Ski Review: 2014 Fischer E-99 Crown Xtralite

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: 2014 Fischer E-99 Crown

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi Ben,
No- I think the Nordic rocker is fine (though I think the current E99 Xtralite has bit too much for my liking on a ski in this class).

My issue is not the Nordic rocker but the soft unstable front section of the ski-

I have recently realized that we all keep talking about the "tip" of a ski- which is really not specific enough for describing Nordic touring skis- when we say the tip is stiff/stable- do we mean the actual raised tip- or do we mean the section of the ski ahead of the "kick" zone? (I remember having an "argument" with MikeK on my Combat Nato review where he was insisting that I was wrong and that the Ingstad/Combat Nato had a soft tip- I agreed saying that the raised tip of the Combat Nato was flexible- but when I originally described the Combat Nato as having a stiff and stable "tip" what I was describing was the stability of the front third of the ski base.)

For example- my Combat Nato has a "soft" or "supple" or "flexible" tip- and what I mean here is the actual raised tip- but, this ski has a full-length stable flex- supportive in the deepest and most unstable snow.
By contrast- the front third of the E-109 Xtralite (forward of the kick zone) is much softer and less stable than the rest of the ski- making this ski unstable in deep and unstable snow.
The flex pattern of the E99 Xtralite is similar to the E-109- the front third of the ski- ahead of the kick zone it is unstable.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:57 pm

I really do love my Fischer E99s Xtralites. And while I agree with almost everything LC says in his latest post about this, I will say I would not want the E99 shovel (instead of tip?) area to be as stiff and supportive as the Gamme.

...Even writing this now I'm a bit conflicted actually because I think it depends on the application of the ski...

Apples to Apples, I can turn the E99 better than I can turn the Gamme in weirdo conditions. The softer tip allows me to do this, and as such I enjoy it more in weirdo snow conditions when some turns may be necessary as I descend the trail. See E99 Powder-8s to illustrate. I can turn the Gamme as well, but it is definitely more of a struggle for me. I do like the Gamme's stiffer shovel however for blasting through crusty conditions and being more solid, so there is that. It's a tough call.

My Approach to Choosing a Ski for the Day:

I approach the E99 as a lighter, less demanding ski with a better kick and a waxless base that really flies in wet, sleety, corn snow (take your pick).

I approach the Gamme when I want an expedition ski to take me the distance and not break, and while it won't fly under my feet it will be a solid damp ride that will save energy over the long haul.

Story: Over this winter I skied the entirety of a local lake that I often loop for exercise. We had 4" of wet thick snow and I used the Gammes and the mohair skin and put down some several miles. The skiing was fine. It sleeted a bunch and then started raining. I got back to the car at dark, and realized I had dropped an important component of my phone at the far end of the lake. It costs about $7 but this was a grand excuse for a nighttime adventure and I stripped off my sweater, threw on my Tyrolean hat and grabbed my E99's, as I knew I could sprint to the location on the far side of the lake quicker with the Outback Crown and the springy step of the E99's. We flew through the rain soaked snow and I bet I kissed my beautiful E99's back at the car. This is an example what those skis are for.

If I was going to traverse the 17 mile Pemi Wilderness in the White Mountains, I'd be on the Gammes.

What I would like to see, in conclusion as I gather my thoughts, is TWO E99'S, like Fischer does with track skis.

1 E99 Xtralite BC with nordic rocker and a softer shovel (the current version)
2 E99 Traditional with traditional camber and a stiff shovel to crush the the crust (I too don't like breaking crust with the base of the ski 1/3 back. Horrors.) Basically an Admundsen. But with OUTBACK CROWN. (you know, the waxless base that actually works)
Last edited by Woodserson on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:22 pm

Interesting guys. I own a waxable pre xtralite e99, a waxless xtralite and the amundsen. Given the differences we see amongst all these quite similar skis, I would not equate the e99 trad with the amundsen. They are quite different. Amundsen is even stiffer throughout and has a huge double camber. I prefer the trad 99 over Both the xtralite and the amundsen for my needs. Wish I had the gamme to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:43 pm

Oh wow, that's really interesting. I have an early 80's E99 and that thing is a beast. It's WAX and blows through crust like almost none of my other skis. It's so bad ass it's almost intimidating.

I feel like I need to search eBay for more E99's and horde them like toilet paper.

bgregoire

2014 Fischer E-99 Crown

Post by bgregoire » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:53 pm

Woods, my e99 trad would be from about 2000-2010. Very well made. I found a very old pair the other day with aluminium edges. They did not seem like much fun so did not take those. Try to find a pair from the 2000s, with colourful graphics and thick plastic top sheet. They are great

Last edited by bgregoire on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:03 pm

Thanks Woods, you have me thinking about an E-99 crown now! I need more snow, not more skis!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:53 pm
Woods, my e99 trad would be from about 2000-2010. Very well made. I found a very old pair the other day with aluminium edges. They did not seem like much fun so did not take those. Try to find a pair from the 2000s, with colourful graphics and thick plastic sheet. They are great

Can you put up a picture? Is it the one with the little Edelweiss?

bgregoire

2014 Fischer E-99 Crown

Post by bgregoire » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:54 pm

2 versions. Waxable and waxless. I would assume the graphics changed several times without an actual change of its specs in that era.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:21 pm

Is that a heel-finder!?!?

Thank you for this! Not what I was expecting, I will definitely keep my eye out.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:23 pm

An authentic heel locator woods. Mostly a conversation starter to
Be honest! What is your edelweiss look like?