Why are americans fat?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

Re: Why are americans fat?

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:39 pm

I've written before about noticing a big drop-off in nordic skiers around Massachusetts over the last 10 years. Sad really, I feel sorry for people I see slow-shoeing, traveling 1/3rd or less my speed through the woods and hills.

Over the last week I've seen a lot of people out jogging, yet I'm alone in my XC tours through the beautiful spring sun and deep snow. I feel sorry for people running - nordic skiing is only about 10 times more fun, and you move much faster and efficiently. No cars to hit you and spew exhaust, etc. Not to mention pounding your knees into asphalt for an hour.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:07 pm

Cannatonic wrote:I've written before about noticing a big drop-off in nordic skiers around Massachusetts over the last 10 years. Sad really, I feel sorry for people I see slow-shoeing, traveling 1/3rd or less my speed through the woods and hills.

Over the last week I've seen a lot of people out jogging, yet I'm alone in my XC tours through the beautiful spring sun and deep snow. I feel sorry for people running - nordic skiing is only about 10 times more fun, and you move much faster and efficiently. No cars to hit you and spew exhaust, etc. Not to mention pounding your knees into asphalt for an hour.
Totally with you man. 8-)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Cannatonic wrote: Over the last week I've seen a lot of people out jogging, yet I'm alone in my XC tours through the beautiful spring sun and deep snow. I feel sorry for people running - nordic skiing is only about 10 times more fun, and you move much faster and efficiently. No cars to hit you and spew exhaust, etc. Not to mention pounding your knees into asphalt for an hour.
Hmmm - maybe those trail runners haven't made it your way yet... you won't feel sorry for them, you'll feel sorry for your trails.

Snowshoes are great for winter mountaineering here in the east. You really need crampons or microspikes too for when it's glare ice, but for most snow the snowshoe gives really decent grip up steep terrain.

It would be great if more people would ski but I'm fine as long they aren't barebooting. Snowshoes ruts are 1000x better than postholes!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 pm

don't get me wrong - I have two pairs of snowshoes and use them! I'm a snowboarder too and the board+snowshoes is basically what I use instead of an AT setup. Excellent for up & down with no approach. Absolutely for climbs snowshoes are great. But there aren't any climbs around here, just rolling hills for the most part.

Snowshoes can be had for cheap, and are better than sitting inside! No doubt about that.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Cool - I have a couple pairs too. It's great that you are getting the most out of your winter recreation!