What ski would you use for this???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: What ski would you use for this???

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:21 pm

I can see that John. I bet if you contact Voile, they may have a softer spring option.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:57 am

Good that you got a nice tour John and were happy.

I have the FT62 and have skied it with Alfa Skaget a few times on flatter tours and Alfa Free on one tour so far (11 km round trip and 970 meters ascent/descent). I feel that both combinations are great depending on the tour and conditions, and so far Free seems to fit my feet without giving problems. The 58mm Xskins cover the whole base except from the steel edges and gives great grip even on steeper ascents (up to at least 15 degrees, but I have not measured the steepest, just averages). Rabb 68 could also have been an alternative, and I have not concluded if I would rather have that or my current FT62.

I would personally be using a wider ski than FT62 with F1/Transit or T2/Switchback, either Objective BC with scales and quick fit full length skins, or Nosi 76 with 74mm access skins. On hard snow the short skins grip well, but in loose snow full length skins is often needed. Perhaps someone could add access skin mounts to Objective BC for the ultimate in flexibility? Next year's Nosi seems to come in black, so perhaps there will be good sales on the current model.

There are/has been some selling Nosi with Xplore here in Norway, and if you only ski it on soft snow that might be nice, as with those using Objective BC. I get too little of those conditions here to warrant it, so inserts and changing the binding would be the alternative, but I think I personally would just go with Meidjo/Lynx or TTS. Each have to decide what works for them, depending on terrain, snow conditions, preferences/skill, current/future gear and cost/availability.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:34 am

e99's, Rotta Super Telemark bindings, and the lightest floppy soft leather boot with No plastic! TM

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:53 am

∆∆ testify @greatgt !! :lol: Your old butt may have blown right by em! C'mon you gotta admit it would be hilarious to see an old guy on skinnys & leather draped in wool blowing by ATers slogging along the flats.