Front skins with kicker skins instead of full length... anyone tried this?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Crayefish
Ski style: Pulk hauling and Alpine
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gammes
Favorite boots: Alfa Outbacks

Re: Front skins with kicker skins instead of full length... anyone tried this?

Post by Crayefish » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:29 am

Thanks.

Funnily enough, I'm hoping for some strong winds... part of the reason for chosing Hardangervidda rather than somewhere more interesting in the North, was getting more solo experience with high winds on an open plateau (e.g. tent setup, snow walls, etc). The more picturesque mountainous areas tend to have more shelter as I'd typically be in the valleys. My Sarek trips were great for cold (often below -35 at night) but aside from a couple of storms, I never had all that much wind.

But 3 weeks is enough time for the weather to swing wildly, so who knows how conditions will be by the end of Feb. I do have a penchant non-technical suffering, so hopefully the 'vidda will deliver.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:54 am

Crayefish wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:29 am
Thanks.

Funnily enough, I'm hoping for some strong winds... part of the reason for chosing Hardangervidda rather than somewhere more interesting in the North, was getting more solo experience with high winds on an open plateau (e.g. tent setup, snow walls, etc). The more picturesque mountainous areas tend to have more shelter as I'd typically be in the valleys. My Sarek trips were great for cold (often below -35 at night) but aside from a couple of storms, I never had all that much wind.

But 3 weeks is enough time for the weather to swing wildly, so who knows how conditions will be by the end of Feb. I do have a penchant non-technical suffering, so hopefully the 'vidda will deliver.
That is true of the moutains in Swedish Lapland because it they iare protected from a lot of north Atlantic weather by the Norwegian mountains and it is also sunnier (though I would not say sunny) for the same reason. The Narvik Mountains and the Mountains in Troms are also very windy and it is often channeled by narrow valleys.

The Hardangervidda is less of a plateau on the western side. And as we know there are no flat plateaus in Norway anyway except the Finnmarkvidda (mostly flat). There is also, as you know, often some "fun" tucked away between the contour lines!! Roald Amundsen almost perished on the Hardangervidda in his 20s- it made him go to school on things and get squared away- the rest is history.

I think the Hardangervidda is interesting, all of Norway is beautiful. Have fun!

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:23 pm

Crayefish wrote:
Thanks.

The weather forecast in Sarek right now is amazing! Sunny, sunny, sunny. Stable cold. Hardanger cloudy cloudy cloudy but also stable cold. But we take it as it comes!!

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:39 pm

They sell 3/4 length skins fairly commonly. So you can look at reviews for them. I think its economical more than anything.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:51 pm

@John Dee
Are you referring to a racing skin?
example: https://www.pomoca.com/skins/014-race-pro-2-0
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:47 am

Crayefish wrote:
Thanks.

I've done that kind of thing when I was younger – challenging Mother Nature to throw everything she could at me. She occasionally did just that, and I tend to treat her with a lot more respect now.

Being in a valley surrounded by mountains is no guarantee of shelter from wind. The most ferocious wind I have experienced in Norway was in the valley of Visdalen, right in between the country’s two highest mountains, namely Galdhøpiggen and Glittertinden. I was in bombproof accommodation in Spiterstulen and had to crawl on all fours from the main building to the sleeping quarters, but two young Norwegian ladies decided to tough it out nearby in a small tunnel tent. The tent was still standing when I set off the following morning, but I doubt if they got a decent night’s sleep.

If you really want to get your goolies blown off you might be better off choosing a destination at short notice – according to the forecasts on yr.no, for example: https://www.yr.no/nb/v%C3%A6rvarsel/dag ... %20stasjon (enter the locality in “Søk”). The Windy App https://www.windy.com/?47.310,8.527,5 is very good at showing the larger picture, as you can see things developing a long way off. It would also be wise to set up shop within a few hundred meters of an accessible cabin, of which there are several on Hardangervidda (and elsewhere) – both serviced and self-service. As you probably already know, wind speed in Norwegian forecasts is expressed in meters per second (m/s), so you should be very clear about how that relates to whichever system of measurement you’re used to.

I wish you a safe and enjoyable tour. I’ll be in Hardangervidda myself less than two weeks after you. If I hear about a Dutch guy and his tent being blown half-way to Sweden I’ll know who it was!

Crayefish
Ski style: Pulk hauling and Alpine
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gammes
Favorite boots: Alfa Outbacks

Post by Crayefish » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 am

One doesn't learn and improve when things are easy or going well. I'd rather be well versed with crap conditions in southern Norway than discover a deficiency somewhere significantly more remote, such as Greenland. I'll have no control over the weather regardless; I can only control my preparations and experience.

If you hear about a Dutch guy getting blown around Hardangervidda then it won't be me ;) However, it's if a Brit being kept awake at night due to the incessant flapping of his tunnel tent (my Keron is not conducive to good sleep in a storm), then that could well be me.

Enjoy your tour as well.

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:31 am

Crayefish wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 am
If you hear about a Dutch guy getting blown around Hardangervidda then it won't be me ;) However, it's if a Brit being kept awake at night due to the incessant flapping of his tunnel tent (my Keron is not conducive to good sleep in a storm), then that could well be me.

Ahh!.......and there was me thinking you’d learned your mountaincraft in the Dutch Mountains!

I wasn’t in any way discouraging you from your plans – merely suggesting you check the forecasts at short notice in case you might be disappointed in Hardangervidda, and also suggesting a safety net in case things turn out more extreme than you expected.

By the way, mobile coverage is poor in most parts of Hardangervidda. You can sometimes get reception by going off the marked route and ascending to a prominent elevation, but it’s often hit or miss. Another thing I forgot to mention is that you should ask in the serviced huts (if you pass any) to check in dyreposisjoner.no https://www.dyreposisjoner.no/Account/L ... urnUrl=%2F about the locations of the wild reindeer herds (the serviced huts have satellite connection and individual herd animals are tagged). Visitors should do what they can to avoid disturbing the herds, as that’s a sensitive topic at the moment and there are about to be some sweeping changes made with regard to access to the vidda because of this.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:26 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:51 pm
@John Dee
Are you referring to a racing skin?
example: https://www.pomoca.com/skins/014-race-pro-2-0
Nope. I went to a shop in 2022 for climbing skins, and one of the options was 3/4 front to back. I don't recall much else except they were dark orange color, and that they were a fairly common skin manufacturer that didn't make skis. The rep had nothing good to say about them.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:01 am

Crayefish wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 am
One doesn't learn and improve when things are easy or going well. I'd rather be well versed with crap conditions in southern Norway than discover a deficiency somewhere significantly more remote, such as Greenland. I'll have no control over the weather regardless; I can only control my preparations and experience.

Enjoy your tour as well.
Crayefish, a couple of years ago I was on a skitour between two cabins in Trollheimen when very strong winds came up. We didnt notice anything near the cabins but as soon as we climbed above the treeline it was crazy. I don't remember the peak windspeeds but we could neither stand nor see anything and had to backtrack. I realise you want to test yourself but strong winds are the most dangerous weather in the winter here. Southern Norway aint Greenland but people die here in the mountains as well. I hope you don't take my warning as patronizing, please take care.