Visiting Vermont this week

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
Lubega6
Ski style: Steeper terrain below tree line
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alaskas

Visiting Vermont this week

Post by Lubega6 » Tue May 03, 2022 9:39 pm

Hey there fellas,

As a proud Québecois, I will be visiting Vermont this week, camping for 4 days with my S.O. So far, we plan spend some time in Stowe area, Burlington and Champlain Isles (can't go much further south since we're short on time). That being said, we were wondering if any Vermont resident or ex-Vermont traveller had cool places to see / nice things to do that would be off the beaten path? This forum has its fair share of VT residents so I thought I would ask.

Thanks a lot :)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Visiting Vermont this week

Post by lowangle al » Wed May 04, 2022 7:09 am

I was just up in Vt. last weekend as part of a paddling road trip. We didn't ski, but Killington was open on and plans to open next weekend. Other than that, we stayed in Middlebury at the south end of the lake and had some great Mexican food at a place that served smoked pork belly tacos.

I don't know about Vt. but in NY the state parks are closed until the 18th but you can camp there for free. You can get a lakefront spot and have the place to yourself. Have fun.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:12 am

lowangle al wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:09 am
I was just up in Vt. last weekend as part of a paddling road trip. We didn't ski, but Killington was open on and plans to open next weekend. Other than that, we stayed in Middlebury at the south end of the lake and had some great Mexican food at a place that served smoked pork belly tacos.

I don't know about Vt. but in NY the state parks are closed until the 18th but you can camp there for free. You can get a lakefront spot and have the place to yourself. Have fun.
Where were you paddling in Vermont near Middlebury? Otter Creek? Full of nasty pike! Growing up my family had a house on Lincoln Gap Rd. in Warren. Spent all my summers there. Mad River country.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:03 am

Killington is awesome. You’ll get a good workout there on XC or XCD skis.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:03 pm

randoskier wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:12 am
lowangle al wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:09 am

Where were you paddling in Vermont near Middlebury? Otter Creek? Full of nasty pike! Growing up my family had a house on Lincoln Gap Rd. in Warren. Spent all my summers there. Mad River country.
We paddled Lake George. I had heard it was really beautiful, which it was.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:12 pm

Spent a week there when I was 10. Fond fuzzy memories

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:47 pm

Yeah, that's about the age when things start gettin fuzzy.

DavidSchmitt

Post by DavidSchmitt » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:17 pm

I learned for this forum the best