Adding Third Ski to Quiver - Falketind Xplore 62 or Fischer 98

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
John Dee

Re: Adding Third Ski to Quiver - Falketind Xplore 62 or Fischer 98

Post by John Dee » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:54 pm

I have similar inclinations as the OP. The Ingstad BC is only 288+shipping from Varuste and people aren't saying that the FTX has pushed that ski off of the map. Maybe its just too new. If money wasn't an option I might choose the newest model. I'm just hesitant towards skis with so much sidecut, even though most people say it doesnt' matter for glide.

YooperXC
Ski style: Classic XC
Favorite Skis: Transnordic 66, Excursion 88, and ???
Occupation: Fishing, Kayak Fishing, BWCA trips, Skiing....and working to pay for it all.

Post by YooperXC » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:13 pm

John Dee wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:54 pm
I have similar inclinations as the OP. The Ingstad BC is only 288+shipping from Varuste and people aren't saying that the FTX has pushed that ski off of the map. Maybe its just too new. If money wasn't an option I might choose the newest model. I'm just hesitant towards skis with so much sidecut, even though most people say it doesnt' matter for glide.

That is indeed a good question...based on my interpretations from TT dicussions on the Ingstad vs Falketind Xplore 62 the FTX is a slightly better at downhill, the Ingstad is a slightly better xc ski. Secondly, again from my interpretation, I probably should chose the Ingstad in the longer length vs a longer FTX, and a shorter FTX should be chosen vs a shorter lenght Ingstad for downhill.

I will read some more info on the Ingstad before my purchase of the FTX 62, unless I find an FTX in the next few days.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:42 am

YooperXC wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:13 pm
John Dee wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:54 pm

That is indeed a good question...based on my interpretations from TT dicussions on the Ingstad vs Falketind Xplore 62 the FTX is a slightly better at downhill, the Ingstad is a slightly better xc ski. Secondly, again from my interpretation, I probably should chose the Ingstad in the longer length vs a longer FTX, and a shorter FTX should be chosen vs a shorter lenght Ingstad for downhill.

I will read some more info on the Ingstad before my purchase of the FTX 62, unless I find an FTX in the next few days.
I wouldnt let it slow you down from buying the FTX if money isn't an issue. I was just pointing out that one ski costs almost half as much as the other one. The longer choice of an Ingstad is pretty purpose driven and doesn't seem like what you are looking for based on the skis you mentioned. It seems like you aren't in a totally mountainous area like me so I will tell you that is what I"m leaning towards.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:22 am

Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

YooperXC
Occupation: Fishing, Kayak Fishing, BWCA trips, Skiing....and working to pay for it all.

Post by YooperXC » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:18 pm

Will the Ingstad and E88 be redundant in my quiver? I am intrigued by the established performance of the Ingstad as very good back country ski that has the ability to turn. All sizes are available in the Ingstad while the only size available (at a reasonable cost) in the Falketind 62 is 196 cm.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:11 pm

YooperXC wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:18 pm
Will the Ingstad and E88 be redundant in my quiver? I am intrigued by the established performance of the Ingstad as very good back country ski that has the ability to turn. All sizes are available in the Ingstad while the only size available (at a reasonable cost) in the Falketind 62 is 196 cm.
Well- isn't this an excellent question!
To some degree, the only reasonable answer is yes! There is a fair amount of overlap in terms of performance between the Fischer 88 and the Ingstad. They are different- however, in many ways have more in common than they either of them do with the FTX.

The Ingstad and the 88 are both BC-XC skis that are tuned for skiing in deep backcountry snow and hilly terrain.
The FTX is a mini modern downhill ski that has recently been tweaked to offer- reportedly- better XC performance than its previous designs.

Ingstad vs 88 (other than that the obvious smooth sintered base vs waxless scales):
- Ingstad has a higher, more rasied tip
- Ingstad has more rocker in the shovel→ shorter effective edge→ easier turn initiation→ shorter turn radius
- Ingstad has shorter glide zone on consolidated snow→ less efficient XC on consolidated snow
- Ingstad actually has more final resistance underfoot
- 88 has higher intial camber
- 88 is significantly wider underfoot than the Ingstad

BTW- the Fischer Traverse 78 and Transnordic 82 are probably closer equivalents to the Ingstad (Asne doesn't have any current models that "match" the 88...)
This being said- the 88 is essentially a wider 78- they are near identical in every other respect.
Although I thought I would- I do not notice any increase in flotation between the 78/Ingstad (60-62mm) and the 88 (68mm)- my touring friends that weigh over 200lbs do notice.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

YooperXC

Post by YooperXC » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:38 pm

Based on all of the feedback on the Falketind Xplore 62 and on the Ingstad, I ended up purchasing the Ingstad 205 cm in lieu of the Falketind Xplore 62 196 cm. The Ingstad just seemed to be a better fit for the type of skiing that I will be doing in my local area.

Thanks for all of the feedback on this discussion thread. TT and all of the contributors are very helpful.

Mike K.

Wolvi

Post by Wolvi » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:47 pm

Do you guys know if the Ingstad still have the delamination issues that was reported by several folks in last 2 years ? Here in Quebec, ski trails can be quite dirty with roots, rocks, etc.

- Thanks in advance

YooperXC

Post by YooperXC » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:54 pm

Here are a few notes from my limited experience on the Ingstad 205 cm and Exursion 88 199 cm. I am sure my observations will change with time and experience. These particular observations were made when skiing in the deep wet wind driven snow that dumped during the Christmas of 2022 in the UP. Temps ranged from 10 F to 30 F.

1. My concern regarding the size of the 205 cm has been abated. At 180 lbs dressed 5' 10'" the 205 cm is easy to control and wonderful on the downhill.
2. Kick and glide is good so far. May be a little slow due to snow depth and/or over use of Polar grip tip to tail.
3. The Ingstad is great in 5 to 10 inches of new snow. Turns were outstanding and the K&G was very good.
4. In snow >15 inches, the Ingstad tended to bow like a banana and XC was very difficult. The E88 outperformed the Ingstad under these conditions.
5 I think the E88 is a stiffer ski and being 68 cm at the waist it seems to provide better float in deep snow.
6. The tip to tail Polar Grip wax with choice grip in the pocket provides just as much, if not more, grip vs the Excursion 88 at temps from 10 to 25F.
7. The Excursion 88 is an outstanding ski for me at 199 cm. K&G is very good, uphill grip is fantastic in the conditions above. Great touring ski although slower than the TN 66 and Ingstad. Will the E88 serve as my version of the Asnes Combat Nato? Probably.

I hope to get a bunch of time skiing this weekend as we received 15 inches of new snow over the last few days, Kitchen remodeling is getting in the way of fun stuff....

I did adjust waxing on the Ingstad as I think the tip to tail grip waxing slowed the Ingstad down a little. In prep for this weekend I applied Polar Glide wax on the tip and tail of the Ingstad (12-15 inches), applied Polar Grip wax over the balance of the skis, and blue & green over the pocket. We shall see how this works.

Also looking forward to using the new Alpina Alaskas NNN BC's.