Ski Review: 2014 Fischer E-99 Crown Xtralite

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: 2014 Fischer E-99 Crown

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:41 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:23 pm
An authentic heel locator woods. Mostly a conversation starter to
Be honest! What is your edelweiss look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the left (green) is the early 80's E99, 210cm. Mismatched serial numbers. The graphics match up with Fischer downhill skis I see in early 80's ski races on youtube, so I imagine they just painted their whole lineup the same. I think I got these for something like $60 on ebay.

On the right with the edelweiss is what I believe is their E99's from the later 80's maybe early 90's. They are a little softer, with a lower profile tip, which is weird. Lower than the current E99's, actually. Still pretty solid. These are 180cm I got for my wife, but she has not skied them yet. I got these for $45 on ebay.

Disregard all the fun in the background. My Xtralites (which used to belong to Cannatonic) are on the far right.
IMG_20200405_203248.jpg
IMG_20200405_203241.jpg
Last edited by Woodserson on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:12 pm

Yes I’ve come across the l’edelweiss ones before. Looked decent for an old ski. Take care bro

I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Ski Review: 2014 Fischer E-99 Crown Xtralite

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:28 pm

I can smell it in the air here in the hills...

It has been crazy busya- crazy busy here for too long- I am looking forward to being buried in white.

So- to get back to the topic of the E99 Xtralite-

I truly do love this ski-

It is light, snappy, fast, smooth, and Fischer's Offtrack Crown is fabulous!

However- in my personal backcountry I find the E99 Crown Xtralite unstable-
unstable to the point of it being dangerous-
I have almost broken my leg- and my face- one too many times...

The spring snow here is very deep- and it melts and rots-
the E99 Crown is light and fast-
I get up to cruising speed very easily on Spring snow with this touring ski- but it is built for consolidated, stable snow- not deep melting snow.

The Fischer 78 is more stable than the E99 Crown Xtralite- though it is heavier and slower-
The Asnes Gamme 54 is more stable than the E99 Xtralite- and the Gamme + X-skin is just as fast over distance on wet warm snow. But- the kicker skin sucks downhill-
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

mx.deiters

Re: Ski Review: 2014 Fischer E-99 Crown Xtralite

Post by mx.deiters » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:09 am

Hi e99 fans. Found this ski in a second hand shop for 40 USD (350 Swedish Kronor) and was super happy about. I wanna explore the Swedish fjellen with these but hoping on some advice from the experts here. Are these good for long tours with sled? Is 75 mm binding preferred? And does the wax less version provide good enough grip?

Thanks in advance from a grateful newbie
9C859193-06F1-45B8-9F38-0C5C49D3F7DF.jpeg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:07 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:54 pm

2 versions. Waxable and waxless. I would assume the graphics changed several times without an actual change of its specs in that era.

ahHA! I found a WAX (Tour) generation of the E99 that was produced just prior to the Xtralites. This is the last non-rockered E99. It is the BCX Europa 99 Crown/Tour, as bgregoire notes, it came in a many graphics but same dimensions with slight construction differences to the binding mounting area. Not to fanboy you too hard, @bgregoire , but I had to find one after your recommendations. I found the crown last year, and I just scored the wax. I can't believe it in my length too! Unreal.

The dimensions of this pre-Xtralite 99 are 68-55-62, no rocker, a slightly less camber than the Xtralite. Between the Crown Xtralite and the Crown Europa 99 I've found the Xtralite to be slightly faster, but the Europa has a more solid feel on the snow, which makes sense as they are heavier (duh, not Xtralite).

I am absolutely chuffed I found the Tour version, I can't wait to take it for a spin. I've been trying to show my wife but she doesn't get it, and nods politely but the excitement, this ski, doesn't light that fire for her as it does me. Thanks Ben!
PXL_20211005_234919678.jpg
(now I need to get an Xtralite Wax/EZ-Skin so I can compare the Xtralites)