XC Ski For Women

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
User avatar
Musk Ox
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 am
Location: North
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves
Occupation: Eating lichen, walking about

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Musk Ox » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:40 pm

Manney wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:00 am
Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:49 am

In certain, specific, circumstances, many cross country skiers choose to put Swix Polar on the glide zones of their skis.

Because it works. Because it is a good decision.
What people “choose” to do bears no relation to good decision making. [Using nothing more then “because” to justify your position wouldn’t even make it past my 8 year old kid.]

Anyone who can’t find the right glide wax for conditions warmer than about -40 isn’t looking at the wax chart hard enough…

IMG_0141.png

… or maybe you’re incorrigibly lazy.
Musk Ox wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:44 pm
Personally I frequently just smooth out what I have on with a cork and put whatever I like on top before I set out because I'm incorrigibly lazy.
Ha ha
Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:49 am
All I hear from you is a suffocating orthodoxy at the top of your voice in every single thread.
When you say it like that, you sound like this guy…

IMG_0144.jpeg
Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:03 am
Or I use spray glide wax on tips and tails sometimes when I'm feeling fancy.
Yup… explains what’s in the can in the background.

It’s not the orthodoxy you hate. It’s being questioned. The funny thing is that you can’t even convince the person sitting across the breakfast table of the righteousness of your methods.
Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:03 am
My wife's not a Polar believer.
But when you’re reminded that wax companies don’t think this is a good idea either, you attack the messenger. Not the message. You can’t explain your approach on any rational basis, so you stick to your old ways of attacking the messenger. Say they’re hurting your groove or some such bullshit.

It’s that kind of thing that drives potential advertisers and manufacturers away from forums. Why would they spend the time and money? To have their products undermined by some lazy crank ranting about “orthodoxy”? LOL
Meanwhile, in the real world, skiers continue to use Swix Polar on the glide zones of their skis, because in certain snow conditions it's a perfectly valid option.

You are killing the community here, and I'm begging you to stop.

User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:43 pm

Uh huh.

Yeah, this is your personal safe space now? Only you get to offer a pov? Or just the ppl you like? Lame.

The problem is that you have nothing to back your position. Wax companies hold a different view. So do wax techs. Heck, your wife doesn’t even agree with you.

You can change all that. Post a link from Swix stating that polar grip wax is appropriate to use as a glide wax. Because your argument is with them, not me. Just passing along a message that you have a hard time accepting.

Killing the community? Ha ha. That’s a good one, after initiating and posting more “real content”, data etc. in the past two months than you have in the past two years.

Angering cranks tho? Guilty as charged. Not my intent. It’s just what happens when a fresh breeze of sanity enters a stale echo chamber.

Do you want to know what kills the community? Unfounded advice. Why? Ppl waste their money, waste their energy, end up thinking it’s “them”. Give up, drop out, quit the sport. That’s what really kills a small community.

And advertisers? They stay away from echo chambers like kryptonite. Why? Because they know that they’re only one post away at any time from riling up the “animals” at the zoo.

Any time a discussion pops up about any kind of performance skiing… aggressive tele on light gear, ski marathons, etc., the wet blanket brigade moves in to bring things down to their level. That brigade is shrinking though… and new people are joining.

Soon, maybe a ski company or two will overtly participate. Asnes used to do that but faded away long before my arrival.

Why do you suppose that happened?
Go Ski



User avatar
Musk Ox
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 am
Location: North
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves
Occupation: Eating lichen, walking about

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Musk Ox » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:35 pm

You are killing this community.

If you want to be the 'performance skiing' guy on the forum who's all about "aggressive tele on light gear" – awesome, if that's your bag, cool, there's room for you here. We could totally do with more people into "aggressive tele with light gear."

There's room for everyone.

But you're condescending, unnecessarily aggressive, and completely uninterested in engaging with skiers who are far more experienced and thoughtful than either of us will ever be.

You're talking at the top of your voice in every thread to people who are repeatedly asking you to stop.

You sound (forgive me) like you'd be the most insufferable cunt on a trip into the hills, criticising my choice of snacks, the angle of my elbows, and my repeatedly stopping to look at the view.

Incidentally, out of the two of us, I'm the only one who's actually worked for both Swix and Åsnes.

And this May, up in the arctic, I put Swix Polar on the bases of my Åsnes Nansens, and it was fucking awesome.



User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:50 pm

Yawn.
Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:35 pm
You sound (forgive me) like you'd be the most insufferable cunt on a trip into the hills, criticising my choice of snacks, the angle of my elbows, and my repeatedly stopping to look at the view.

And now you’re just making stuff up… chucking shit in the hope it will stick.

No wonder you’re using grip wax instead of glide wax. It all makes sense now. LOL

But this is where you started your commentary…
Musk Ox wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:21 am
Manney wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:50 pm

This whole grip wax nose to tail is the biggest bit of chat room stupidity going. It’s mostly done by ppl who don’t own an iron or are afraid to use it to lay down glide wax outside the grip zone.
To get back to this for a moment, tip-to-tail Swix Polar is a tried-and-tested method that has a perfectly valid use in actual snow on actual hills, and it would be nice if you could tone down your spectacular and unnecessarily aggressive confidence, maybe just until winter.
Personal and directed attack, right out of the box. So no need to play “who’s the bigger asshole”. You won that contest with your opening rant.
Last edited by Manney on Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski



User avatar
Stephen
Posts: 1465
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:49 am
Location: PNW USA
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
Occupation: Beyond
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Stephen » Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:57 pm

Manney wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:43 pm
Soon, maybe a ski company or two will overtly participate. Asnes used to do that but faded away long before my arrival.

Why do you suppose that happened?
IDK, maybe, being the wise and noble people they are, they sensed your impending arrival, and choose to leave Middle Earth before TSHTF?

This post has been certified as containing 0% oxygen.
Last edited by Stephen on Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
Musk Ox
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 am
Location: North
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves
Occupation: Eating lichen, walking about

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Musk Ox » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:00 pm

Manney wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:50 pm
Yawn.
Musk Ox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:35 pm
You sound (forgive me) like you'd be the most insufferable cunt on a trip into the hills, criticising my choice of snacks, the angle of my elbows, and my repeatedly stopping to look at the view.

And now you’re just making stuff up… chucking shit in the hope it will stick.

No wonder you’re using grip wax instead of glide wax. It all makes sense now. LOL
To be fair, it's a purely subjective opinion, you're absolutely right.

Having read all your posts, which read like you're annoyed at training some badly-coordinated students for the next World Cup in Alta rather than making conversation with a room full of ski nerds who actually have a lot in common with you, it is my purely subjective belief that going on a trip into the hills with you would be one of the most depressing fucking experiences of my life.
Last edited by Musk Ox on Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.



User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:00 pm

Well now you’re just guessing… you’ve never met me nor skied with me.

But you do hold some pretty strong subjective opinions, which explains the grip wax tirade.
Last edited by Manney on Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski



User avatar
Musk Ox
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 am
Location: North
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves
Occupation: Eating lichen, walking about

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Musk Ox » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:09 pm

Manney wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:00 pm
Well now you’re just guessing… you’ve never met me nor skied with me.
Long may this remain the case.



User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:22 pm

This has never been about YOUR prefs @Musk Ox. What you use is up to you.

This is about the right glide wax for the OP’s wife (where there was a strong preference for glide). For YOU that appears to be Polar Grip wax. You explained the reasons for this elsewhere (ahem… convenience (not your exact word, which was “lazy”).

Nobody is bashing your prefs (my original quote even said “most people”, it didn’t say YOU ffs. Nor did it say “everyone”.). You’re just filling in that blank with non-specific hand waving and vague commentary. Taking offence where none was directed. Why? Because my post was to the OP, in the context of getting optimal glide out of a ski.

Swix actually makes GLIDE WAX. They sell it in temperature ranges from -32 and colder (Polar Glide) to +10 (Yellow). And if you want colder than that, they have powders for that too which prevent abrasion. This isn’t a matter of opinion, but fact. It’s printed right on the package ffs.

And guess what? It’s actually formulated to, you know, glide really well. Just like every other ski wax company on the planet ffs. Gee… maybe that’s why the call it “glide wax”. Strange world, isn’t it?

We could get into a discussion about why this is the case. If you had read the University of Montana paper (link was posted), you’d understand why.

The thing is that you appear to know the difference on some cognitive level but would rather bluff your way out of your initial over reaction to justify a personal desire for “convenience” over glide.
Go Ski



User avatar
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am

Re: XC Ski For Women

Post by Manney » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:42 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:57 pm
Manney wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:43 pm
Soon, maybe a ski company or two will overtly participate. Asnes used to do that but faded away long before my arrival.
This post has been certified as containing 0% oxygen.[/b][/i]
The post is actually quote relevant. The OP was talking about buying skis… modding a binding. @Stephen didn't know the limitations of his bindings before he fell. People regularly say things like… “I wish ski company x would make that model with or without scales”. Now the discussion is wax.

What companies will hear your voices and respond if they’re not regular participants on the forum? What company will employ ppl to wade thru all the batshit crazy nonsense and explain what and why… when the method of feedback takes the form of personal attacks instead of rational conversation?

All this stuff is linked. Some of it is the reason why that tele is teetering… why gear availability is shrinking.

@Stephen jokingly suggests Asnes was clairvoyant. Ha ha. Funny. But they left the room for a reason that predates my arrival. They didn’t do this because it was against their interests. They had a REASON.

You may not care about that reason, but passionate ppl like Johnny probably do. Not because he’s greedy or anything like that… but because he understands that for this sport to continue it needs ALL of the ingredients to come together:

- A growing circle of enthusiastic skiers
- Ppl open to new ideas
- Fresh blood/the next generation of skiers
- An environment where knowledge is shared
- Recognition of the above by companies looking for new ideas, new customers, (and, yes, even wads of cash)
- Media attention, interested in a story worth telling outside an old folks home.

This isn’t a radical concept. This IS sports. This is how it works. It ALL has to connect in order to work.

So when ppl criticize real content or eschew knowledge (not personal opinion but links from reputable sources), they’re not scoring social media points. They’re setting the sport back.
Last edited by Manney on Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski



Post Reply