ascension skins

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

ascension skins

Post by randoskier » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:52 am

Did anyone buy a pair of those Ascension skins that were on ebay two years ago? The $20 ones, guy had hundreds of 'em.

How does the tip mount work these? Do you have a photo? Have you skied them yet?

How is the grip? Tthey don't appear as grippy as my old purple rugs from Ascension

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: ascension skins

Post by fgd135 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:25 pm

I have a few pairs...there's a tail bracket and a green synthetic rubber tip stretcher, with two bails. Pass the skins thru the lower bail, fold and stick em back on themselves. The other bail by the round tab goes over the ski tip. Works just fine, ime the trick is to figure out by trial and error just the right skin length so when the stretcher is over the ski tip, the skin is held in place with just low-moderate tension. If you overstretch the tip, it can break just like an over tensioned rubber band.
Those stretchers were designed to fit moderate width metal edge xc skis like the MT65 military Asnes ski, and other similars. They work on E99s and the current Asnes Combat, etc.
Last edited by fgd135 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:35 am

fgd135 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:25 pm
I have a few pairs...there's a tail bracket and a green synthetic rubber tip stretcher, with two bails. Pass the skins thru the lower bail, fold and stick em back on themselves. The other bail by the round tab goes over the ski tip. Works just fine, ime the trick is to figure out by trial and error just the right skin length so when the stretcher is over the ski tip, the skin is held in place with just low-moderate tension. If you overstretch the tip, it can break just like an over tensioned rubber band.
Those stretchers were designed to fit moderate width metal edge xc skis like the MT65 military Asnes ski, and other similars. They work on E99s.
Thanks, that worked great. Funny system! I had to glue the portion that forms the loop with Stormsure glue because it kept un coiling. It is a good size for my Fishcer 88s. Thanks again for the info.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:28 pm

In the past we used to rivet the skins together at the lower bail. That doesn't give any options for adjustment, though.
These are a bit lighter than a pair of commercial Ascension skins I own that are the same width, but that pair is very heavy. Not had any grip problems with either, or wear problems except that pair I wrecked on one tour when I didn't bother to remove them for a long mixed icy/snow/rock traverse. Trashed that pair, but didn't have crampons or axes with us, and that seemed the best option.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:10 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:28 pm
In the past we used to rivet the skins together at the lower bail. That doesn't give any options for adjustment, though.
These are a bit lighter than a pair of commercial Ascension skins I own that are the same width, but that pair is very heavy. Not had any grip problems with either, or wear problems except that pair I wrecked on one tour when I didn't bother to remove them for a long mixed icy/snow/rock traverse. Trashed that pair, but didn't have crampons or axes with us, and that seemed the best option.
rRvet is a good idea. Not having that option I glued the loop with Stormsure flexible glue.

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:21 am

randoskier wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:52 am
How does the tip mount work these? Do you have a photo?

Contents:
20230205_230425.jpg

Instructions:
Direct Link to Full Size Image
20230205_231647.jpg

Instructions (high contrast, smaller file size):
20230205_230159.jpg

Respective ends of skins:
20230205_230447.jpg

On a Karhu Kodiak Edge205:
20230205_225944.jpg

From THIS POST by @Krummholz
Last edited by TallGrass on Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:51 am

@fgd135 et alii ...
Might consider saving a copy of this:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE USE AND CARE OF EURO-STYLE SKINS

Step 1:
Start by removing the release paper from the last 20 cm of the skin (the end with the hook) and sticking it to the bottom of the ski, so that the hook is against the tail of the ski. Then with your thumb or a hammer bend the hook over the top of the ski, so that it conforms to the tail of the ski. Repeat the procedure for the other skin.

Step 2:
Place the small wire loop of the rubber stretcher over the tip of the ski. Without stretching the rubber, mark the base of the ski at the back edge of the large wire loop. Carry the mark all the way to the edge of the ski, so it can be seen with the skin stuck on. Remove the stretcher. Place the hook on the tail and stick the skin on the ski all the way to the tip. Mark the skin 1/2 inch back from the mark you made on the ski. The mark on the skin will be where you fold the skin over through the rubber stretcher. Cot the skin off three inches forward of the mark, so that you have enough skin to stick to itself around the wire loop.
CAUTION: BEFORE CUTTING THE SKINS OFF BE SURE YOU HAVE SIZED THE SKINS FOR YOUR LONGEST PAIR OF SKIS. FOR YOUR SHORTER SKIS, YOU CAN JUST FOLD MORE SKIN OVER.

USE OF THE EURO-FIX

Wide Tipped Skis
To use the stretcher on wide tipped skis, start by placing the hook on the tail end of the ski, then stick the skin down working towards the front of the ski. When you reach the tip, pull the stretcher up and over the tip and engage the small wire loop on the tip of the ski. To remove the skins on wide tipped skis, start by grasping the front of the rubber stretcher. Stretch it until you can disengage the small wire loop from the tip of the ski. Then peel the skins off toward the tail of the ski, using the stretcher as a handle.

Narrow Tipped Skis
To use the stretcher on narrow tipped skis, start by placing the small wire loop over the tip of the ski, then stretch the skin until you can place the tail hook on the back of the ski. Next stick the skin to the base.
DO NOT PLACE THE HOOK ON FIRST AS THIS WILL PLACE UNDUE STRESS ON THE STRETCHER.
To remove the skins on narrow tipped skis, first unstick them from the middle of the ski outward. Next unhook the tail and remove the skins.

TIPS ON USE AND CARE

1. The skins are stored by folding the adhesive side against itself. The best way to do this is by folding the ends to the middle. To make it easy to unstick the tail end, ford [sic] the tip to the center first, then fold the tail to the center overlapping the tip loop by about 1/2 inch.

2. Store the skins folded to avoid contamination of the adhesive, When storing the skins over the summer, make sure the skins are dry.

3. Although the adhesive is designed to work at temperatures to zero and below, it works better when warmer. On very cold days it is a good idea to keep the skins inside your coat when not in use. Your body temperature will help warm them.

4. Do not drop the skins in the snow as this will contaminate the adhesive.

5. In the springtime it may be necessary to wipe any moisture off the skis before applying the skins,

6. Adhesive skins are only as good as the adhesive on them, so don't hesitate to add more if they are not sticking as well as you would like.

7. Regular treatment with Ascension Enterprises Glop Stopper will help prevent snow builldup [sic] and improve glide.

GUARANTEE: We at Ascension Enterprises are very proud of the materials and workmanship of our products. That is why we guarantee themunconditionally for a period of 1 year. If you have any problems at all don't hesitate to call us.

ASCENSION ENTERPRISES
Box 6785
Jackson, Wyoming 83001
(307) 739-1558

Stretcher Dimensions:
20230205_235845.jpg

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:38 am

TallGrass wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:21 am
randoskier wrote:

Contents:
20230205_230425.jpg

Instructions:
20230205_231647.jpg

Thanks for that, got 'em on, perfect width skins for the Excursion 88, no trim to the width required. We will test them out in Asiago tomorrow at the cheezy Nordic center before letting them loose on Norway the 15th.

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 pm

randoskier wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:38 am
TallGrass wrote:
randoskier wrote:
Contents:
20230205_230425.jpg
Instructions:
20230205_231647.jpg
Thanks for that, got 'em on, perfect width skins for the Excursion 88, no trim to the width required. We will test them out in Asiago tomorrow at the cheezy Nordic center before letting them loose on Norway the 15th.
You're welcome.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:40 am

TallGrass wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 pm
randoskier wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:38 am
TallGrass wrote:
Contents:
20230205_230425.jpg
Instructions:
20230205_231647.jpg
You're welcome.
Interesting that the written instructions from ascension are using both the metric cm and the imperial inch in the same document. That is how satellites go into their initial Mars orbit never to be seen again. Hope my skis don't go to Mars!