What boots to buy??

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Love the Sierra
Ski style: BC Touring

What boots to buy??

Post by Love the Sierra » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:26 am

Hi my new friends.
Admins, please forgive me and delete if this post is redundant or in the wrong place, I am new to the group. I have seen bits a pieces of reviews on various 75mm boots in the group and that is what brought me here. However, I still have questions, please.

I have Fischer Sbound 88 skis and 3 pin 75mm bindings. I have been skiing and skijoring the past few years with Fisher BCX6 leather boots. This set up was recommended by the XC instructor who taught us most of what we know and took us out for long full day tours in the Sierra backcountry. Unfortunately she has moved and we are without instruction now so I need help deciding on new boots. In the past couple of years. My toes are getting squashed and every June or July, (hence the conversation now.) a toenail or two begins to come off. I lived for the past two winters with sore toes all season. However, the boots are fine to walk in and I am tying them correctly. So, I figure, they are shot.I skin up a lot and usually kick turn or side step down. I would love a bit more control on the downhills. I often walk a mile or more on dry trail to get to snow. Here are my questions:

1) After many years of skiing but, unfortunately not THAT many miles, do sudden squished toes mean the soles Ah e worn out and gotten soft or is it me and my feet?
2) Got Scarpa t4 but WOW are they stiff!! Do they loosen up? Right now, I could not walk a mile in them.
3) Are the Scarpa T4 too much boot for my Fischer 88 s bound skis?
4) Is my problem that my old boots are just old and new Fischer BCX6 will give me enough stiffness? It is hard for me to answer because when I got them, I was a beginner and now I am solid intermediate and tackle moe difficult, rolling terrain.
5) Should I try the Fischer BCX transnordic? From waht I was in this group, it sounds like they are even stiffer than the Scarpa t4 so that may worse for me.
6) so this is a really dumb one, but Scarpa customer service will not answer their phone. How do you EASILY open and close the back clip for walking and downhill? I need two hands and all my strength. Obviously, I do not want to have to deal with that out in the backcountry so it seems like there must be an easy trick to use with gloves on.

Thank you all!!

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Re: What boots to buy??

Post by Manney » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:50 am

Squished toes mean that the boots didn’t fit well in the first place. Cracked sole, separation, etc. means the boot has worn out.

Never trust anyone’s views on the best boot for you. Let your feet be the judge. Gotta try them on, bend your toes, tuck, reach, lean, sway etc. Walking test isn’t a good one because of heel strike and roll. Not a skiing movement.

As for type of boots, depends on the type of skiing. See a lot of ppl buying more boot and ski than they use. Just adds weight and inflexibility. Ppl believe the bullshit marketing hype about “power”. LOL. Ski shops love the higher price points and margins. Fashionistas love showing off their cool gear at the trailhead or chalet. None of these ppl are skiers. They are ppl who ski. There’s a difference. Social commentary off…

BCX to T4 is a big step. Totally different type of skiing for each boot. So if you haven’t changed things up and don’t feel massively let down by the old BCX, other than in the comfort department, then a soft boot that fits better may be fine. If the incline is growing and your ankles are blowing out, then a plastic boot might be the answer. They offer a lot of stiffness in one plane of motion… but that comes at a cost in other areas.

Lots of boots in the middle ground between BCX and T4… try on as many as you can.

But don’t let anyone tell you what boot to buy. What to try? Sure. But not what to buy.

Listen to your feet and look at your needs objectively. If you want to know about durability, level of water resistance, discounts etc., forum opinions can be useful for that kind of stuff.
Go Ski

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:58 pm

Love the Sierra wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:26 am
Hi my new friends.
Admins, please forgive me and delete if this post is redundant or in the wrong place, I am new to the group.
All good- you are posting in the correct forum.
I have seen bits a pieces of reviews on various 75mm boots in the group and that is what brought me here. However, I still have questions, please.

I have Fischer Sbound 88 skis and 3 pin 75mm bindings. I have been skiing and skijoring the past few years with Fisher BCX6 leather boots. This set up was recommended by the XC instructor who taught us most of what we know and took us out for long full day tours in the Sierra backcountry. Unfortunately she has moved and we are without instruction now so I need help deciding on new boots. In the past couple of years. My toes are getting squashed and every June or July, (hence the conversation now.) a toenail or two begins to come off. I lived for the past two winters with sore toes all season. However, the boots are fine to walk in and I am tying them correctly. So, I figure, they are shot.
You are doing the right thing replacing these boots- or at least stopping your feet-toes from being crushed. You can cause some serious damage from this that can take a long time to fully heal.

Fischer BC Nordic touring boots are made with very low-quality materials that are difficult if not impossible to maintain and shape. My Fischer BCX6 boots formed a crease in the cheap "leather" that I simply could not manipulate and they crushed my metatarsus- BAD- and it got worse as the boot broke in. I tried a number of insole combinations and attempted to train the boot and adjust the crease- no luck. I had to stop using them. (BTW- the current Fischer "leather" is cheap painted leather that cannot be properly conditioned and maintained. I didn't even bother trying with the new Fischer Transnordic- I sold them almost new.)

Do these boots fit you properly in terms of length? Width? Volume?
Have you tried a thicker insole to take up some boot volume?
1) After many years of skiing but, unfortunately not THAT many miles, do sudden squished toes mean the soles Ah e worn out and gotten soft or is it me and my feet?
Hmmm...Hard to judge from here if the boot is worn out... Could be a result of how they have broken in and formed a crease...
As far as your personal feet- have you had this sort of problem before with other boots?
Do you do a significant amount of walking/hiking otherwise? What boots/shoes do you use?
2) Got Scarpa t4 but WOW are they stiff!! Do they loosen up? Right now, I could not walk a mile in them.
Yes! Plastic Tele touring boot- totally different boot vs your Fischer Nordic touring boot! No- they do not get softer in my limited experience.
3) Are the Scarpa T4 too much boot for my Fischer 88 s bound skis?
No- just don't expect them to ever feel like a Nordic touring boot.
The T4 is stiff enough that you can drive that ski downhill to its limit- the T4 is stiff enough for that ski to bend and twist all over the place.
However- for the skiing you describe- you may never take that ski to its downhill carving limits...
Vs your Fischer Nordic touring boot- you will definitely be able to drive the Fischer 88 with the T4.
If you end up really liking the T4- you may end up wanting to add a more downhill-tuned ski to your quiver.
4) Is my problem that my old boots are just old and new Fischer BCX6 will give me enough stiffness? It is hard for me to answer because when I got them, I was a beginner and now I am solid intermediate and tackle moe difficult, rolling terrain.
5) Should I try the Fischer BCX transnordic? From waht I was in this group, it sounds like they are even stiffer than the Scarpa t4 so that may worse for me.
The Transnordic is not as stiff as the T4- nowhere near.
The Transnordic is significantly stiffer (laterally) than the BCX6 .
The Transnordic does not have the free XC flex of the BCX6- but it is definitely stiffer and offers more stabilty than the BCX6.
Personally, I did not like the Transnordic- at all. For all of that lateral stiffness, I might as well use my T4...
And- the Transnordic crushed my foot right out of the box. I would have had to spend considerable time and effort to get the Transnordic to work for my foot. For me, it wasn't worth the effort- and I didn't like the flex- and the construction and quality of materials is very poor IMO.
HOWEVER- many skiers seem to love the Transnordic!
For reference my feet are:
- medium width
- low volume
- narrow heel and ankle
- relatively thick muscular calf
6) so this is a really dumb one, but Scarpa customer service will not answer their phone. How do you EASILY open and close the back clip for walking and downhill? I need two hands and all my strength. Obviously, I do not want to have to deal with that out in the backcountry so it seems like there must be an easy trick to use with gloves on.
Huh- not a dumb question- but, not an issue I have...
(BTW- I do not own the current model T4- mine is older)
I tend to leave mine in "walk" mode when I am touring here in my low vertical hills...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:43 pm

Love the Sierra wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:26 am

How do you EASILY open and close the back clip for walking and downhill? I need two hands and all my strength. Obviously, I do not want to have to deal with that out in the backcountry so it seems like there must be an easy trick to use with gloves on.

Thank you all!!
To change the boot from the walk mode to the downhill mode, you need to push the top section of the boot forward. The best way to do is to do a semi squat, so that your shin pushes on the top of the boot and that will open up the gap at the rear of the boot. Once the gap is opened, the lever should be easy to flip.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:56 pm

You might consider trying out a full grain leather nordic boot, like the famous and revered-by-many Alico Ski March boot, or a similar model, with Norwegian welted soles. This style of Nordic boot is laterally stiffer and much more supportive than your old Fischers, but is much more durable, has a normal nordic flex, is MUCH more comfortable for walking than any plastic boot ever made, and finally, would be a very compatible match with those 88's.
There are currently similar boots on the market made by other companies than Alico, all with different fit profiles; you might want to search this site for info on them and so on.
Last edited by fgd135 on Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:38 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:56 pm
You might consider trying out a full grain leather nordic boot, like the famous and revered-by-many Alico Ski March boot, or a similar model, with Norwegian welted soles. This style of Nordic boot is laterally stiffer and much more supportive than the old Fischers, but are much more durable, have a normal nordic flex, are more comfortable for walking than any plastic boot ever made, and finally, would be a very compatible match with those 88's.
There are current similar boots made by other companies than Alico, all with different fit profiles; you might want to search this site for info on them and so on.
To OP keep in mind if buying Alico Ski March on ebay they're listed in British size which is 1 less than USA. So US I use 8 or 7.5 but ordered 7. I haven't skiied them yet but just wearing them in the cabin they're way more comfortable than plastic with probably a little sacrifice in stiffness/downhill performance but not much. I also got a pair of Crispi Bre (eu 40) which fits like a glove and will definitely be a great xc boot but require finesse and technique on DH due to its flexibility/lack of lateral stiffness. Really best XC welted boot being made, just good construction if not the stiffness needed for steeper downhills.

That said, it all depends on how the particular boot fits you. Took me several boots and insert combinations before I found the best hiking boot for me (Asolo, Alico, Merrel, Danner, and a variety of inserts finally settling on Birkenstock 3/4 length).

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:07 pm

The suggestions/recommendations for the Ski March boot are sound-

Note that there is not only the british sizing potential confusion-

pay VERY close attention to the width that you select when you order a Ski March boot-

this boot is made in multiple widths and it is a large-volume boot across the board.

I did not know this and ended up with a very wide last that I simply could not make work for my medium-width, low-volume foot.
An additional note- I will post in the Ski March review thread-

has anyone noticed that their Ski March boot has some sort of synthetic outer coating- over the leather?
I have personally found it almost impossible to condition- and therefore manipulate- the leather on my Ski March boots...
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1412
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Manney

Post by Manney » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:15 pm

Just me… but wouldn’t buy a boot online. Until real feet and real socks kiss leather, it’s all a gamble.
Go Ski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:51 am

Manney wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:15 pm
Just me… but wouldn’t buy a boot online. Until real feet and real socks kiss leather, it’s all a gamble.
I think I would have to drive 2 or 3 hours to try on anything other than Rossi or Alaskas, and even then it would be only a couple other makes/models. I've gotten lucky with semi-recent online purchases fitting well, and now I know what brands/sizes fit for hiking and skiing. Workboots I would like to try on Redwings but again that's a 2 hour drive.

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:55 pm

The thread pointed by @lilcliffy suggests that the arc of of happy—>irritated—>bailout happens after a year of trying to believe something might work, even when it doesn’t from the start.

Easy way around that by blocking out external voices, trying on the boots, and following what your feet say. Another way is to buy a season’s pass to the emotional rollercoaster of online shopping, free delivery, and Amazon returns.

Whatever suits…
Go Ski