wind chill factor

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Re: wind chill factor

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:40 pm

Well said...

Wind Chill Blows
"It’s time to get rid of a meaningless number." By Daniil Engber

https://slate.com/technology/2019/01/wi ... eless.html

and:

"Wind chill is a terrible, misleading metric. So why do we still use it?" By Joseph Stromberg

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/19/10788306/ ... ll-meaning
Last edited by randoskier on Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:42 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:23 pm
randoskier wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:20 pm
The latter, not room for argument- the wind chill factor does not stand up to any rigorous scientific examination and the "heat index" is even bigger BS.
Actually, it does, both do. But since you fail to provide anything other than "I said so," so will I leave it at that. Great discussion.
Aren't you doing the same exact thing as rando? where's your data?

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:45 pm

connyro wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:42 pm
Yes, I am. Which I also stated. Don't you know how to read?

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:55 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:45 pm
connyro wrote:
Sorry, I kinda glaze over when reading your posts. My bad.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:08 pm

Re the first post, there's not much data there although dude makes some good points, notably this one:

"Direct sunlight can make us feel 10 to 15 degrees warmer, even on a frigid winter day."

Thing is, in my neck of the woods, when it's really sunny it's also generally calm. I prefer skiing in 0F sunny and no wind vs 30F cloudy and windy. Perhaps most of that is due to sun but after years of anecdotal evidence I like being outside when it isnt windy vs when it is (i.e. 15F and cloudy but no wind is preferable to 30F and windy). But again there's no real data per se in that fluff piece to move one to dismiss the idea of windchill as a semi-meaningfu if incomplete amd slightly innacurate measurement unless one is already predisposed to same. Not only that it uses a very misleading assessment of what windchill means by bringing up inatimate objects. Sure, radiators wont freeze if the temp is above freezing but the windchill below. What that fails to acknowledge is that windchill applies to evaporation of moisture of living beings. A piece of machinery is not a living being. As moisture is released from the skin due to wind taking it away a cooling of the skin occurs, making the body of that skin feel colder. Same reasoning applies why "green roofs" are good for the environment and the building below, because the heat is removed from the roofing structure due to these forces thereby cooling both, cf. evapotranspiration. Soil systems are living beings, metal pipes holding liquid are not.

Not only that... the first and second articles both state "This formula also assumes you'll be walking directly into a steady wind continuously, with your face totally bare." Are you wearing a full plastic balaclava and goggles when doing backcountry skiing? My guess is no, so this sort of reading has relevant info for those who are doing this.

I will leave this "discussion" with the fact that your first two supporting evidence pieces were from "journalists" from slate and vox, hardly credible sources.

As for @connyro, go fuck yourself. When this guy provides some meaningful evidence in support of his position I will counter with something equally as meaningful.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:08 pm

connyro wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:55 pm
mca80 wrote:
connyro wrote:
Yeah, that's becaise you're a shithead. Who knew?

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:13 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:08 pm
connyro wrote:
mca80 wrote:

Ah name-calling! The sign of a truly intelligent and interesting person.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:19 pm

connyro wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:13 pm
mca80 wrote:
connyro wrote:

No worse than your thinly-veiled attacks of character. But I am flyover deplorable so I keep it simple.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:28 pm

mca80 wrote:
Re the first post, there's not much data there although dude makes some good points, notably this one:

"Direct sunlight can make us feel 10 to 15 degrees warmer, even on a frigid winter day."

Thing is, in my neck of the woods, when it's really sunny it's also generally calm. I prefer skiing in 0F sunny and no wind vs 30F cloudy and windy. Perhaps most of that is due to sun but after years of anecdotal evidence I like being outside when it isnt windy vs when it is (i.e. 15F and cloudy but no wind is preferable to 30F and windy). But again there's no real data per se in that fluff piece to move one to dismiss the idea of windchill as a semi-meaningfu if incomplete amd slightly innacurate measurement unless one is already predisposed to same. Not only that it uses a very misleading assessment of what windchill means by bringing up inatimate objects. Sure, radiators wont freeze if the temp is above freezing but the windchill below. What that fails to acknowledge is that windchill applies to evaporation of moisture of living beings. A piece of machinery is not a living being. As moisture is released from the skin due to wind taking it away a cooling of the skin occurs, making the body of that skin feel colder. Same reasoning applies why "green roofs" are good for the environment and the building below, because the heat is removed from the roofing structure due to these forces thereby cooling both, cf. evapotranspiration. Soil systems are living beings, metal pipes holding liquid are not.

Not only that... the first and second articles both state "This formula also assumes you'll be walking directly into a steady wind continuously, with your face totally bare." Are you wearing a full plastic balaclava and goggles when doing backcountry skiing? My guess is no, so this sort of reading has relevant info for those who are doing this.

I will leave this "discussion" with the fact that your first two supporting evidence pieces were from "journalists" from slate and vox, hardly credible sources.

Both journalists write on scientific matters, one of them quite frequently for the Smithsonian. If you dispute any facts in their articles please correct them and bring them to our attention (and their editor's).

"Thing is, in my neck of the woods, when it's really sunny it's also generally calm." -that has no impact concerning the accuracy of "wind chill factor" and is anecdotal and meaningless to the larger discussion.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:33 pm

connyro wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:13 pm
mca80 wrote:
connyro wrote:

He is clearly a Trumper and science denier. Too much loud Ted Nugent perhaps. Becaise he said so lol.