brunswick and Nova Scotia!

You definitely need at least a light, "narrow" cambered, fast trail ski for when the snow conditions keep you on woods roads and trails.

Unless you have access to steep open fields in your locale- as you already know- the local forest is so dense that one needs truly deep and soft snow to be able to tour through the Northwoods.

The S-Bound 98 is miserable as a straightforward XC ski- ESPECIALLY on consolidated snow.
I would suggest considering the 98 in addition to a trail ski- for more up-down touring pursuits.

I am assuming you are wanting a "waxless" scaled ski?

What binding system are you considering?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:43 pm

John Dee wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:26 pm
riel wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 pm
Stay away from the Outback 68, it is too soft to give good glide.
I handled someone's otx68's last year and they seemed more like a 1 1/2 cambered ski than the earlier, soft Outback 68. They look the same this year, but I haven't seen them outside of the plastic. They still stay made in the Czech Republic.
Interesting. I wonder if they're simply reusing the ski molds from the Sporten Ranger 68 / Alpina Discovery 68 for that run of Outback 68 skis, then. Both of those seem like better skis than the original soft Outback 68.

Jasonsansfleece

Post by Jasonsansfleece » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:36 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:49 am
Hello and welcome Jasonsansfleece!

I have much experience with racing-against-time to ski on temporary fresh snow in Coastal New Brunswick and Nova Scotia!

You definitely need at least a light, "narrow" cambered, fast trail ski for when the snow conditions keep you on woods roads and trails.

Unless you have access to steep open fields in your locale- as you already know- the local forest is so dense that one needs truly deep and soft snow to be able to tour through the Northwoods.

The S-Bound 98 is miserable as a straightforward XC ski- ESPECIALLY on consolidated snow.
I would suggest considering the 98 in addition to a trail ski- for more up-down touring pursuits.

I am assuming you are wanting a "waxless" scaled ski?

What binding system are you considering?
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, a waxless scaled ski with a metal edge and I was considering NNN BC.
If I were to use a BC binding I could also use the boot on a Nordic Skate, just trying to reduce the amount of gear one needs, futile exercise I’m sure. If I was using a Alfa Skarvet or Alpina boot with BC could I steer a S 98?
What would you suggest as a more straight up touring ski?
Spider 62, Outback 68? Showing some Fischer bias

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:28 pm

riel wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:43 pm
John Dee wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:26 pm
Interesting. I wonder if they're simply reusing the ski molds from the Sporten Ranger 68 / Alpina Discovery 68 for that run of Outback 68 skis, then. Both of those seem like better skis than the original soft Outback 68.
The guy who had the softer outback 68's now has the discovery 68's, so I should be able to tell you that. I think the alpina is a similarly mushy ski, and certainly a different profile.

The fischer dealer said I can take them out of the plastic if I want to, but I'll probably just go see if some already are.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:13 pm

How often are you on groomed XC trails? You've got to decide If you spend enough time on them, in a track, to justify going with something like a spider 62 or E99 (68@tip). If not, or if you can deal with skiing groomed XC out of the tracks I'd recommend something like a T78. Ski's like that with a little less camber and more width are far more usable off the groomers than the S62 sized skis, which aren't the greatest outside of groomers/forest roads.

For a more up and down turn oriented light BC setup I'd echo low angle Al, a T4 and a wide, waxless BC ski is the tool. S98, Objective, Vector, are all light but capable ski's for BC up and downs, rolling new england backwoods or even lift serve.
I'm in NH btw. Where on the coast of Maine are you? I've always wanted to tour Acadia on ski's...

Basically 3 ski's would cover everything perfectly; maybe something along these lines:

1. XCBC/track/forest road ski 55-65ish
2.Mid range light BC ski 75-85ish
3. Turn oriented BC ski 100-125ish

Those are approximations of course, but you get the idea. And obviously you can use a ski to some degree outside of it's ideal terrain/angle/conditions, and get away with a smaller quiver.

Anyway hope this makes sense, just based on my own experiences.
Last edited by 12gaugesage on Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:36 am

12gaugesage wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:13 pm
How often are you on groomed XC trails? You've got to decide If you spend enough time on them, in a track, to justify going with something like a spider 62 or E99 (68@tip). If not, or if you can deal with skiing groomed XC out of the tracks I'd recommend something like a T78. Ski's like that with a little less camber and more width are far more usable off the groomers than the S62 sized skis, which aren't the greatest outside of groomers/forest roads.

For a more up and down turn oriented light BC setup I'd echo low angle Al, a T4 and a wide, waxless BC ski is the tool. S98, Objective, Vector, are all light but capable ski's for BC up and downs, rolling new england backwoods or even lift serve.
I'm in NH btw. Where on the coast of Maine are you? I've always wanted to tour Acadia on ski's...

Basically 3 ski's would cover everything perfectly;

1. XC groomer/track ski 55-65ish
2.Mid range light BC ski 75-85ish
3. Turn oriented BC ski 100-125ish

Those are approximations of course, but you get the idea. And obviously you can use a ski to some degree outside of it's ideal terrain/angle/conditions, and get away with a smaller quiver.

Anyway hope this makes sense, just based on my own experiences.
I disagree with your characterization of a TN 66 or grouping of XC 55-66mm skis as groomer skis. People here have TN66 and Gamme and in no way feel stuck on the groomers. However, my 5mm smaller TN59 is a creature of groomers. So you shouldn't write off a 60-something ski.

Maybe there is an ideal ski for backcountry conditions where OP is. For heavy snow, it may be good to think about a trail braking ski, and maintaining these trails with a faster ski like the gamme. A 3 ski quiver really is nice because the widest ones may be the most fun in deep, heavy snow, but take a few trips to break a trail for a 60mm ski, while the mid sized ones don't.