Alpina Alaska NNN-BC and alternatives

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
snow-mark

Alpina Alaska NNN-BC and alternatives

Post by snow-mark » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:36 pm

I may try a swap to NNN-BC (from 3pin) on one set of skis. I have the bindings. Need boots. I have Alpina Alaska 75 mm and I like them. Is the fit on the Alaska BC about the same?

Any alternatives I should consider? Alfa? Lundhags?

Thanks.

エイダン.シダル

Re: Alpina Alaska NNN-BC and alternatives

Post by エイダン.シダル » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:00 pm

I certainly like my NNN BC Alaskas, but I haven't tried them 75mm. What's your skis?

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:15 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:00 pm
I certainly like my NNN BC Alaskas, but I haven't tried them 75mm. What's your skis?
Pretty sure this will be for my Madshus Glittertinds.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:25 pm

I have both Alaska BC and Alaska 75. The Alaska BC is actually a better downhill boot than the Alaska 75, well until you clip the cable onto the 75.
Both boots have the same fit, which is perfect for me. If the Alaska 75 fits you and you like it you will like the Alaska BC. If you wish you could wear another pair of socks, you may prefer to go to the Alfa Guard. Although the Guard is softer than the Alaska, guys report more downhill control as well as better striding. It seems to get generally great reviews.
There has to be a reason for the good reviews. The Alaska fits me like custom made, it’s really difficult to try something different.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:43 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:25 pm
I have both Alaska BC and Alaska 75. The Alaska BC is actually a better downhill boot than the Alaska 75, well until you clip the cable onto the 75.
Both boots have the same fit, which is perfect for me. If the Alaska 75 fits you and you like it you will like the Alaska BC. If you wish you could wear another pair of socks, you may prefer to go to the Alfa Guard. Although the Guard is softer than the Alaska, guys report more downhill control as well as better striding. It seems to get generally great reviews.
There has to be a reason for the good reviews. The Alaska fits me like custom made, it’s really difficult to try something different.
This is good to hear. The Alaska 75s fit me well. So you use both? What skis do you use each of them with?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:15 pm

I use my Alaska BC with my Gamme, and I my MT 51. I have also used my Alaska BC with Asnes USGI and an E-99. These are what I call my go fast skis. The Alaska BC is more longitudinally directional than the Alaska 75. Believe it or not the Alaska 75 is a bit softer and has a bit more snap. That being said, a ski like my Gamme has plenty of snap, I think the Alaska BC is a much better match. I’ve said it more than once, but the Alaska BC is a better downhill boot until you attach the cable to the 75.
I ski my Alaska 75 with my FT X, that’s it. The Alaska 75 is not enough boot for my Tindan 86. My Tindan is also mounted Voile 3- pin Hardwire. In my opinion the Voile 3-pin bindings just don’t work great with a thin duckbill of the Alaska 75.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:29 am

snow-mark wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:36 pm
I may try a swap to NNN-BC (from 3pin) on one set of skis. I have the bindings. Need boots. I have Alpina Alaska 75 mm and I like them. Is the fit on the Alaska BC about the same?

Any alternatives I should consider? Alfa? Lundhags?

Thanks.
Fit is the same between the Alaska 75 vs BC- same boot, different outsole.
The fit/last/volume of equivalent Alfas is quite different- wider in every dimension- much larger volume.
I am testing my first pair of Lundhags Nordic touring boots this season- Guide BC- wonderful but, very different than a leather boot-
the Lundgas is larger volume than the Alaska as well.
My Crispi boots are similar width to the Alaska- wider in the heel-ankle- but smaller volume.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:32 am

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered the Alaska BCs from REI since they were $250 instead of the usual $300. I actually decided to go a size down compared to my Alaska 75s, choosing 45 over 46. 45 is usually my size, but when trying on the Alaskas when I bought the 75s I though the size 46 would give me more room for layering socks. But over time, I prefer not to double up on socks and while the fit is OK, I think the 45 would be better. Obviously, an exchange with REI is pretty easy if the 45 is indeed to snug.

Hoping to get this all in my hands, bindings installed and the new kit fully tested out soon, as I have a hut trip in January.