"Reverse Telemark" aka Goofy-Foot, Kramelet

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: "Reverse Telemark" aka Goofy-Foot, Kramelet

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:48 pm

[/quote]
LUCK: when preparation meets opportunity. 8-)
[/quote]

I like that!

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:17 am

Ski training takes back-to-basics approach under Mahre brothers

I am sliding down Pack Saddle Bowl behind Steve Mahre, one half of the Mahre twins, the greatest ski racing duo in US history. First, I am on one ski, then on the other, now leaning forward, now leaning back.
``He wants to know what it feels like to stand on just the ``outside ski.'' That's the uphill one! And turn besides? I'll tell him what it feels like. It feels like I'm going to (SPLAT!) fall.''
They are teaching balance, something that may seem obsolete with today's sophisticated equipment, not to mention dull when it's so much more fun to cruise down intermediate trails.

Source: https://www.csmonitor.com/1985/0111/pmahre.html
Mahre brothers teach skiing their way

"When I look on the slopes today, I see so many people out of balance," said Phil Mahre, an Olympic medalist and World Cup champion who is recognized as one of the best technical skiers in the world. "Good balance is the very foundation of skiing and to work on improving, a skier needs a solid foundation.''
"There are so many things that are counterintuitive in skiing, such as leaning downhill and allowing gravity to help in the turn," Phil Mahre added. "The initial reaction is to lean uphill, which makes turning awkward and difficult. In skiing you find if you fix one thing, you actually fix two and often that means fixing bad habits. People struggle with old habits. Old habits, good or bad, are comfortable and to make a bad habit better, it often doesn't feel better in the beginning. It can feel awkward and strange. It's hard to change old habits.''

Source: https://www.ksl.com/article/38093829/ma ... -their-way

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:16 am

That reminds me, since it was about 50 years ago, but in my misspent youth, friends and I would occasionally ski the face of the upper Bridger lift at Bridger Bowl (Bronco, I think, which was usually pretty bumped up) on one ski. We'd take a ski off and ride up for a run, switch to the other foot and make another run. It did wonders for improving balance and the ability to independently operate both legs. Of course, it didn't hurt that we were probably all under 140 pounds on alpine gear. And young.

Another completely useless exercise that's really only good for a couple of laughs - While stopped, go up on both toes, dropping both knees to the skis. Now do it at the pace of a slow walk.