What to mount on Voile V6

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

What to mount on Voile V6

Post by JohnSKepler » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:22 pm

I spent way too much on a NTN setup last year. TXPro boots, Meidjo, and Voile V6. I don't think I got any of it right. The boots make the worse of my knees feel unstable. I don't trust the Meidjo 'release'. And I wish I'd gotten the V6BC. But, I have what I have.

So far this year - this is only my third year learning about any of this after becoming officially cripple up on a piste in 2021 - I've learned that I really like 3-pin/75mm and found some plastic boots that fit well: Scarpa T4 that I don't even think I need new liners for, at least not yet. And, Garmont Veloce, they're great with the Scarpa liners but the Scarpa liners are a little short.

I've got this great V6 that I'd like to get into the mix and I'm wondering what to mount on it. I've removed the Meidjos and put in inserts in case I want to put them on again though I just don't trust my knees in those tall, stiff boots.

Here's what we're dealing with:
IMG_9601.jpg
And a close up.
IMG_9602.jpg
Those Meidjo need a lot of holes! I already know that I can't mount a 3-pin directly at boot center. But I can put on a 10mm Voile riser without encroaching too much. Is there any kind of 3-pin Switchback type binding? I'd prefer that over NTN but the Switch is NTN. It just seems a lot easier getting a 3-pin bail down as opposed to getting a cable over the back of the boot and I don't know what the Switchback mounting pattern looks like. Something like an Outlaw or Freedom would put a bunch more holes in the ski.

I could potentially use these on piste with friends and family or backcountry with skins.

Thoughts?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: What to mount on Voile V6

Post by mca80 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:40 pm

Switchback isn't NTN.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:24 pm

Not sure exactly what you mean by a "3 pin Switchback". A few questions to clarify:

By referencing the Switchback, do you mean you want to have a free pivot option?
By "3 pin", do you mean, literally, that you want pins on the binding?
Or, do you mean you want the 3 hole toe piece mount specifically, rather than the 4 hole standard, for some reason?

I have some suggestions for bindings and/or mounting, but the above info would be helpful.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Falkentind 62 (172), Asnes Gamme54 (190)
Favorite boots: Alaska Alpina XP
Alfa Free

Post by JohnSKepler » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:58 pm

phoenix wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:24 pm
Not sure exactly what you mean by a "3 pin Switchback". A few questions to clarify:

By referencing the Switchback, do you mean you want to have a free pivot option?
By "3 pin", do you mean, literally, that you want pins on the binding?
Or, do you mean you want the 3 hole toe piece mount specifically, rather than the 4 hole standard, for some reason?

I have some suggestions for bindings and/or mounting, but the above info would be helpful.
Got my wires crossed. Exploring 3-pin or 75mm with a free pivot option for the V6. I prefer 3-pin to 75mm though it seems to me like a 3-pin boot is 75 compatible. I don’t know if that’s always the case? You’re right, Switchback is not NTN.

Thanks for putting the right words in my mouth. Multi-tasking is not my strength!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:08 pm

I have no experience but I imagine your ski would be fun with a variety of moderately active bindings and light plastic or serious duty leather boots. Might be worthwhile just experimenting. Ideally suited to cheaper skis, but....

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:56 pm

Thanks for the update. Given the full picture, I'm recommending you just get the standard Switchback binding, and be done with it. The V6 is a lot of ski for T3's or 4's, and the Switch's will maximize those boots' preformance.

Regarding mounting, I'd use some, if not all, wooden plugs for the old holes, with a drop of good 2 part epoxy. Strong enough to allow close or even overlapping hols, if done correctly. I use plastic plugs too, if spacing is enough so that there's no concern about weakening the ski. Again, a drop of epoxy forthe plug.

I also prefer mounting tele's them farther back than boot center, but others have different preferences regarding mounting point.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:16 pm

Well on the bright side you don’t have to worry about Boot Jack and snow clogging your NTN binding causing all sorts of issues. I think you are 10 steps ahead by ditching that binding. Also don’t get me started on the Lynx. Same problems.

For 75mm I’d recommend Switchback X2 or AXL with that ski. The AXl is a lot more active than the Switchback and more adjustable. Biggest downside is weight. If you’re wanting something more neutral get the Switchback.

Looking at that ski with that many holes hopefully it can be remedied and be able to mount another binding.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:25 am

FWIW, I know a few people (including me) who ski the V6 with T3/T4. Caveats: This is with the Voile 3-pin cable binding. This is with the BC (scaled) version of the V6. Also, we are not "hard core" so this combination works well for us -- and we're lucky to have beautiful snow most of the time. Just putting another data point out there.

Mattafix

Post by Mattafix » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:01 am

https://earnyourturns.com/34683/telemar ... -patterns/
Since you‘ve already got two pairs of 75mm boots and you can drill the 4hole pattern the switchbacks needs, you can easily go that way. The boots may (hopefully!) be better on your knees. On the other hand Switchbacks aren’t releasable bindings. Will you trust in them more than in meidjos?
If 75mm isn’t the right way either - you could remount the meidjos (they do a better release job than switchbacks), turn down the spring rate, and get soft and light Scarpa F1 boots that you can tune to your needs. An F1 race feels even softer. You would have to install a bolt on duckbutt that isn’t easily found nowadays since you can’t get them on shapeways anymore.
https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... lies-south
Maybe you find someone who sells duckbutted F1s or someone sells spare duckbutts to bolt on. And Scarpa will release their new ~1500g boot in about one year...
I’ve been suffering from knee arthrosis for more then ten years now. There were baker‘s cysts and a lot of pain and restricted movement and a feeling of instability in both of my knees for one skiing season. Bauernfeind makes knee braces that support your knees (Genus Train S are expensive but worth every cent!). They COMPLETELY let all this disappear for me. I’ve been wearing them every single skiing day (except on my XCd and skating skis) and telemark turns feel like in my thirties🙂 I am really, really happy with these! I feel absolutely confident in ski marchs, Andrew TLK, T2eco on 3pins and SB x2 and in F1 race, F1, F3 on OMG TTS and Transits and TXpro on outlaws. I highly recommend these knee braces!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:22 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:22 pm
Is there any kind of 3-pin Switchback type binding?
Volie 3-pin hardwire: https://www.voile.com/voile-hardwire-3- ... nding.html
Great binding- I have it on two different skis. I don't like the Voile bale as much as Rotte's- but it is an excellent binding. The Voile bale is better for modern plastic Tele boots- the Rotte is better for leather touring boots.

You can also switch the Voile cartirdges (which are the same as the standard Switchback) for the stiffer Switchback x2 cartridges if you want more resistance.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.