I could turn last week, but not this week, maybe next week?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: I could turn last week, but not this week, maybe next week?

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:54 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:28 pm
On jump turns, and I'm not an expert, I did notice that I had to be careful not to try to jump forward. My natural inclination is to jump forward. Lean forward, weighting the balls of the foot, push up and forward. If you do that you're going to be leaning back when you land and...

GOM.jpg

For me, working on these, its more about jumping straight up, not jumping forward or side to side. The motion you want is rotation of the skis which, by conservation of angular momentum, you have to start before you leave whatever surface you're jumping from. If you're in powder, when you jump up, your skis are going to sink. Then, when you land, your skis are going to sink again. In both cases, when you sink you slow down. One more thing to account for!
John, you have to jump to the side or you won't turn. The point is for your skis to cross the fall line and point the other way.

When I first started doing these on dbl camber skis on a the "low" angle I noticed that it was easier when my tips pretty much stayed on the same course and only my tails crossed the fall line. Start with small direction changes.

You can jump forward, but like with everything we do on skis you need to stay centered. Also I would not pressure the ball of the foot on my lead ski, keep the pressure on your whole foot.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:22 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
For me, working on these, its more about jumping straight up, not jumping forward or side to side. The motion you want is rotation of the skis which, by conservation of angular momentum, you have to start before you leave whatever surface you're jumping from.
This is correct. Rotation, not jumping to the side. Start in low, no pow conditions. Move to more pow, steeper angle, after mastering technique in low pow. Visualization important either way. Rotation of entire ski, not a pivot. Equal weighting, unweighting on both skis.

Start with an open stance. Not ideal but it will help balance, reduce chance of tips crossing. You’re building muscle memory, spatial awareness for the jumping, unweighting, rotating, posture part. Anything that gets you there in good form is a +. Closing up the stance after weighting and rotation is nailed.
Go Ski

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:37 am

Manney wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:22 am
JohnSKepler wrote:
For me, working on these, its more about jumping straight up, not jumping forward or side to side. The motion you want is rotation of the skis which, by conservation of angular momentum, you have to start before you leave whatever surface you're jumping from.
This is correct. Rotation, not jumping to the side. Start in low, no pow conditions. Move to more pow, steeper angle, after mastering technique in low pow. Visualization important either way. Rotation of entire ski, not a pivot. Equal weighting, unweighting on both skis.

Start with an open stance. Not ideal but it will help balance, reduce chance of tips crossing. You’re building muscle memory, spatial awareness for the jumping, unweighting, rotating, posture part. Anything that gets you there in good form is a +. Closing up the stance after weighting and rotation is nailed.
Well there's more than one way to do it, and jumping to the side is one of them.

Manney, I noticed you insulted me for being a boomer, so I assume you are younger than me. My guess is I was doing jump turns when you were still shitting your pants.

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:41 am

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:37 am
Manney wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:22 am
JohnSKepler wrote:

Well there's more than one way to do it, and jumping to the side is one of them.

Manney, I noticed you insulted me for being a boomer, so I assume you are younger than me. My guess is I was doing jump turns when you were still shitting your pants.
And I will be doing jump turns when you are shitting yours. You were called a boomer for trying to shut down discussion in a thread I started. Not helpful, not cool. Controlling. An older “Karen”.

Jumping sideways is jumping sideways. It’s not a turn, change of direction of travel. Closer to a sidestep, maybe without the step. Poor technique for a jump turn.
Last edited by Manney on Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:44 am

you remind me of that asshole grim surfer

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:49 am

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:44 am
you remind me of that asshole grim surfer
Yeah. Whatever. Keep skiing the hi pow steeps. So you can tell us how.
B032648B-F728-41D3-BF07-23B5F82C2532.jpeg
Go Ski

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:13 am

The deep pow steeps i ski don't require jump turns. Even if they did, I don't know how to do them without having a solid base to "jump" from.

Lets see some of your tracks.

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:19 am

Quick and simple questions for Manny: Do you use the telemark turn? Do you partake in xcd skiing? You've mentioned your alpine racing experience but I wonder if you speak from experience when you give advice about tele or xcd, especially considering your first post on this site:
Manney wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 am
Returning to the sport after many years. Work, location (Munising), and crazy weather might allow me to get out five or six times a season (1-2 hours a sesh).

Will this be enough to build or maintain a high skill level? Would a big quiver help me develop rapidly as a skier? Maybe four or five new/used skis?
Not trying to call you out, just looking for some perspective. 5 or 6 times a season for 1 to 2 hours each time is far less than an average week of skiing for many skiers.

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:38 am

I asked that question to see the responses. Zero context. Like skiing experience. Like whether I meant tele, xcD, XCd, AT, DH, XC a few times or just tele. Some people asking Qs. Some people with sensible answers. Some doing neither, crusty swipes. Some stayed silent. Helps identify who is in the zoo. Important when joining a chat group, forum.
Go Ski

connyro

Post by connyro » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:43 am

Manney wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:38 am
I asked that question to see the responses I’d get. Zero context. Like skiing experience. Some people asking Qs. Some people with sensible answers. Some doing neither, crusty swipes. Some stayed silent. Helps identify who is in the zoo. Important when joining a chat group, forum.
You didn't answer the questions. Should I draw my own conclusions or would you want to try again?