XC Ski For Women

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
User avatar
TOmaTO
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by TOmaTO » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:37 pm


mca80
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:24 pm
Location: Da UP eh
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by mca80 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:54 pm

I don't see how any of this is relevant to bc skiing.



User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:59 pm

Great vid. Many thanks for posting.

Complex subject. Multiple formulations (and the vid was restricted to kick/grip wax).

The big take away for me was that the R&D process involves farming out samples in rather large quantities to teams trying to reach the podium. That, and multiple formulations… because there is no “one size fits all” product that has both optimal grip and optimal slip. Always trade offs.

Obviously, there’s also a trickle down element going on behind the scenes… how to bring price points down without losing too much performance for recreational skiers. Insofar as podium places are good for business, the recreational side of the market is the profit engine.

You can’t give away wax to teams without generating income at the recreational end. And for that revenue stream to work, the waxes have to offer something real.
Go Ski



User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:00 pm

mca80 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:54 pm
I don't see how any of this is relevant to bc skiing.
LOL. Seriously?

Let me know what you think about wax when your grip or glide surfaces ice up… or it’s a very cold day and you lose glide because your wax has been abraded away during a long ski.

Of course, for this to happen you need to be skiing… not walking on skis (this isn’t a snarky dig, but friction rises exponentially with speed and the harder you ski, the more critical the performance of wax becomes).
Go Ski



mca80
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:24 pm
Location: Da UP eh
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by mca80 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:54 pm

I don't actually ski. I only post on ski forums.



User avatar
Musk Ox
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 am
Location: North
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves
Occupation: Eating lichen, walking about

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Musk Ox » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:49 am

Manney wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:16 pm

The issue is choosing to use grip wax as a glide wax, which is unnecessary, unwise, uneconomical, and less effective than a purposely formulated glide wax.
In certain, specific, circumstances, many cross country skiers choose to put Swix Polar on the glide zones of their skis.

Because it works. Because it is a good decision.

This is the decision of more experienced and thoughtful skiers than you, Manney.

Please stop taking all the air out of this forum. Please stop spamming every single thread. Please listen.

I do not ski like you. I do not ski where you ski. I definitely pursue different pleasures to you on skis. All I hear from you is a suffocating orthodoxy at the top of your voice in every single thread. It's so tone deaf, so unfriendly, so off-putting.



User avatar
Jurassien
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue May 10, 2022 12:12 pm
Location: Switzerland
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Jurassien » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:27 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:49 am
[ All I hear from you is a suffocating orthodoxy at the top of your voice in every single thread. It's so tone deaf, so unfriendly, so off-putting.

One of my favourite XC ski-tours in the Jura skirts a small swamp which is fenced off to prevent livestock and humans from sinking into its murky depths. On the fence there is a warning sign which states: “DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS”. Firefighters know that one the best ways to deal with a fire is to starve it of oxygen.

Engagement is the oxygen which internet nuisances thrive on. They love it when someone responds to their provocations. Feeding the trolls is the best way to encourage them – and starving them of oxygen is an effective way to persuade them to move on to pastures new.

Making use of the ignore function, and then making sure to log in on every visit to the forum, will make the nuisances invisible – and what you can’t see you can no longer respond to. Those forum members who continue to engage with said nuisances are themselves partly to blame for the back-and-forth bickering.
wabene wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:32 pm
The ignore function only goes so far. You are still left with half of another ridiculous, forum wrecking thread. SMH
That’s because some honourable members, for reasons best known to themselves, have chosen not to make use of the ignore option and to continue to engage – thus ensuring a continuing supply of oxygen.

As for XC-skiing for women: Last year my mother-in-law decided to take up XC-skiing and set herself the goal of skiing 10km every day. I thought that was a great idea - In just two weeks she was 140km away.

I will now revert to my self-imposed “Deactivated” status.



User avatar
wabene
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:53 am
Location: Duluth Minnesota
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4
Occupation: Carpenter

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by wabene » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:55 am

^^👍



User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:00 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:49 am

In certain, specific, circumstances, many cross country skiers choose to put Swix Polar on the glide zones of their skis.

Because it works. Because it is a good decision.
What people “choose” to do bears no relation to good decision making. [Using nothing more then “because” to justify your position wouldn’t even make it past my 8 year old kid.]

Anyone who can’t find the right glide wax for conditions warmer than about -40 isn’t looking at the wax chart hard enough…
IMG_0141.png
… or maybe you’re incorrigibly lazy.
Musk Ox wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:44 pm
Personally I frequently just smooth out what I have on with a cork and put whatever I like on top before I set out because I'm incorrigibly lazy.
Ha ha
Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:49 am
All I hear from you is a suffocating orthodoxy at the top of your voice in every single thread.
When you say it like that, you sound like this guy…
IMG_0144.jpeg
Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:03 am
Or I use spray glide wax on tips and tails sometimes when I'm feeling fancy.
Yup… explains what’s in the can in the background.

It’s not the orthodoxy you hate. It’s being questioned. The funny thing is that you can’t even convince the person sitting across the breakfast table of the righteousness of your methods.
Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:03 am
My wife's not a Polar believer.
But when you’re reminded that wax companies don’t think this is a good idea either, you attack the messenger. Not the message. You can’t explain your approach on any rational basis, so you stick to your old ways of attacking the messenger. Say they’re hurting your groove or some such bullshit.

It’s that kind of thing that drives potential advertisers and manufacturers away from forums. Why would they spend the time and money? To have their products undermined by some lazy crank ranting about “orthodoxy”? LOL
Last edited by Manney on Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski



User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:07 pm

wabene wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:55 am
^^👍
Shouldn’t you be somewhere else?
IMG_0095.jpeg
Or is it more fun here… working out past grievances and perceived slights? Not posting “content”, baiting?
wabene wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:43 pm
:lol: that'll do! Work smarter not harder, Manney
Yep.
Go Ski



Post Reply