New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:19 am

https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/combat-nato-62-ski/
Similar dimensions as the Combat NATO but with tapered tips, Nordic rocker. A bit lighter. Different sizes to standard NATO.
Now more similar to a heavy duty Ingstad?

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Re: New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

Post by Manney » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:56 am

Deleted
Last edited by Manney on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:28 am

Deleted
Last edited by Manney on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Go Ski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:43 am

Does away with the feature that @lilcliffy liked most about the ski, its broad, stiff tip which made it a "trail-breaking machine." Glad I purchased an old model for this year.

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:52 am

Deleted
Last edited by Manney on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:42 pm

How much the Nordic rocker will impact the XC skiing depends a lot on how long and high it is, and how it Interacts with the camber. Perhaps it is done just right and I assume it will be abundantly tested by experts for the target use, terrain and snow conditions.
In any case I thought very highly of the last gen Combat NATO but I preferred Sverdrup as a jack of all trades ski for the type of outings I can do these days in my back yard. IMO the NATO was better for XC skiing in varying snow conditions, but my trips have more steep descents and switchbacks. YMMV.

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:13 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Manney on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Ski

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:24 pm

CwmRaider wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:42 pm
How much the Nordic rocker will impact the XC skiing depends a lot on how long and high it is, and how it Interacts with the camber. Perhaps it is done just right and I assume it will be abundantly tested by experts for the target use, terrain and snow conditions.
In any case I thought very highly of the last gen Combat NATO but I preferred Sverdrup as a jack of all trades ski for the type of outings I can do these days in my back yard. IMO the NATO was better for XC skiing in varying snow conditions, but my trips have more steep descents and switchbacks. YMMV.
Can’t say anything from experience from the NATO as I never skied it but if the rocker is similar to the Ingstad that would mean, from what I read about the NATO, a significant change. I love the Ingstad but in some circumstances I wished it had ;) less rocker. One of those circumstances being a hut to hut trip where I wished the Ingstad had less rocker and more skis actually on the snow for better grip in steep and narrow ascent with not much room to maneuver and a big load on my back (we bring too much booze in our trip :lol: ).

Will actually see how they ski but it would be sad if adding rocker was simply to follow a trend :? As for Åsnes, I read from a reliable source that they have been bought by an investment firm so that could impact how the company is run. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but the price of Åsnes skis have sky rocketed here in Québec. Don’t know if it is only from the retailer or a change a policy from the new Åsnes owner. I know about the inflation but the rise in price is way more…

Back to skis…and without the intention of derailing the thread just backing @CwmRaider comment on the Sverdrup. It has become my favourite skis over the last 2 winter in MY backyard conditions. We get a pretty good amount of snow but rarely big dump and we almost always get one or 2 episodes of crust so we rarely ski in deep snow. The Sverdrup tours very well and is quite good at dh when the conditions are not harsh. I must have used those for at least 80% of the time since I bought them.

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:06 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Manney on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:47 pm

Manney wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:06 pm
because stepping off of any brand’s boat is easy if you never get hooked on the fanboy bullshit that brands like to create.
Agree, but unfortunately, as of right now, there isn't an alternative to a lot of models Asnes makes--they really do occupy a very specific niche in skiing. Edgeless waxable skis for BC? Can't think of any besides them. Waxable no-rocker? Few options from others, especially when considering other factors like sidecut, stiffness, flex pattern, tip, etc. of skis like Amundsen, Nansen or old Combat Nato. If it weren't $70 to ship from Neptune now (vs $50 last year) I would consider a second pair of Kongsvolds just to put in storage, maybe in 170 vs 180, since they're on sale for $230 I believe. With some here praising the old europas and lamenting their being hard to find, it seems like getting an extra ski you love for a long term backup isn't a bad idea. Too bad the NATO is so expensive.