Off topic threads...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Off topic threads...

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:36 am

I am tagging @mikesee because of your intervention in the Canadian Ski Marathon thread. I think you have a legitimate concern about this thread and you "probably" think the same about other recent threads such as "Ski food", "Ski music", etc. Personnaly I am not really concerned about that, except that it kind of "bury" some more telemark oriented thread.

I think that the "Off topic" Forum was created after a similar discussion a while ago and from what i see this Forum is "underused". I simply suggest that we make a better use of the Off Topic Forum.

As for the Canadian Ski Marathon, it's true that it is not necessarily telemark oriented, although i always find a couple of spot where i can do some turns with my skinnies :D So, i think this kind of discussion could be in the Off Topic Forum so those interested by this kind of skiing event could discuss this subject there and not "overcrowd" the main Telemark Talk forum.

@mikesee and others, what do you think of that?

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Off topic threads...

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:14 am

Perhaps there could be a sub forum for track skiing?
There is a lot of overlap of knowledge between xcd and xc so it doesn't shock me. The petitioner says that he is "disappointed" that the marathon thread doesn't have any useful information for him but i think that many people enjoy both, including him as he admits himself. In addition the petitioner seems most disappointed because this forums title is "Telemark talk" so track xc is off topic here but AT is ok in a backcountry forum as the latter doesn't spell out Telemark in the title.
For me this is making a storm in a glass of water. There are different grades of disappointment. Scrolling past topics not interesting for a reader are a basic skill to have. I for one completely ignore the sales forum so i miss a whopping 54% of said user's total contributions to this site. It is good that there are good sources of second had equipment grouped on TT. However I wish I could learn more about telemark from him when I read his posts. Looking at his blog he seems like an amazing adventurer, hats off to him for that.
I agree that the music and non ski related stuff is a bit more OT and suitable for the OT forum.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:11 pm

I know that recently I said to move the physics debate thread to the OT forum. But in actuality I don't think we even need an OT forum, and everything should be in one place. That being said I also feel that any political discussions should be banned totally.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:00 pm

Is there someone whose job it is to keep an eye on such things as this and make some decisions?
Sorry if I should already know.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:17 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:00 pm
Is there someone whose job it is to keep an eye on such things as this and make some decisions?
Sorry if I should already know.
Men whom enjoy liberty should be able to restrain their behavior, and when they temporarily forget their boundaries a gentle reminder from the group is all they should need.

For instance I heard a suggestion that perhaps the poor snowfall we are experiencing in my part of the country could be remedied by the immolation of a couple snowboarders. It’s a pretty funny suggestion, but we know we can’t do such things.
We just need to exercise the same self restraint when making posts ;) !

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:23 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:11 pm
That being said I also feel that any political discussions should be banned totally.
I f****** second this. Although this
fisheater wrote:Men whom enjoy liberty should be able to restrain their behavior, and when they temporarily forget their boundaries a gentle reminder from the group is all they should need.
is correct.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:52 pm

I'm on other forums and this one in particular should be commended for the quality of knowledge and discourse. Aside from a relatively brief GS squall, I'm impressed. It is notable that this is an unmoderated forum.

A whole world has opened up for me and I appreciate it.

fisheater wrote:
Men whom enjoy liberty should be able to restrain their behavior, and when they temporarily forget their boundaries a gentle reminder from the group is all they should need.

Well put

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:10 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:23 pm
lowangle al wrote:
That being said I also feel that any political discussions should be banned totally.
fisheater wrote:Men whom enjoy liberty should be able to restrain their behavior, and when they temporarily forget their boundaries a gentle reminder from the group is all they should need.
is correct.
All of this. I got drunk and posted threads I should not have and later regretted (music not appropriate, but philosophical aspects of skiing maybe). Also I didn't know there was an off topic forum, will check that out. As for politics when I tried to say that it didn't belong here last year it set off a whirlwind of hateful posts. Of course all of this leads one to ask the question of where the line is drawn, which itself could spawn 40 pages of discussion... hence fisheater's response seems the best.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:01 pm

wabene wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:52 pm
It is notable that this is an unmoderated forum.
Ah, this appears to be an actual answer to my actual question -- thanks.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:46 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:23 pm
lowangle al wrote:
is correct.
Men whom enjoy liberty should be able to restrain their behavior, and when they temporarily forget their boundaries a gentle reminder from the group is all they should need..... or a good thrashing. -A New Yorker weighs in.