Covid vaccines

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Covid vaccines

Post by Stephen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 am

@Montana St Alum You’re making me look up words!

I had my first shot 3 weeks ago and haven’t grown hooves and started “Baaing” yet.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:02 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 am
@Montana St Alum You’re making me look up words!

I had my first shot 3 weeks ago and haven’t grown hooves and started “Baaing” yet.
Good luck. I made up most of them!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 pm

@Montana St Alum
Great details in your write-up, and thanks for sharing your course of action.

Believe another reason why Covid is so "successful", is because first world residents are typically living in a highly inflamed state as a baseline (diet, lifestyle, etc). When the immune systems responds, there is inflammation. If baseline inflammation is relatively high, then there is little reserve capacity for the system to fight off the Covid before it progresses into an infection.

In addition to a rigorous supplement regimen, I have been trying to alter my diet to help reduce inflammation. Small things like less gluten, being mindful of refined sugars, adding tumeric to my coffee filter, trying to consider my stress with work / family (it's me, not them) has been making me feel good. In retrospect, I should have been doing things like this far before Covid... but better late than never.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 pm
@Montana St Alum
Great details in your write-up, and thanks for sharing your course of action.

Believe another reason why Covid is so "successful", is because first world residents are typically living in a highly inflamed state as a baseline (diet, lifestyle, etc). When the immune systems responds, there is inflammation. If baseline inflammation is relatively high, then there is little reserve capacity for the system to fight off the Covid before it progresses into an infection.

In addition to a rigorous supplement regimen, I have been trying to alter my diet to help reduce inflammation. Small things like less gluten, being mindful of refined sugars, adding tumeric to my coffee filter, trying to consider my stress with work / family (it's me, not them) has been making me feel good. In retrospect, I should have been doing things like this far before Covid... but better late than never.
Yeah, we all should!

Kind of funny, an oncologist told me once that if he was diagnosed with melanoma, he'd immediately start drinking heavily and smoking, as melanoma is even more susceptible to oxidative stress than normal human cells. OTOH, maybe he just wanted to make his last months more fun.

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:23 pm

My wife has been going bonkers trying to book a shot of the Pfizer.. She finally got us scheduled for this Friday for a drive through that is 2 1/2 hours away and the other side of a mountain pass. The pass is closed right now due to avalanche danger. I love my wife and all but........

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 am

I got my first (Moderna) dose on Friday, here in Utah where we seem to be a couple of weeks ahead of schedule, hit the slopes HARD on Saturday with a little soreness at the injection site. Was going to head out to ski on Sunday in the afternoon but at about 1100 started to get a mild fever with associated lethargy. Napped hard and after about 4 hours the fever went away. Timing wise, I wonder if that correlates with the spike proteins being dumped into my system. Today I feel fine.

My reaction was definitely mild enough that I'd still get the vaccine and will get the second one.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:20 pm

I had the same vaccine and had very similar reaction. I might have had slightly less reaction the 2nd day, but think I still felt a little off. Three weeks out, no problems. 2nd shot in one week.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 am

Stephen wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:20 pm
I had the same vaccine and had very similar reaction. I might have had slightly less reaction the 2nd day, but think I still felt a little off. Three weeks out, no problems. 2nd shot in one week.
There's some new data that's kind of interesting on the two dose vaccines. The efficacy of the first dose was calculated at around 52%. But that efficacy was for the entire (in the case of Moderna) 28 days or so between doses. During the first 10 days or so, you wouldn't expect any immunological efficacy because it takes that long for the immune response to kick in. I think they went back and calculated efficacy for days 14 through 28, prior to the second dose, and came up with an efficacy of about 92% for that period.

If the second dose really is just to increase the duration of immunity, I could see changing the procedure to having the second dose more like 4-6 months later. That would have the added benefit of allowing more people to get at least one dose early on (the logistics of that are simplified) and possibly extending immunity.

Interesting stuff, for sure!
Dr. John Campbell has regular updates on this sort of information on YouTube.

NezachtoUsta

Post by NezachtoUsta » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 am

Wow, this is a great topic, thanks for the helpful information!

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:16 pm

Yah I'm waiting for the Sputnik.
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."