Boots size

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mivi

Boots size

Post by mivi » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:31 pm

Hello, first of all thank you for accepting me to this nice forum.
I know this issue was previously discussed but anyway I'm looking for some advice.
I'm looking for boots - for 3pin 75mm bindings.
I'm not alpine skiing person so it's mainly for off trail more or less flat surface (as snowshoes alternative let's say)
The first thought was to get USGI skis, but then I started to search for wooden skis as I used in the past.
Bottom line - I suppose to get Asnes fjellski this weekend,I would like shorter, but think 200cm are OK too -
I'm 75Kg, 176cm, so adding some gear etc it should be good.
The question is the boots. Looking for surplus Alico ski march boots.
How is the size? I would like to use with thick wool socks.
My foot is 28.5-29cm, wide. Looking on some 12.5UK - if these are tooo big?
Found few very controversial opinions - from proper fit to to way too small for the size...
Thank you in advance

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Re: Boots size

Post by Krummholz » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:41 pm

The Mil surplus are in British sizing. Their size 9 is a US 10 and is a euro 43. It is a very stiff boot prone to heel blisters if the fit is not perfect and time is taken to properly break in the boot first. Or you can just buy a softer boot in a euro size that will break in quicker, be better for kick and glide. https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com still has 3 pin boots on sale.
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

timpete

Post by timpete » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:01 am

I recently purchased the Alico Ski March from Telemark Pyrenees. I gather from others on this forum that these are not identical (?) to the UK surplus Alico Ski March boots.

Anyways, for the ones I bought, I purchased a size 42 - I wear a tennis shoe size US 9, sometimes 8.5 in US boot sizes (for boots that fit large). The 42 EU Alicos fit properly - these are fairly high volume boots, so I can fit a hefty wool sock and some added insoles. You will want some insoles for these boots, and thick socks, to take up some foot volume, but if you do that I'm happy with them.

They seem bulletproof - I like the cinch strap. The soles are very stiff.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:41 pm

The surplus Ski March with welted sole is a stiff, tough boot. I had a pair new from ebay which had quality issues - glue failed and soles delaminated on the first trip - perhaps from long storage in poor conditions. They were impressive otherwise, but far from the lightest option.
I think that that boot is most suitable for tours where the extra stability is worth the extra grams, IE in challenging terrain, or when budget is tight as they cost the same as a few beers in the pub.
Here is a thread discussing that surplus welted Ski March in much detail.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1412

mivi

Post by mivi » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:47 pm

Thank you all for the info.
Yes, I'm on a budget and I like surplus stuff. Mea culpa.
I received my boots today.
Ordered from ArmyWorld.pl - this is the only place I found that has different sizes.
They do not ship to Canada from web store but do assist to arrange pick up by carrier from their physical store.
I used UPS expedited - 9 days from printed label to my doorstep.
I have to say very helpful people, good communication, prepared my order, and provided all shipping information very fast.
They also gave me some info about sizing - UK sizes and the additional letters: M- for standard foot, N- narrow, B- wide.
I use Aku boots size 10.5 US with medium socks and thick surplus wool socks are tight, so I ordered half size up - 10.5B UK because I have a wide feet.
1. Brand new, looks solid old school, all tags etc, no additional felt insoles but spare laces and maintenance instruction(!).
2. They are wide.
3. Some glue/sealing spots but who cares?
4. Insole - 29.5 cm or 11.5" the reverse says "45".
5. Toe and heel are stiff, the rest is stiff but not terrible.
Had a stiffer boots during my service and break these during the boot camp was not a joy.
6. Fits perfectly in old 3 pin Rottefella.
7. A lot of space inside even with thick wool socks. I like it, but may be will add felt insoles later.
I uploaded some pictures - hope all this may be useful for somebody.
20230629_164728.jpg
20230629_164712.jpg
20230629_163610.jpg
20230629_163344.jpg
20230629_163332.jpg
20230629_162753.jpg
20230629_162727.jpg
20230629_162610.jpg
20230629_162542.jpg