Lubricating pins on Rottefella Xplore system boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Lubricating pins on Rottefella Xplore system boots

Post by CwmRaider » Tue May 30, 2023 9:04 am

Pretty self explanatory video:

"The grease lubricates and maintains the SpringPin mechanism. Essential for easy entry and exit of the Rottefella Xplore binding. We recommend you maintain your SpringPin every season"

TallGrass

Re: Lubricating pins on Rottefella Xplore system boots

Post by TallGrass » Tue May 30, 2023 9:11 am

CwmRaider wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:04 am
Pretty self explanatory video:
"The grease lubricates and maintains the SpringPin mechanism. Essential for easy entry and exit of the Rottefella Xplore binding. We recommend you maintain your SpringPin every season"
For those who are married, consider putting something between the boot and the carpet.

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Tue May 30, 2023 12:07 pm

TallGrass wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:11 am
For those who are married, consider putting something between the boot and the carpet.
The mother-in-law?

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Tue May 30, 2023 1:51 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 12:07 pm
TallGrass wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:11 am
The mother-in-law?
Wouldn't it be better to use something that doesn't make noise when you apply boot-pressure?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue May 30, 2023 4:26 pm

I wonder if this maintenance step was conceived during the initial product development, or in response to reported problems with pins sticking?
And if this was this Rottefella’s “fix” for stuck pins?

And, wouldn’t it be nice if a maintenance kit was included with the Xplore boots?

Just idle curiosity…

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Tue May 30, 2023 6:01 pm

Probably an afterthought.

Agree. Should come with boots.

Was prepared to DIY in the autumn using a mini greaser. Grease tube screws in the bottom… plunger activated. Just need to choose the right synthetic grease.
IMG_9014.jpeg
Go Ski

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Tue May 30, 2023 6:11 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:26 pm
I wonder if this maintenance step was conceived during the initial product development........
I think not, as the video has appeared just recently. Also, I don’t recall seeing the product “Rottefella Xplore Grease” on previous visits to the Rottefella website and there’s no mention of this at all on the Alfa website under “Maintenance Guides/Kits”. It seems reasonable to suspect that it’s a reaction by Rottefella to complaints about sticky pins.

How about this: “The SpringPin mechanism requires maintenance at the beginning of every season. If the system is used in humid conditions more frequent maintenance is required”………………so take the grease with you if you go skiing in the rainforest!

Winter is not just cold and dry. If you’re out skiing in fog (who hasn’t been?) then the air is humid. Why would you have to grease more in humid conditions?.....to prevent rust, or what?

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Tue May 30, 2023 6:51 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:11 pm
It seems reasonable to suspect that it’s a reaction by Rottefella to complaints about sticky pins.
The three main things I think of that can cause stiction are: Corrosion (rust), water (frozen), and dirt/debris.

Greases generally are used as a barrier for all three, chemical reaction barrier for the first (oxidation and or 'cold welding') and physical barrier for the latter two. In some cases the barrier property is even more important than reducing any friction.

My hunch is it's a silicone grease versus a lithium, petro' or moly' flavor, especially if he's doing it on carpet.

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue May 30, 2023 7:01 pm

Definitely petro or moly for the carpet. Anti seize compound (metal Lube on steroids) is best for favorite items of clothing and fine linens.
Go Ski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue May 30, 2023 11:34 pm

One last, somewhat rhetorical question:

So, if my pins hang up in the housing, and I have not done the recommended maintenance, is this now entirely my problem, and not any sort of warranty issue?

Prefer to not be cynical, but…
It seems like Rottefella have done a good job of transferring responsibility to the end-use.