Rabb 68- NNNBC, 75mm-3pin, or Xplore?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Rabb 68- NNNBC, 75mm-3pin, or Xplore?

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:55 pm

PXL_20221126_172359177.jpg
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

snow-mark

Re: Rabb 68- NNNBC, 75mm-3pin, or Xplore?

Post by snow-mark » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:48 pm

Oooo…I’m green with envy! How do you plan to use these skis?

Have you seen “Tom M.” on YouTube? Maybe he’s on this forum. Anyway, in the video below he shares his view about 3pin vs NNN-BC. I know it’s been discussed a lot here. He doesn’t see an advantage to 3pin and has an interesting argument. And in a recent video he shares that he switched to Xplor except for his most downhill-oriented skis (on which he uses Switchbacks). He has a few review videos of the Xplor bindings. I am personally tempted by the Xplor system. I’ve never tried NNN-BC (only NNN touring) and I use 3pin for all my backcountry skis. The only downside to Xplor is the boots seem quite pricey to me.

comradeporcupine

Post by comradeporcupine » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:14 pm

Advantage of 3 pin it seems to me is more boot selection, especially vintage leathers, or even lighter weight plastic like the T4.

I own a pair of good stiff leather 3 pin boots, in amazing condition. So for me it's a no brainer.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:25 pm

I wholeheartedly agree that my Alaska BC performs downhill better than my Alaska 75. However it’s not a contest when I clip on the Rotte ST cable on that Alaska 75. I actually believe the kick and glide of the Alaska 75 is better than the Alaska BC.
So for what I want to use my Falketind Xplore for, the Rotte ST cable is my choice.
Now Xplore is another story. However Xplore lacks the rail of the BC binding. I personally don’t understand how you can have a boot flex at the ball of foot, but not be torqued in the turn without the aid of a cable. From reviews I’ve read the Alfa Free isn’t to easy to flex onto the ball of the foot. I’m not sure what to make of that. I can get my Alico Ski March on the ball of my foot. I can’t see how I can control my back ski without the ball of my foot on that ski.
I will admit I see people on NTN not have the ball of foot on the ski. I attribute the fact that they ski powerfully to the binding being able to pressure the front of the ski. Perhaps Xplore duplicates that pressure to the front of the ski, due the the geometry between the pins and the underfoot bumper? I’m not sure, and I have not heard it explained in that manner.
I’ll conclude by saying Rotte ST with cable and Alaska is so powerful that it has really limited the time I ski with the Alico Ski March. The Rotte ST cable is in another league compared to both the Voile 3 pin cable offerings when skiing with a soft leather boot.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:42 pm

Gareth,
Rabb in 180 cm, correct? I’m very interested in reading your review of this ski. I’m interested in how it compares to your Storetind. I am also curious if the Rabb earns itself more than a bit role in your quiver. Very cool!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:30 pm

I don’t know.
But if you drop them off, I’ll get it figured out, test, and have them back to you by April 1st, 2023.
I promise…
8-)

DG99

Post by DG99 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:34 am

I’d totally put a T4 or T2 even on that. I’ve gone to wider skis though so as not to be so sensitive to deep or bad snow. But it was definitely a thing to put plastic 75 mm boots on circa 70 mm waist skis.

I see the Asnes Falketind is narrower, but still with lotsa sidecut, seems about like some old school telemark skis for leather boots. Went all over with those depending on snow conditions. Quite crud-sensitive though. But you could always do some side slipping, traverse, and kick turns to make it on through.

Cheers!

Edit: looks like Asnes suggests 75 mm or AT tech bindings for that ski on their web site. Also says it’s rockered and tapered, so should handle deep or difficult snow more better. Nice!

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 am

I am not leaning towards a plastic Telemark boot for this ski...
(I have other skis that are setup for that)
And- the only reason why- I think- that I would put 75mm on this ski is so that I could use my T4 if I wanted to...

However, I do have some leather 3pin boots that I am fond of-
And Fish and Roelant's reports on the Rotte 3pin-cable have me considering it...

I have as options on my shelf:
- NNNBC
- Voile 3pin cable
- Rottefella Supertelemark w "cable"

I also think that Xplore would be perfect on this ski...
And the switch from NNNBC to Xplore binding mount is very straightforward...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:01 am

I would go 75mm with a light cable binding. For me, this is about the most perfect ski for either leather or a light plastic boot. Sure you have other skis to use with plastic boots, but are they this light?

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:07 am

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:01 am
I would go 75mm with a light cable binding. For me, this is about the most perfect ski for either leather or a light plastic boot. Sure you have other skis to use with plastic boots, but are they this light?
Yes- I think so too.
And no- this ski is considerably lighter than my Storetind.
I use the Storetind as much or more with leather boots as my T4- but the Storetind is stiffer than the Rabb- with no taper and less rocker- I find I need the T4 on the Storetind if I really want/need to drive it.

75mm-3pin remains the most versatile option...