Weigh In

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.

End of Season Weigh In

0 to 18.4
No votes
18.5 to 24.9
64%
25 to 29.9
29%
30 and up
7%

Total votes: 14

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: Weigh In

Post by mca80 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:28 am

My mistake, but I used to be closer to 150 and still didn't have much fat to grab. So, which is more useful, bmi or windchill??? :lol:

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:46 am

mca80 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:28 am
My mistake, but I used to be closer to 150 and still didn't have much fat to grab. So, which is more useful, bmi or windchill??? :lol:
So you lost 12 lbs of fat? Maintained the same muscle mass? That’s impressive. Fat can’t perform work. Muscle can. Must have impacted skiing. Endurance, power, movement.
Go Ski

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:04 pm

BMI riles me up because while it may be relevant to the sedentary masses, it is completely irrelevant to athletes. ever seen a pic or vid of Kilde doing a gym workout? that dude is built like a brick shithouse. no way his BMI is under 30 and he just won the WC alpine overall. every single lineman in the NFL would be classed as "morbidly obese" and some of these guys can run a sub 5 sec 40....and they do it over and over and over in a 4hr game. maintaining my racing weight takes full time focus...but it also keeps me healthy: whole foods only, nothing processed, so sugary drinks etc. I do have a massive sweet tooth which sometimes wins. but I look around sometimes at my work colleagues who "look and act their age" and I don't want to be like them.

Manney

Post by Manney » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:44 pm

It’s highly relevant to athletes. Find a linebacker at bmi 20. A bmi 30 ultramarathoner.

Studies on DH and XC end up in different places for a reason. DH favors higher bmi. Speed events (super-G) usually include skiers at the high end of bmi norms. It’s the gate spacing, vertical drop and energy of a heavier skier. Those same skiers wouldn’t do as well on slalom. Too technical. Control of weight on tighter gate spacing and all that. Lighter skier event.

https://www.scirp.org/pdf/aa_2017051014202917.pdf

It’s one index. One. Indicates potential and limitations. Doesn’t determine it.
Go Ski

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:23 pm

I maintain that BMI is only useful as a generic parameter for the sedentary masses.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:50 pm

I would say it's not much use for anyone. Some people are just more stoutly built and can have very low body fat and a high BMI. It is not only the tall willowy endurance athlete types that are in shape. Just to see it listed on my chart from my healthcare organization makes me shake my head and question why I'm even there. And that's before I see the bill :shock:

Not impressed

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:10 pm

Ok @Manney BMI could be used in the fashion you mentioned to match different body types for different activities. Not on it's own though, you would need many other baseline fitness metrics established for the athletes to make BMI useful as a relative comparison. Since BMI is just a ratio of height to weight I'd argue it would be the least sophisticated info in this study easily surmised by eye.

Manney

Post by Manney » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:42 pm

Height and or weight inform ski sizing charts. Length and width. Camber stiffness in some cases. Not BC skis. Track skis though. Not the final word but height and weight narrows things down to ~1 or 2 skis per model. Asnes lists height and weight for each ski length. Look at the Gamme chart. Use the mid point weight and height. This is the bmi the seem to be focused on.

170mm 26 (full range is something like 23 to 27)
180mm 25
190mm 25
200mm 26
210mm 26

Tight range. Most buy off the charts. Most stores sell off the charts. So bmi is sort of a factor. Only to a point if your weight is low enough to moving up the chart. Ski companies not focused on linebackers or fence posts. They have a type in mind. Plus a factor for gear weight. Start running out of ski at 220# regardless of height.
Go Ski

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm

Manney wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:42 pm
Height and or weight inform ski sizing charts. Length and width. Camber stiffness in some cases. Not BC skis. Track skis though. Not the final word but height and weight narrows things down to ~1 or 2 skis per model. Asnes lists height and weight for each ski length. Look at the Gamme chart. Use the mid point weight and height. This is the bmi the seem to be focused on.

170mm 26 (full range is something like 23 to 27)
180mm 25
190mm 25
200mm 26
210mm 26

Tight range. Most buy off the charts. Most stores sell off the charts. So bmi is sort of a factor. Only to a point if your weight is low enough to moving up the chart. Ski companies not focused on linebackers or fence posts. They have a type in mind. Plus a factor for gear weight. Start running out of ski at 220# regardless of height.
Which makes it easier for me at 240 lb wo gear, I just buy the longest skis available for any given model :lol:. follow the trend and I would need 230cm gammes...

Manney

Post by Manney » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:26 pm

An excuse to get a set of long skis the Finns use. Serious looking. :D
Go Ski