Pictures, pictures and pictures!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
User avatar
randoskier
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:08 am
Location: Yank in Italy
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go
Occupation: International Pop Sensation

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by randoskier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:59 am

This missus on our final day skiing up the bank to or Sami buddy's house. To eat some of his reindeer with him and his family, old friends we have not seen since before Covid. He served cooked reindeer heart which is the best dark meat there is and his wife made a wonderful reindeer stew. The meat was so fresh that while we skiing the trail to his house I could see exactly where he slit the reindeer's throat and the blood trail most of the way to his house, Then it was waiting at Lonsdal Stasjon for the 23:30 sleeper train that goes 8hrs south to Trondheim airport.
herd.jpg
20240323_214538.jpg
20240323_172428.jpg
20240323_160246.jpg

User avatar
randoskier
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:08 am
Location: Yank in Italy
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go
Occupation: International Pop Sensation

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by randoskier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:08 am

Hope the guy drivin' the train ain't high on cocaine.... The single-track Nordlands Railway in Norway that goes from Trondheim north, crossing the arctic circle, and on to Bodø (about 10hrs, 20hrs from Oslo). It was built at a great human cost by slave labor employed by the Nazis during ww2- mostly Serbian and Russian POWs. We only had to follow it 6km (one train passed).
20240319_161548.jpg



User avatar
randoskier
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:08 am
Location: Yank in Italy
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go
Occupation: International Pop Sensation

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by randoskier » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:41 am

If you use a pulk I highly recommend that you build a rear-brake so that when you pause during an ascent your pulk cannot slide backwards and pull on you. It only requires an alu piano-hinge and a piece of plastic (or alu) for the flap- I used UHMWPE stock because I had it laying around- I braced the inside of the pulk with a strip of thin aluminium (about 3cmx10cm, 2mm thick). Granite Gear, who made a nice pulk at one time, was kind enough to tell me that the rear flap should extend 10cm (4") below the lowest point of the sled when it flush against the back. Worked like a charm.
20240215_132635.jpg
20240323_144226.jpg
20240323_144219.jpg



User avatar
Montana St Alum
Posts: 1177
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Location: Wasatch, Utah
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro
Occupation: Retired, unemployable

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:01 pm

randoskier wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:41 am
If you use a pulk I highly recommend that you build a rear-brake so that when you pause during an ascent your pulk cannot slide backwards and pull on you. It only requires an alu piano-hinge and a piece of plastic (or alu) for the flap- I used UHMWPE stock because I had it laying around- I braced the inside of the pulk with a strip of thin aluminium (about 3cmx10cm, 2mm thick). Granite Gear, who made a nice pulk at one time, was kind enough to tell me that the rear flap should extend 10cm (4") below the lowest point of the sled when it flush against the back. Worked like a charm.
I agree with the other old man!



User avatar
lowangle al
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm
Location: Pocono Mts / Chugach Mts
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:29 pm

That looked like a fantastic trip rando, and great pictures. It's nice to go back to places where your friends with the locals.



User avatar
randoskier
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:08 am
Location: Yank in Italy
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go
Occupation: International Pop Sensation

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by randoskier » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:48 am

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:29 pm
That looked like a fantastic trip rando, and great pictures. It's nice to go back to places where your friends with the locals.
Al there is good movie debuting tonight on Net Flix about the Sami people- it is based on a novel written by a Swedish Sami woman about some of the tribulations they endure as indigenous people. It is called "Stolen" (subtitled). The book was good too.

PS I should not be so hard on the vegans, my vegan cat-sitter did a great job while I was away and she didn't eat my flowers or anything.



User avatar
Montana St Alum
Posts: 1177
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Location: Wasatch, Utah
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro
Occupation: Retired, unemployable

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:08 am

randoskier wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:48 am
lowangle al wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:29 pm
That looked like a fantastic trip rando, and great pictures. It's nice to go back to places where your friends with the locals.
Al there is good movie debuting tonight on Net Flix about the Sami people- it is based on a novel written by a Swedish Sami woman about some of the tribulations they endure as indigenous people. It is called "Stolen" (subtitled). The book was good too.

PS I should not be so hard on the vegans, my vegan cat-sitter did a great job while I was away and she didn't eat my flowers or anything.
And didn't try to convert your cat to vegan-ism! Though I'd prefer my cat bring me carrot tops rather than mouse heads!



User avatar
Krummholz
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:31 pm
Location: Middle Park, CO
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
Occupation: Transnordic Boot molder
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595
Website: https://www.youtube.com/@KrummholzXCD

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by Krummholz » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:02 pm

Last ski of the season? Short but sweet. I’m leaving Monday for 10 days in Cali to see family. Rain / snow :?: while I’m gone. It’s been melting fast!


https://youtube.com/shorts/5DjwTWLw7WU? ... 810Q3R1bdR
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!



User avatar
lowangle al
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm
Location: Pocono Mts / Chugach Mts
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by lowangle al » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:26 pm

This was from last weekend at Belleayre Mountain in the Catskills. We saw a few other telemarkers anyone else skiing there?
IMG_9233.png



User avatar
Montana St Alum
Posts: 1177
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Location: Wasatch, Utah
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro
Occupation: Retired, unemployable

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:07 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:26 pm
This was from last weekend at Belleayre Mountain in the Catskills. We saw a few other telemarkers anyone else skiing there?

IMG_9233.png
The last time I skied Belleayre was in 1969. We had some races there (alpine) when I was in H.S.



Post Reply