Return to XCD

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Return to XCD

Post by Manney » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 am

Returning to the sport after many years. Work, location (Munising), and crazy weather might allow me to get out five or six times a season (1-2 hours a sesh).

Will this be enough to build or maintain a high skill level? Would a big quiver help me develop rapidly as a skier? Maybe four or five new/used skis?
Go Ski

MidwestMadness
Ski style: Somewhere on a frozen lake pulling a pulk

Re: Return to XCD

Post by MidwestMadness » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:13 am

I would think that your location and the amount of snow the U.P. gets would allow you to get out more than 5 or 6 times a season. I can get out 15-20 times a season down here in southern Wisconsin where we get much less (and much worse) snow. Of course that doesn’t factor in work or other life related events.

As for skis, I would think a quiver of two would get your pretty far and would take away some of the indecision that sometimes comes with having too many skis, especially as you’re just getting back into it. Maybe something on the narrower side and then something a bit wider with some side cut for when you want to do some hills.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:37 pm

Hi Manney, to answer your questions, skiing 10 to 12 hours a season may be enough to maintain your skill level, but it will take a long time before you get to a high level.

I don't think multiple pairs of skis will help you learn quicker. I think the best gear to learn on will be the most stable gear. To me that means a plastic boot. The Scarpa T4 is the only XCD boot currently in production. Combine them with a single camber ski at least 70 mm wide or more at their narrowest point and you will be in a position to learn faster while having more fun and being safer doing it.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:55 pm

Al is right for most. BUT...... if you want Nordic telemark get double Camber, long skinny slicers. Only luck would get you leather boots which aims you in a direction that few aspire to. If you go there its a wild ride and hit the snow any time there is snow. Anything white.....ski it. You will get there and have a crazy ride doing it. TM

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:24 pm

All good suggestions but no one has asked the OP what his goals are and what kind of skiing/terrain he will be out on most. I am not too familiar with that part of the UP but know there are lots of hiking and equestrian trails nearby, and some smaller hills although I don't know about their ability to be skied primarily for downhill turns. That would be the first thing to discern. As for developing and maintaining ability nothing is as good as practice. Munising likely gets a decent amount of snow.

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:16 pm

Munising is a fantastic place to live and ski - great snow and great terrain! There's plenty of xcd options, from rope tow access to long bushwacking loops and open lakes. Here's a few ideas for getting out and skiing:

Bruno's run is a 9 mile loop through part of the Hiawatha national forest. It is useful for not only touring the trail, but also scouting for xcd opportunities in the adjacent forests: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hiawath ... ecid=13327

Hiawatha Slopes Ski Hill (Chatham ski hill) is a short slope with an all volunteer rope tow. The slopes are great for practicing turns, especially in the early season. There's plenty of trails and beautiful woods around the hill that are great for xcd: https://www.rockrivertownship.org/skihill.html

Munising mtn bike park is a possibility for xcd on trails. I'm not sure if any are groomed for fat tire bikes but look for the ungroomed ones: https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/80 ... -bike-park

I'd also explore around the AuTrain hill area. I know there's 2 tracks that go up there. There could be some good terrain there.

Forest Lake area inland from AuTrain near the autrain forest lake road/m94 intersection has some good hills that I spent some time exploring. Also, the North Country Trail goes through this area. I haven't skied it, but on mtb it's really fun.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:07 pm

Hello and welcome Manney!
What do you mean by "XCD"? What/where are you intending to ski and your associated objectives?

If your intent is "rapidly develop" technical skill-
all things being equal-
I would advise against a large quiver of skis.

Determine what you want to do-
- pick a boot that ideally suits it
- pick a ski that is ideally suited to it
- prep/tune the ski for the intended skiing context (i.e. snow conditions; terrain; etc.)

Look for another ski when you want to do something very different, and the first ski is terrible in that context.
I have lots of different skis because-
I have a large family-
I have a large local ski touring clan (family and friends)-
I like to try and test new equipment.
Having a large quiver does not inherently lead towards levelling-up technical skills.
But-
a poorly-suited boot-
and/or a poorly-suited ski-
and/or a poorly prepped/tuned ski (i.e. grip/glide)-
will certainly lead to challenging skill development and perhaps a poor experience.

What are you considering?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:48 am

Manney wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 am
might allow me to get out five or six times a season (1-2 hours a sesh). Will this be enough to build or maintain a high skill level?
5 or 6 x 1-2hr = 12hr/year max?

Max 12hr/year sounds more like an interest, not even a hobby, like fly fishing 1-2x/year.
Would a big quiver help me develop rapidly as a skier? Maybe four or five new/used skis?
No.
Big toolkit a mechanic does not make.

I'd first nail down what you want to do (goals), where you can do it, what kind of gear fits that, and can you do it more often, regularly, or basically more hours IF you want to do anything more than very basic stuff.

There's all sorts of sporting activities that'll put a smile on yer puss -- keep expectations grounding and chase your bliss.

greatgt wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:55 pm
get double Camber, long skinny slicers. Only luck would get you leather boots which aims you in a direction that few aspire to. If you go there its a wild ride
Did someone page me?

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:46 am

TallGrass wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:48 am
Manney wrote:
might allow me to get out five or six times a season (1-2 hours a sesh). Will this be enough to build or maintain a high skill level?
5 or 6 x 1-2hr = 12hr/year max?

Max 12hr/year sounds more like an interest, not even a hobby, like fly fishing 1-2x/year.

In Norway a very few people fly-fish for salmon, but for all else most people fish with a spinning rod and they quite often use nets on lakes for the big Brown Trout and Char. Fly-fishing is an Anglo obsession. Norway has the best fishing I have ever seen both inland and sea.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:47 am

Manney wrote:
Returning to the sport after many years. Work, location (Munising), and crazy weather might allow me to get out five or six times a season (1-2 hours a sesh).

Will this be enough to build or maintain a high skill level? Would a big quiver help me develop rapidly as a skier? Maybe four or five new/used skis?
No, buy a snowmobile