kom vs Fischer Sbound 125 advice please

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rickg707

kom vs Fischer Sbound 125 advice please

Post by Rickg707 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:05 pm

hi all,

I'm pretty new to tele skiing. I tried downhill at resorts twice, but my main interest is nordic BC/XCD. I've been doing AT skiing (white mtns, NH) but am looking to do more low-moderate angle, lighter weight touring. I was thinking to get
Altai koms. I have 145 hoks but there lack of glide has been a an issue. Nils, at Altai, recommended the 162s for my size (6ft, 185-90), but I read elsewhere on here from 2106 thread that Fischer recommends 189 for my size. I have a chance to pick up some used Fischer 125s at 165cm. Koms are 162cm 124/98/120. fishers are 165cm 125/95/120. so, they sound almost identical but earlier comments from 2016 post make them sound otherwise different in how the perform and what they're best for. I'm hoping for updated 2024 opinions about the differences, and if the fishers would be too short.
I don't mind skis being a little shorter for weight and maneuverability, but I don't want to make a big and expensive mistake. thanks!

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Re: kom vs Fischer Sbound 125 advice please

Post by stilltryin » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:27 pm

If it is "low-moderate angle, lighter weight touring" that you are after, the S-bound 112 might be right. Sorry, I know that didn't answer your question, but perhaps relevant to your concern about "expensive mistake." Maybe if you say a bit more about your desired use, others may chime in.

Edit: Kom's have less camber than the S-bound 112 (sorry, I have no experience with the 125), so the S112 will tour more efficiently. On topic: I suspect the S-125 are a different ski than the Kom's, so going with the manufacturer's length suggestion is probably a better bet (unless of course if you hear differently from those who might know both). With a short S-bound, you would probably lose the advantage of the camber (i.e., you might be too heavy to get the spring back).

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:07 pm

Hello, I am going to offer my opinion, it’s just an opinion. I had an S-112. I weighed about 190 then as today. Kick and glide on the S-112 isn’t very good, scales tend to drag. I don’t know if the changed the rocker configuration from that model. The model I had broke trail pretty poorly. The ski does ski downhill in soft snow very nicely. It is quite poor downhill in firm to icy conditions as the air core construction doesn’t offer much torsional rigidity. The ski is a noodle on edge.
I don’t have any personal experience with the Kom. The guys that I trust. ski the 162, they say it pivots nicely, and they like it in eastern glades.
The S-125 was out for a few years and was discontinued. I think if it was a good ski, they still would be selling it.
I have heard guys complain about the climbing prowess of the Kom. However, I also have heard a little kick wax helps immensely.
I can’t see any advantage in skiing a short S-bound. Maybe if you dropped a size down, the ski might flex a little more and be a bit more surfy.
Good luck

After reading your post again, if you’re not getting the S-125 cheap, I personally, think it’s a mistake.

Rickg707

Post by Rickg707 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:18 am

thanks for the feedback, folks. i was eying the koms, which would be buying a new package for $900, or so. the SB125s 165cm are being sold on FB market place with cable bindings for $400. it peaked my interest because they are of almost equal size/dimension. I hadn't been considering them otherwise. I HAD been considering SB98s or maybe 112s (which I haven't seen around). if familiar with the NH white mountains, at all, I'm thinking of trails like Wildcat Valley trail and Avalanche brook trail, mellower tracks that do not require full AT gear, though likely kicker skins. I should be better with my angles but I'd guess 15-20 degrees (doubtful anything more than 30 at its steepest?). I wouldn't plan to go in icy conditions. K and g is not main concern but I would to have something thats at least decent for the t4rails that have a longer, flatter approach or run out. my hoks sucked for that.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:39 am

I didn’t know Koms were so expensive. Are you purchasing boots as well? If you are, perhaps you should start with that first.
I don’t own a Kom, but @Lo-Fi is a big fan, and skis them quite well in his videos.
I think the Koms make really good ski for glades. However perhaps someone else can comment on kick and glide, perhaps @lilcliffy ?
What kind of binding does that s-125 come with? Voile 3-pin Hawdwire cost over $250, Switchback X2 $350, maybe there is some value there? Binding usually last a few pair of skis.
$900 is blowing my mind a bit, you can buy a new Voile Vector for $750.
Please tell more about what you’re doing. I guess if the is a boot purchase involved? Right now I can’t completely understand.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:56 am

Koms are $429.95. It is $929 for a package with Koms, Scarpa T4'S, Voile cable bindings and poles. Not a bad deal.

Rickg707

Post by Rickg707 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:42 am

yes, what wabene said. the $900 was for skis, bindings, boots (I believe the poles are extra), though I'd think to skip the T4s and opt for a leather boot, I think. to answer fisheater's question, the seller wasn't sure of binding. he thought rotefella.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:51 am

If you want to ski leather boots, you want to ski mid-70 mm underfoot, or less. The Kom is too wide.
As far as wasting money, if you like this sport, a T-4 is good to have. So the Kom package isn’t bad, they are throwing the binding in.
If you want to go leather, you will need to decide what system. I would skip NNN-BC, unless you are already invested in it. It appears Xplore is an improvement for most people. The other alternative is 75 mm. I firmly believe Xplore will offer better performance, with the exception that 75 mm will offer better performance downhill will a cable, especially the Rottefella Super Telemark cable.
I use 75 mm for this class of skis. I think most guys are going explore.
So what ski? I like the Asnes offerings in this class, or you can go Madshus/Fischer offerings in 68/78 mm underfoot. I am attaching a link to a really good deal on an Asnes Falketind X. The also have good deals on leather Xplore boots. If you go 75 mm I like the most expensive one from Altai. Varuste also has a great price on the Rotte ST cable, and a good price on Xplore binding. The also have decent pricing on Fischer/Madshus
https://varuste.net/en/p126868/%C3%A5sn ... re-b-grade

Good luck

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:27 am

I'll provide a different opinion on "skipping nnn" for xplore. I also came from AT looking to ski lighter setups, and never really aimed to ski anything other than xcd, but got really into nordic eventually. It was never my intention, it just happened. Anyways, point being there's the potential to end up with many different setups with light bindings, where xplore will run you hundreds of dollars and there's no used market, you can have a pair of nnn bc for the price of a bottle of bourbon. Just my two cents. I've never tried xplore though, I hear they're excellent.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:39 am

Agreeing: Kom too wide for leather.