GPS/PLB, Mapping, and Navigation

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

GPS/PLB, Mapping, and Navigation

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:13 pm

I primarily will be using these devices for backcountry skiing, hiking, mountainbiking, motorcycling. These trips can be up to several days long in areas without cellular service.

I'll use these definitions:
  • Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - a device that uses satellite messaging services to send an SOS with my location, or a periodic text with breadcrumbs, or a text outside of cell service
  • Navigation - knowing where I am, where I've been, and how to get where I'm going
  • Mapping - the ability to record my tracks, study the terrain around my location, and choose a route
  • Skiing/hiking/biking - small, light, waterproof, shockproof, cold resistant, long battery life.

Currently I satisfy the navigation and mapping functions with an older Garmin Montana 650T.
Pros: It is reliable. I know how to use it. I already own maps for it. Can run on AA batteries
Cons: Smallish screen. Slow performance. Dated OS. Dated map formats no longer supported. Tied to Garmin.
I don't feel like I have to replace this.

I do not currently satisfy the PLB requirement.

There are a number of ways so satisfy these requirements.

My Montana 650 and an inReach Mini would satisfy all of them but the texting function on the inReach Mini is severely restricted on the Mini so I'd also want to carry a cell phone. The cell phone introduces battery life and environmental risks, however, the inReach remains useful without the cell phone but with no mapping and very limited navigation.

I could use my 2022 iPhone SE with Gaia or CalTopo for mapping and navigation and it would connect with the Mini for the PLB. The downside to this is that CalTopo and Gaia aren't really navigation devices. They are mapping devices. You can navigate with them but it isn't really their forte. So, I might want to continue to carry the 650T depending on what I was doing. Moroever, battery life on cell phones is not designed for multi-day life.

A Gamin Montana 700i or 750i would handle PLB, mapping, and navigation. The downside is that it is a large, heavy device with poor battery life unsuited to unsupported backcountry use. It also cannot use AA battery backup.

For me, it sounds like an inReach Mini with my iPhone SE and a mapping tool like Gaia or CalTopo will be sufficient to handle PLB, navigation, and mapping for most situations. Turning off the phone when not in use could extend its battery life significantly. If I wanted better navigation capability I could also bring along my 650T. This also only requires me to purchase one item, the inReach Mini. But, it's also adding weight and complexity.

What do you all think? What are you using? What subscription plan works for you? Are there any game-changing differences between CalTopo and Gaia? Since I'll have to purchase a plan with the inReach, I'd prefer to only carry one more mapping plan and become proficient with a single tool for field use.
Last edited by JohnSKepler on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: GPS/PLB, Mapping, and Navigation

Post by mca80 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:13 pm
What do you all think? What are you using?
Printed topo maps and a compass. And I let someone know where I am going and when I will check in.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:25 pm

I use an Inreach Mini for work sometimes where I expect cellular service to fail. It is deemed good enough for our use. For work we use ESRI FieldMaps on mobile phones with battery pack backups, but ESRI is a premium service.
I didnt know about Caltopo, cool map service. Ill look more at that one for personal use.
For navigation I have a Fenix 6 sapphire for positioning, I use a phone with preloaded national maps for more detailed navigation. When in ultra power saving mode a phone can last for several days, and a battery pack is always along in those cases. It has longer battery life than a Garmin Vista (except that batteries cannot be changed on the go, only charged up). But hey, it has 50+ hours of battery with GPS on...
Furthermore, if I am somewhere unfamiliar and far from road access, I always have a paper map and a compass.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:33 pm

mca80 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 pm
JohnSKepler wrote:
What do you all think? What are you using?
Printed topo maps and a compass. And I let someone know where I am going and when I will check in.
I do this as well, though I don't always need a map. The condition I'm looking to mitigate here is having a way to send a message allows me to change my plans on the fly if, say, a particular spot is unreachable, or has poor show coverage, or whatever. One of the most dangerous backcountry mistakes is changing plans and not telling anyone. This lets me prevent that mistake without just turning around and coming home.
Roelant wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:25 pm
Furthermore, if I am somewhere unfamiliar and far from road access, I always have a paper map and a compass.
^^^ This!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:52 pm

I have used my iPhone with CalTopo and inReach mini as my combo for years now. I agree--your limitations are correctly identified, but they are the least of the limitations of any setup I think.

Most trips I do not use the texting function with the inReach. They provide 3 preset messages that are unlimited use, so I use those 99.9999% of the time. Actually... to tell the truth the "I'm behind schedule, but OK" is probably 95% of the use. :/

I prefer using CalTopo over full navigation, but that's a personal preference. The one issue I sometimes have is that without cell service the GPS location finding can be really, really slow. Always remember to download the layers you need before hand. One of the major benefits of CalTopo (I think you need the paid version for this) is the ability to create geometry on your own maps. Here's my shapes and notes on a ridge traverse I did of lassen a couple of years ago:
lassentour.JPG
Having the ability to create zones, points and notes is really helpful. And I did bail from the ridge due to rockfall hazard that day.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:09 pm

Garmin Oregon. AA. Poor battery life at high brightness. Better visibility without backlight during the day though. Full Garmin trail map load… lifetime updates. Carry as backup with spare batteries.

Map or iPhone are primary. No cell service = no/low navigation.
Go Ski

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:58 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
  • Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - a device that uses satellite messaging services to send an SOS with my location, or a periodic text with breadcrumbs, or a text outside of cell service
  • Navigation - knowing where I am, where I've been, and how to get where I'm going
  • Mapping - the ability to record my tracks, study the terrain around my location, and choose a route
  • Skiing/hiking/biking - small, light, waterproof, shockproof, cold resistant, long battery life.
Just for a electricity reality check (and a good, oft referenced read)...
Snow-Blinded On The Summit
How Enos Mills got off the 'continental divide' pre-1920.

First, a "PLB" is only that and has no messaging ability (term nit pick). Think what would be in a life raft when a yacht sinks in the gulf, just a location transmitting a "SOS" that'll get relayed. I would split the two off into Comms and PLB.

Second, the piece of kit with the greatest Capacity to Weight ratio lies between your ears. When you use a map on the "planned" route in person, it should be the 3-5th time you referenced it because you've found it in gross research, again narrowing down options, again when settling on a route, at a minimum. You (ideally) should have the map (broad area) and route (specific) in your head already so that referring back is mere formality because you recognize either where to go, or at least the general nature such as "I remember there was a key fork around here and 'Pine' something which I believe I need to turn left at" so you double check.

Keep updating your Mental Map as you go including looking back at regular intervals and verbally calling out landmarks, features, etc. (it facilitates retention) to ingrain and for use if you have to either double back or verify where you are as in, "hmm, map says I should have passed X, Y and Z but I only remember X."

Battery Free Plan: Too many, IMHO, rely or addicted to batteries for vision, mapping, and comms. Pretend if you lost all battery power (fell in creek, bear runs off w pack, EMP, ...) could you still get along? Always have a hard copy of some sort. Nat Geo maps are waterproof, some print own maps on water/tear proof 'paper', and paper print offs can be carried in a ziploc freezer bag or similar plastic bag. Have a mechanical pencil and sharpie to make/leave notes on different substances. Part of your First Aid kit should include a Swiss Army pen knife like the Classic and nail cutters, and I like to pack a version of the SA classic that has a pen instead of a toothpick (tweezers for splinters). I've had batteries die or go thermally dead due to cold (work again once warm) in whiteout conditions, yet could braille navigate via mental map.

PowerPack Brick: Friends who are battery dependent/intensive bring one to recharge their devices. Get one that also has a LED for a backup light source if you do.

Lighting: I do pack a headlamp, sometimes a second lamp (cell phone's "flashlight"?), and fresh back up batteries. However, I've found it useful to conserve by seeing how long I can go into dusk-night without using it, if nothing else so not totally unprepared when lamp-less. At times I've hiked all the way back at 11pm without ever using it, just letting my eyes adjust, and adapting to dark-navigation using other senses and "Cones vs Rods" -- experiment: in a dark room look AT an object you cannot or only barely see, then look next to it and see if you can see it peripherally. Changes in trail firmness via trekking poles, "hallway" through the trees silhouettes, depth cues, a lot of stuff we're evolved to do but tech and electricity have made us lazy. I've played "first lamp buys drinks" with hiking partners who to get them to try lamp-less hiking, and most are surprised what is possible.

Be observant and adaptive. There will always be things not on the map worth noting, even using. Forest roads, mining roads, social trails, terrain "weaknesses" and the like. Read any and all signs, e.g. you pass Baker trail forking off to left and again merging in from left miles later, coming back landslide blocks your route but you realize you could Baker around it. If you bail into a valley and are trying to get back down and out "the wrong side" due to circumstances, a mine shaft/adit is a good thing to find -- multiple days work effort means at minimum there's a beaten foot path to it, better a mule path, which will lead to a road, and a road to a town as you descend. There are countless others as Harold Gatty attests.

Read Finding Your Way without a Compass by Gatty, as well as his bio.

Screenshot anything vital on your phone as apps have a nasty tendency of wanting to "update and refresh" automatically, wiping what you had on your screen, only to replace it with "No Service" and some image a dipsh## engineer in silicon valley thinks is cute. Keep phone in airplane mode and switch to it before powering off. Keep phone attached to you and warm (chest pocket) or be religious about pack security if stored there. They can fall in creeks and off ridges so I always have at least one thing "hooking" them securely.

Smart phone apps: use what you like, but never rely on it -- never sit on a stool with fewer than three legs. For me, I use it mainly as a camera and alarm clock in Airplane, and a back up comm.

COMMS: Know low tech and treat hi-tech (In-Reach, cell, sat phone) as back up. As outdated as some may claim, if SAR is on the other side of a valley, you can flash Morse Code (who didn't invent it) for at least a simple "tweet" ("broke ankle", "GI poison", "concussion", "bear maul", ...) via mirror, flag, headlamp, coat, etc. and they can jot it down and decode later or via their radios. Easy to print off several small 2x3" copies on a sheet, cut, and leave one in FA kit, packing tape another to the back of a mirror or other piece of kit. And ... --- ... is universal (SOS) -- even if you --- ... ---, 3s are known as emergency (3 cairns in a triangle). I'd go with InReach/Spot as you prefer (some interface with cell for texting), but use sparingly, and consider Location Update Frequency could effect battery life. I've used them before but "meh", though it was nice to send a text for a pick up down a county road versus hiking 7mi out to the highway once, and they brought the fast food I requested.

GPS: I use a Garmin eTrex something or other. Maps loaded (micro SD), color screen, basic, and I use it primarily for elevation (ball park), waypointing, and backtracking to a waypoint. Go with what you like, just don't get dependent on it. I use high quality Panasonic (forget model) rechargeable AAs, two in, and two in reserve, which I top off before any long trip as NiMH self-discharges, though I usually also have an alkaline back up pair too. Ideally, all my batteries would be either AA or AAA (lamps) for interchangeability and to cannibalize, but alas. My headlamp also uses rechargeables (AAA) and has a USB port to recharge via vehicle.

"Paper" Maps: In engines they say "there's no replacement for displacement." Translate that into screensize. I much prefer a 8.5x11" paper "screen" to a 2x3" or even a 4x6" one. Trails Illustrated (bought by Nat Geo) ones are for the "big picture", paper printouts for route specific and notes, and GPS nice location verification and limited sight (whiteout, night, fog, ...). I've found a compass less useful in the mountains due to the ability to deduce N from the terrain and maps, though still pack one. It also helps that CO has little declination regarding magnetic vs true north versus other parts of the U.S./Can. What I pack depends on how well I know the area, though usually pack something in case I have to forge a "new route."

Light Comms: Most headlamps have white, red, and strobe for both as well as dimming. Red and dim conserve, though strobe usually conserves more. When scouting ahead, I've "painted" (draw circles around target with beam) X and then Side-to-Side for "NO" (doesn't go; you don't want that) or Up-Down-Up... for "YES" (this goes; that's trail). It's also good to be found -- you continue along ridge for a few more peaks, partner drops into valley above treeline, goes red strobe facing your last peak so you can drop down to them. Likewise, with second (reading) light on Morse Code sheet, you can send a message a long, long way -- just think how far you can see city lights. I remember doing a multi-peak link up, on a ridge, and spotted a lamp two valleys over going up what I knew was a non-standard route (think class 4 on a class 1 peak). Both being aware, we spotted each other (both above 13k' at night), recognized we were both on an adventure (ascending so no distress, at night, ...), "waved" to each other via lamps ("shave-and-a-hair-cut..." call, "...two-bits" response), then realized neither of us knew Morse by heart to "chat" any more and resumed our climbs.

Passive Light Comms: Rather than leave a lamp on tent so you can find it in the dark (and a squirrel run off with lamp), make use of clear-coated retro-reflective tape (e.g. SOLAS) on gear and objects. At least one square on the back of your partners helmet makes them easy to spot and uses no batteries. On poles and snowshoes, it makes it easier to locate them on the ridge on return. On lamps and devices, it makes them easier to locate if dropped in the leaves. White is best for distance, red for contrast (not snow or quartz reflecting). Having it on your gear (even an old Uphill Access band thru the packs daisy chains) also makes it easier for SAR to spot you even if your lamp is dead, and you can passively Morse back if they keep their beam on you or otherwise signal (up down, side side).

RADIO: There's simple walkie-talkies to multi-watt transmitters that SAR/Sheriff/USFS use, and restrictions to transmit as well (listening is fine). I do use walkies at times with some partners. The small ones are worth it on trad climbs where your climber/belayer may be 100' away, over a ledge, and too much wind to shout. For braided hikes (diverge, merge, repeat), hike-aheads, and bail-rejoins, they can supplement a pre-arranged plan. It's too easy to find ones with WX (weather radio) and Call (make your partner's walkie squalk or chime to locate them or walkie dropped in snow/leaves) not to get that option. Add a shoelace/paracord loop to girth hitch to pack, don't rely on clip. Note watt output (transmit) as that's key for range, and some channels may allow 5W others only 1.5W (GMRS vs FRS, FCC, etc.). It's also good for finding a group in backcountry with a plan (e.g. alarm set for :00, turn on radio :00-:05 every hour to receive) to both locate and conserve batteries. I have two types of Midland walkies: 4 AA type for distance (5W), and small 3 AAA (LCX 110 maybe???) ones for closer -- pack what is appropriate, if so. Note in some areas you can reach "town" via those using them there who can relay a message if need be -- not uncommon to be on a Front Range peak in CO and hear radio traffic from a city on I-25. If there's a chance you may lose line of sight (rock climbing/scrambling), leave camp, or "divide and conquer" scouting routes, bring 'em. For simple echo-location of "where you at?" I simply shout "MARRRRR-COOOO!" and await a 'polo.' :mrgreen:

Leaving Your Partner: While in general it's good not to do, it 'can' be very useful besides "Lassie, go get help!" This is where DISCUSSION, a plan, and comms (including making marks in the snow), come in handy. I'm sure many of you have at least "I'll go ahead and warm up the car (heater)" before. Example: Skinning to a hut, partner is slower and it's getting late. Walkies on, I go ahead. Walkie that I see what I think is the pass (and thus the cabin location just over), and we agree for me to go ahead to get there before sunset/dark, get the stove (fire, warmth) going, and head back if partner not there in an hour. Well, it was more than an hour, but around that time I'd hiked back to the pass for line of sight (radio) to the side we were coming up, and partner said slow but fine, so added an hour. I couldn't have sped them up, and they were quite happy to arrive to a warm cabin and hot water ready for drinks (cider, coffee, cocoa, ...), AND that I had made introductions with neighbors offering to have them over for drinks, who in turn invited us over for dinner (group of 12, sleds, LOTS of food they didn't want to pack out). So... not only did I have a fire and water, but also "dinner reservations." Worst case, they could have doubled as a search party, turned into a lot of drinking game fun and food.

10 Codes: If the Spot/InReach is more for SWMBO (worry wart back home), consider using 10 Code shorthand for some messages and own short hand like "Murphy" for 'situation screwed up, but sorting through it, expect delay', or "batt5" for 'battery at 5% so will likely lose comms -- don't worry if radio silence.'
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blog ... d-10-codes

Weight, Complexity, Brain Atrophy: It's easy to add 5lbs of weight in electric gear. Conversely, you don't want to go Stupid Light (Ultra to a deficit) nor be foiled for lack of a cable. Likewise the brain is a muscle and "oh, there's an app for that" has (de-)conditioned some to only being able to follow, not lead. There is so much forefather knowledge un-accessed by those in the backcountry from knowing the stars and constellations (minimum Big/Little Dippers for North Star), to animal tracks, to sign-cutting (tracking, foot traffic evidence) that one "could" access if preloaded or shared all the while keeping your head up versus glued to a screen has you walk into a tree.

Orienteering: Good sport, great tactics, and very applicable to gaining and honing BC nav' skills.

FWIW, I've had "tech" let me down more than once where "between the ears" did not. For example, winter weather/storm arriving hours ahead of forecast while descending hours later than planned and trail filling in during a whiteout in the dark above treeline. GPS (to follow trail under snow) dying from cold, couldn't find backup AAs (they were there, but cold fingers, blowing snow, etc.), dropping temps and more wind, yet knew the lay of the land. So I led me and my partner off the traversing trail straight down slope through snow, to and thru treeline until we intercepted the trail (hallway in the trees) coming back the other way. Just getting to the trees made things easier even if a steeper descent than the trail, while also acting as a terrain anchor for any lingering avy concerns, and with the wind howling overhead versus in your face, it was arguably fun even if Type II.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:01 am

Hi John,
I use a number of different devices and applications for forestry fieldwork and backcountry touring.

(I am going to spare you a lecture on brain technology and analog navigation technology;))

What I take every time I am touring in the Northwoods-
- Garmin GPSMAP 66sr
- Garmin inReach Mini2
- mobile phone
- battery pack

I BT-connect both the 66sr and the Mini2 to my phone-
- use my mobile phone as the primary messaging, mapping and digital navigation device.
(and yes- I do always have a compass and map)

The 66sr has multi-band GNSS functionality- the reliablity and positonal accuracy is simply amazing (i.e. as good or better than $3000 differential GPS units I used just 10 years ago!)

Garmin's new Messenger app is excellent- offering seamless messaging- defaulting to a mobile network whenever available- using inReach only when necesary.

I severely restrict the use of my phone if I know I am going to need it for multiple days on pure battery power.
You can also fully operate the Mini2 using the 66sr ("inReach Remote")- taking advantage of the larger screen and more functional buttons of the 66.

Garmin has a new model- GPSMAP 67- that is a significant upgrade to the 66 that combines the multi-GNSS accuracy and mapping with all of the functions of the current Mini2/Messenger devices.
The Mini2, and the new Messenger device, probably still have longer battery life than the 67 in extreme applications.
Aside from risk management applications-
the practical advantages of being able to communicate where you are- where you are going- and when- is a game changer in my experience.

I am constantly changing my route plans.
I also do a lot of ski-thru tours, where I leave my car behind and have someone pick me up at the end of my tur- able to communicate where, and when I need a pickup! Game changer!

I ski tur alone more often than not.
I am always prepared to hunker down and spend at least 48hrs out there-
but, being able to effectively communicate from the backcountry opens so much more adventure!
Last edited by lilcliffy on Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:40 am

@lilcliffy Gareth, you mention 3 devises, if you had to choose just one, what would it be?

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:28 pm

What I settled on:

Garmin eTrex 32. I can use it with mittens on, runs off of Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries that work well at -20°C, has a special screen that works in sunlight. Other nice but not essential features: built-in compass is handy, reliable track recording, useful dashboard statistics (average travel and moving time, estimated time to waypoint, sunset time, etc.). The maps it comes with are surprisingly nice and detailed, and you can load your own.

rescueME PLB 1. 116g PLB with a 7-year battery. No need for subscriptions or charging. See the following article about filing trip plans:

https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/ ... save-lives

OsmAnd for fully offline maps and fully offline routing and directions (!) on the phone. OpenStreetMap data is pretty good when it comes to trails.

Note that devices like the inReach and SPOT are not PLBs, nor do they have any other kind of radio beacon. They are unregulated satellite messengers on either Iridium or GlobalStar constellations, with built-in GPS receivers, and all of them currently go through Garmin's GEOS rescue coordination center (which usually just passes your information onto whatever government agency actually carries out the rescues). PLBs are radio beacons (most modern ones also include GPS receivers) that work on the COSPAS-SARSAT network:

https://cospas-sarsat.int/en/