Multiple "Voila" Straps for $2.00

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.

DIY keepers like this are...

... nice idea for cheap storage and organization.
100%
... rubbish. Buy 'real' gear you miser!
No votes
... good starting point for further customization.
No votes
... (other)
No votes

Total votes: 2

TallGrass

Multiple "Voila" Straps for $2.00

Post by TallGrass » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:06 pm

I was looking for some "sewing velcro" (no sticky back) on a cut-to-size roll. I've found 1, 1.5 and 2" at hardware stores before which makes for good adjustable velcro straps to keep things tight or in place. This is 3/4" x 3' (1.9cm x 91cm). I would have preferred 2", but this is what I could find.

Unlike alpine skis where the brakes lock together when the bases are matched up helping to keep them together, the same is a bit more like herding cats. So for that or for A-framing skis to your pack, here's an inexpensive alternative.

End result. Tab folded over to make it easy to pull with gloves. You could also take a lighter and melt down 1/4 - 1" of the hook side to make a flag tab that won't catch.
20230129_124927.jpg
Wrap a section around a pair of skis. Cut it off to about 3/4 of the circumference.
20230129_124957.jpg
Un-zip velcro, then overlay just the ends by 2" or more (staggered in photo for demo; line up cleanly in use).
20230129_125013.jpg
If you have a sewing machine, you can add in some closed-cell foam to the inside tail of the velcro for between the skis or over the top sheets. The foam may also keep one ski from sliding against the other, or you could use rubber from old bicycle/motorcycle inner tubes as well.

For $2 you get a yard of material, enough for multiple pairs of skis, versus $6 or so for
or

I do have a pair of the Swix wraps, and they work fine enough, but they do have a lot of tail left over when used on skinny Nordic skis.