Scarpa NTN - binding release problems

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jfalabella

Scarpa NTN - binding release problems

Post by jfalabella » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:29 am

I have been using my Scarpa TX Pro (28) with the large size 22D Lynx bindings for quite some time. Recently, I have had my left ski come off prematurely 5x now. Always the left ski. I randomly put my skis on so, chances are, my left side is releasing from both skis. I have checked the usual culprits each time - snowpack under the plate, snowpack in the groove under the boot. I have visually inspected the bottom of the boot and the bindings and can't seem to find any significant difference. I think this is my fifth season with these boots so they are fairly beaten. I probably ski 50 days a year. Thoughts? Similar experiences? Things to try? THANKS.
IMG_5694.jpeg
IMG_5691.jpeg
IMG_5692.jpeg
IMG_5693.jpeg

Luddy77
Ski style: Offtrack bushwacking and exploring

Re: Scarpa NTN - binding release problems

Post by Luddy77 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:32 pm

How many spacers do you have on your Lynx springs? Its normal to have to add spacers as the springs relax over time and possibly one of your boots is just a millimeter smaller than the other causing just one binding to prerelease.

dnt_upton

Re: Scarpa NTN - binding release problems

Post by dnt_upton » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:24 pm

I can't explain that, but one comment that applies to all tech toe bindings -- after you click into the toes but before you step down to engage the claw (or heel for AT people), you should glide the ski back and forth so that the pins rotate around inside the cups. They are designed to clear out snow/ice.

What year Lynx? They beefed up the toes in the 2021-22 version, so if you're on an earlier version, I'd write to 22D, explain the issue, and see if they'll cut you a deal on exchanging for a newer version.

Good luck.