GAS Symptom: All around telemark ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

GAS Symptom: All around telemark ski?

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:20 pm

I have promised everyone (my wife), "No more gear this year!" But, having sold my Alpine set up, I have found myself without anything to ski on piste. They were a Volkl Mantra M5 with Marker Squire TCX bindings. I tore my ACL in them and just can't/won't really ski them anymore. I tried last year and it was like housesitting with a dog that had formerly attacked me. Those Volkls were always way too stiff and heavy(i.e., over my head) for what I liked to do, anyway.

I've decided that the free heel and knee braces are safer than any Alpine set up. With the fully-releasable binding and free heel I can ski in complete safety :lol: . And I do like skiing on piste with family and friends. I am shocked to find that not everyone wants to trek miles into the back country to get a few downhill runs for free.

So, I'm interested in putting some Meidjo 3 bindings on an 'all around' tele ski. Something that I can ski on piste or off but that will lean more towards on. Note that I'm not going to be super aggressive on these. I don't ski super fast anymore (with injuries come wisdom, or fear.) Combination of groomers, leisurely trees, slow moguls, etc. And, backcountry when the opportunities arise. It should climb reasonably well but weight isn't my primary driver.
And I'm not going to ski in crud or tracked-out icy conditions. That's how I got hurt and I live close enough to skiing to leave when the conditions go to crap. Northern Utah winter conditions: powder/ice/powder/ice/etc.

I've grown partial to the Asnes skis and the Nosi 76 looks interesting as does the Fjoro 92 but I'm not all that familiar with skis in this category. Both have reviewed well here on TelemarkTalk and other places but, honestly, I've not run across any terrible reviews for any skis made for this category.

Thoughts? And what boot might you pair with such a ski and binding for this kind of moderate Telemark skiing?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: GAS Symptom: All around telemark ski?

Post by Stephen » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:47 pm

@JohnSKepler, see here for my previous post on Meidjo experience:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5005&p=51005&hilit=Release#p51005

With Meidjo (NTN) most people are looking at Scarpa TX Pro.
For the ski you’re looking for, you might consider Voile, like to V6 or Vector.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:24 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:20 pm
Northern Utah winter conditions: powder/ice/powder/ice/etc.
I got a chuckle out of this. I've lived in Park city for 30+ years but grew up skiing back east. It's not ice unless you can read a newspaper through it. We have "loud powder". :D

As mentioned, you're probably looking at Tx Pro's with the Meidjo which is a powerful set up. I would go talk to the people at Freeheel Life in Salt Lake, if you're close. They are very knowledgeable and helpful and would be happy to really take the time to discuss your needs and preferences.

I would gravitate toward a regular, but softer, alpine ski for the type of skiing you're describing. Being mostly resort oriented, those skis may be more torsionally rigid, which would be a benefit for the application you describe.

As an example, the QST 92 could be a viable option.
This is the 2022 model review. I notice it's on sale at Level 9 for $330 if the available sizes work, but many intermediate alpine skis are often discounted.

https://www.skiessentials.com/2022-ski- ... on-qst-92/

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:31 pm

What length ski are you thinking?

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:56 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:31 pm
What length ski are you thinking?
I'm 5'8", 185lbs fully loaded. Maybe 5lbs less at a resort as I almost always carry a pack with hydration bladder. That's 172cm and 81kg. So, somewhere between 170 and 180 cm. I tend to ski better on shorter skis and since my speed demon days are behind me. I'm more interested in float than speed which is a tradeoff.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:47 pm

Of the four skis on the left here (below link — minus the Voile V6 BC / traction pattern), I would say the Elan Ripstick 96 (recommended by @Woodserson — actually he recommended the 88 version, but I read that as maybe more East Coast friendly) would be the most all-around resort-friendly ski I have (while also still being fairly light-weight, for backcountry, including tail notch, for skins).
I’m sure there are many other good options.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5277#p52417

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:47 pm
Of the four skis on the left here (below link — minus the Voile V6 BC / traction pattern), I would say the Elan Ripstick 96 (recommended by @Woodserson — actually he recommended the 88 version, but I read that as maybe more East Coast friendly) would be the most all-around resort-friendly ski I have (while also still being fairly light-weight, for backcountry, including tail notch, for skins).
I’m sure there are many other good options.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5277#p52417
I can’t recommend the Ripsticks enough. The Icelandic Pioneers are a close second.

A few years ago the Ripsticks would have considered lighter BC skis. Now not so much but I prefer a bit more weight for the downhill experience over lightness for climbing/traveling. Depends on what one wants to do.
The 180 RS96 is 1650g
177 Voile UV is 1570g.

80grams and now it’s not a BC ski? Bollocks

DropKneeDiehard
Ski style: Rythmn and Flow
Favorite Skis: Atomic Telemark, Tua Cirques, Voile Ultra Vectors, All Asnes
Favorite boots: Asolo doubles, Asolo E Pro, T3s Root Beer, Scarpa TX

Post by DropKneeDiehard » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:23 pm

I second the Voile Ultra Vectors. Such a all around ski. Poppy and fun, holds an edge really well and handles powder up to a foot deep no worries (Thats the deepest I have skied it in).
I am 5'11" 80 kg /177 pounds

JohnSKepler
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:02 pm

What length should I be looking at in a Voile UV, Elan RS, and even the QST92? The similarities between these skis are more than their differences, it seems, so the length with any of them would be chosen in a similar fashion. I understand how to choose a length with a XC ski, but I'm less experienced with choosing length or Alpine or Tele use, and in the past I tend to buy too-long. For reference, I'm 5'8", 165lbs, 180-185lbs fully-geared. I'm an intermediate alpine skier, more experienced at classic skiing, but a tele newb. Ultimately I'll choose based on some combination of availability, features, and price. Much appreciated!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:59 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:02 pm
What length should I be looking at in a Voile UV, Elan RS, and even the QST92? The similarities between these skis are more than their differences, it seems, so the length with any of them would be chosen in a similar fashion. I understand how to choose a length with a XC ski, but I'm less experienced with choosing length or Alpine or Tele use, and in the past I tend to buy too-long. For reference, I'm 5'8", 165lbs, 180-185lbs fully-geared. I'm an intermediate alpine skier, more experienced at classic skiing, but a tele newb. Ultimately I'll choose based on some combination of availability, features, and price. Much appreciated!
It depends on conditions and applications. I'm skiing lift served in the Wasatch/Utah, 5'9" and 162 lbs, post-Thanksgiving!
For bigger days, 10"+, I'm on 182cm Dynastar M-Free 108 (108 underfoot) and they're perfect. For good powder days up to about 8-9" I'm on a pair of 172 cm Rustler 10 (102 underfoot) skis which can also be maneuvered in bumps in those conditions. Bump days with some, or no powder, I'm on 164 cm Rustler 9's (92 at that length).

I'm thinking around 172-ish on the length would be good.