Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
WinterWoodsman

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Fischer Traverse 78

Post by WinterWoodsman » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:12 am

Hi Manney,

Your time and response were greatly appreciated. I will look for a local shop to get fitted. I was not familiar with x-prize and had to look it up. I am guessing your point there was not to reinvent the wheel and keep it simple? I appreciate you mentioning the binding consideration. I have been using Scott excursion boots that are probably overkill but they do flex surprisingly well for being plastic. They have custom molded intuition liners and have been boot fitted to my abnormal feet. They also have helped me with control on the little sketchy parts when snow conditions are slick and icy. I also have a pair of Madshus Glittertinds NNN BC that fit well and have the cuff buckle and instep strap. Haven’t used them as much. I have also been undecided on how to mount the skis on the first go. Any input there would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks again to you and everyone in these forums.

WinterWoodsman

Post by WinterWoodsman » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:54 pm

greatgt wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:19 am
When on skinnies go as long as you think you can take then go longer. The RIDE is worth it and keeps you up in the deeps. TM
Thanks for the reply. An example of ski length I am considering would be the Fischer Traverse 78 in 189 cm. The manufacturers suggested weight range for that ski is 70 - 90 kg. With gear I would typically weigh about 77 kg. Would it be your recommendation in that case to go up to the 199 cm ski with a manufacturer's recommended 80 - 100 kg weight range? Bearing in mind that I do ski uneven surfaces on narrow wilderness trails on a wide range of snow conditions. Thanks again. Super appreciate the knowledge. Really just want one good pair of XC skis for what I do and want to stop making the mistake of getting the wrong ski for the purpose. I am not really looking to have different XC skis for different conditions and I understand that things will be sub-optimal a lot of the time. Totally ok with struggling for a while as a newbie to learn the right ski. Cheers!

Krakus
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard, Fischer BCX675

Post by Krakus » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:22 pm

Fischer changed the design of Traverse 78 again. They are longer, lighter, and instead of a mount for short skins they have slit in the tip for Fischer's full-lenght Super Skins. But I don't know anything about their performance - could anyone say something about it? Still XC- oriented?

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:52 pm

I’ve got the new version of the 78. Overall great ski, still getting use to it for strengths and weaknesses. One thing I found out today is the ski sure submarines in deep snow. My buddy on Voiles floated by me and I just sank in the snow. I’m running the longest length. This ski I find it a unique ski in my quiver. If there is a solid base and some snow on top they are quick and you can rack up a ton of miles. Any deep snow breaking trail I would want a different ski in my line. The ski is easy to climb, and seemed to turn well on the few turns I tried without sinking today. A great ski for those mellow days when all you just want to kick and glide and get somewhere. 🤙

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:32 pm

voilenerd wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:52 pm
I’ve got the new version of the 78. Overall great ski, still getting use to it for strengths and weaknesses. One thing I found out today is the ski sure submarines in deep snow. My buddy on Voiles floated by me and I just sank in the snow. I’m running the longest length. This ski I find it a unique ski in my quiver. If there is a solid base and some snow on top they are quick and you can rack up a ton of miles. Any deep snow breaking trail I would want a different ski in my line. The ski is easy to climb, and seemed to turn well on the few turns I tried without sinking today. A great ski for those mellow days when all you just want to kick and glide and get somewhere. 🤙
Of course it sinks more than v6's. I'd probably be faster on them than someone on v6s up to 18 inches of snow.