Outcast vs Meidjo, my thoughts with far too little experience

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Outcast vs Meidjo, my thoughts with far too little experience

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:57 am

^^^ There have been days this year!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:40 am

That’s a lot of ski, especially Telemark

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:33 am

fisheater wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:40 am
That’s a lot of ski, especially Telemark
Yeah. 116 is the widest I've used, and was considering the Bent Chetler at 120 underfoot, but that would just about be my max.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:08 am

fisheater wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:06 pm
Hey Woods,
I hope you keep posting your journey into NTN. I’ve been an observer for a few years now. I didn’t think I was interested, but I have recently decided I need to ride chairs more regularly. It’s just been too many years of not enough turns, I’m embarrassed by my skiing. So for now my heavy set up is T-4 and Tindan, but I can see a typical resort set up down the road.
I have been talking to resort Telemarkers the past couple years this few days I was at the ski hill. The people I run into are mostly Outlaw skiers. Most primarily ride chairs, but are happy touring in Outlaws as well.
My question for you, what are your thoughts for touring and inbounds skiing on the T2 vs. the TX Pro?
Man, I’m really digging it. I love the control I get on the inside/back ski. It’s rock solid, addictive. I’ve been playing around with spring tension… if you go Outlaw lube the rods! Makes a big difference.
The TXP is close enough to the ECO. I use a Booster Strap and don’t buckle the the top two cuff buckles… works great. That just worked out on its own, I wasn’t trying to do something weird, I noticed over several days the buckles would be loose and then I started not buckling them down and it was fine.
I do wish it had the ratchet for the instep instead of a buckle, I’m bottomed out and need more tension and pulling the screw to put in a shorter wire has been impossible.

I have no big complaints otherwise except I wish I did it sooner!

But you could always upgrade to the ECO and just keep the bindings you have now. Still a great setup!

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:46 am

I ran the T2 Eco for a while on the JJ (116) and Axl (I think) as my only set up back when I had three kids in college and toured on that for a year or so, though only a few times a month. There's just too much vertical here for that kind of weight. Now I'm child poor and gear rich and loving it, but that set up was really nice. The T2 Eco is quite capable. Once you go to a more robust set up it's a little hard to go back, though.

I've used the Tx, Tx Pro and Tx comp and I thought they were all pretty nice with differences in performance not as great as I'd expected. The bellows on all three break down making the flex softer.

I was talking to Josh Madsen at FHL on their big sale day and his opinion was that if you're going seriously B/C the Lynx might be more robust than the Meidjo, but for us old guys, the releasability of the Meidjo was hard to beat. Pretty sure the Outlaw doesn't have a release function.

Also, going from both the Freedom and the Freeride which have an NTN connection much like the Outlaw, to low tech fittings of the Meidjo, the improvement in edge control is pretty remarkable. There's just no slop.

But, though gear is important, days out skiing is more important.
This is from 16 years or so ago. It's on Garmont Syner-G's and either Karhu 7TM's or G3's and K2 Work Stinx or Piste Stinx.
(I know, another old damn video!)
This was after about 3 years of tely, and I'd skied alpine forever, but I was also getting 50-70 days a year. Repetition is a huge factor.

I think about 12 years ago on Ecos, and Hammerheads.

Bottom line, regardless of gear, if you can get circuits lift served, it'll dramatically improve your skiing.

DropKneeDiehard
Ski style: Rythmn and Flow
Favorite Skis: Atomic Telemark, Tua Cirques, Voile Ultra Vectors, All Asnes
Favorite boots: Asolo doubles, Asolo E Pro, T3s Root Beer, Scarpa TX

Post by DropKneeDiehard » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:23 am

Were both sets of skis tuned the same way?
Did you borrow them off someone else.
I have had a similar situation skiing a mates identical skis with Freerides and the way he tunes them basically hook and grab for me.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:28 am

Also, going from both the Freedom and the Freeride which have an NTN connection much like the Outlaw, to low tech fittings of the Meidjo, the improvement in edge control is pretty remarkable. There's just no slop.
Oh that’s interesting. Was thinking I’d go Freeride for a lift served ski, and a Meidjo for BC, if I went NTN. Both releasable. Not anytime soon. !
But that tech fitting endorsement makes me think go Meidjo for lift served too.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:17 pm

DG99 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:28 am
Oh that’s interesting. Was thinking I’d go Freeride for a lift served ski, and a Meidjo for BC, if I went NTN. Both releasable. Not anytime soon. !
But that tech fitting endorsement makes me think go Meidjo for lift served too.
One problem I had with Freedom (and Freeride) bindings was that the "wings" on either side holding in the toe will really dig into the plastic on the boot. It got pretty bad on mine. Also, the Freeride is VERY active. My first day on them, I thought I'd forgotten how to ski! The Freedom is more neutral.