Winter Travel Trailer???

This is the place to debate politics, global warming, and yes, even the origin of man, whatever. Simply put, if you want to argue about off topic stuff, you've found the right board. Have fun!
tellmetaytay

Re: Winter Travel Trailer???

Post by tellmetaytay » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:26 am

A winter camping trailer specifically set up for skiing could be a great option to consider! Towing one would definitely be more affordable in the long run than trying to convert a van. Since lots of people already pull big snowmobile trailers, I don't think towing a smaller ski trailer would be an issue in winter conditions as long as the brakes and suspension are adequate. Insulating and heating the water/waste systems like you mentioned would be important. Could be a really cozy basecamp to retire to trails from. Might keep an eye out for older campers to renovate or consider a lightweight hard-shell trailer to customize yourself. Could end up being a lot of fun to road trip with for ski seasons to come!

chris_the_wrench

Re: Winter Travel Trailer???

Post by chris_the_wrench » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am

Most rv’s are built for a price point and their quality reflects it, especially insulation and cold weather performance. We’ve owned a sprinter and two truck campers. The sprinter froze up at zero f, my truck camper is good down to -25’ish f as long as i keep the propane flowing. I put my truck camper on a ram 5500 w/11.5’ long flatbed. Tons of storage for toys. The empty space between the cab and camper is where a bike/ski/big gear locker is going. I can fit four bikes if i pull two pedals or three bikes without pulling pedals.

The truck is 4x4 and drives great, even though
Its a base level trim, its very comfortable by my standards.

Coming back to a warm camper, hot shower and fresh baked cookies after a day in the mountains is amazing!!
IMG_7273.jpeg